Gabapentin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Has anyone here ever been prescribed Gabapentin for pain? I had multiple side effects with it. Weight gain, headaches, nausea, foggy headed. The main issue was it affecting my legs. It makes my leg muscles weak and makes it hard to walk. It is becoming a very often prescribed drugs. I only posted this because I read that many doctors don't tell patients about the side effects.

Gabapentinoids have significant risks despite their reputation as safe drugs. Central nervous system effects such as sedation, dizziness, gait instability, and feeling intoxicated are quite common; as many as one in three patients taking therapeutic doses will experience dizziness or somnolence.Dec 1, 2019

Gabapentinoids for Pain: Potential Unintended Consequences​

Gabapentin Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term

Commonly reported side effects of gabapentin include: ataxia, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, fever, nystagmus disorder, sedated state, and viral infection. Other side effects include: blurred vision, diplopia, peripheral edema, tremor, amblyopia, irritability, and xerostomia. Continue reading for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.

Applies to gabapentin: oral gabapentin conventional capsules and tablets, oral gabapentin conventional oral solution, oral gabapentin enacarbil extended-release tablets, oral gabapentin gastroretentive tablets.

I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs, from the knees down. And pretty severe nerve pain in my feet.
It's not from diabetes.
Because it started in my toes at age 40, I don't think it's age related but from consuming so much Agent Orange contaminated water at age 21 in the Republic of Vietnam.

Because I used so much NSAID drugs in such large doses for enough years to have had several episodes of bleeding stomach ulcers I am no longer able to use any OTC pain med other than Tylenol.
So, I began my journey with gabapentin. It worked really good for me but a tolerance for the drug develops. I was up to 300 mg three times a day and needed more. My doctor didn't want to increase the dosage any higher due to possible complications for my kidneys.

So, now I'm on a similar nerve blocker called Lyrica. It works pretty well, but I still have occasional excruciating pain. At my next appointment I'll see if the dosage can be bumped up a bit.

I had none of the side effects that you listed.

The doc gave me a script for 10Mg of Hydrocodone every 6 hours for pain. I learned that if I bit my pills in half and took 5Mg every 3 hours I could avoid the mushy headed feeling. I still have to worry about the bowels slowing down but magnesium takes care of that side effect and provides other benefits.

That stuff almost killed my mom about 5 yrs ago. My sis was after mom's money, got a PA to prescribe it to mom, got her all doped up, and put in a home. Husband and I went and rescued her. Found her in a wheelchair (she was walking fine before), head drooped, drooling, barely speaking. Disgusting. My pharmacist daughter says it's on the top ten list of things prescribed to seniors. My guess is to kill them faster.

Gabapentin is used off label by many veterinarians for pain. It's really an anti seizure med, slows unwanted brain activity. It works as a sedative. Many vets prescribe it after spaying and neutering because of the calming effect, it will also enhance other pain meds! I wouldn't use it for an extended time!!

[ Disclaimer: There's always that one person who thinks a post is directed at them when it isn't, so I will say in advance, when I say "you" below, or any other word that might be considered "directed", that is not my intent. I am speaking generically only. ]

All drugs can have side effects. They get approved, because most people don't experience those side effects. Or because the side effects are insignificant. This does not diminish the problems that some people have with the side effects though. We need to keep tabs on that. But, as in this example, I would not want Gabapentin to be removed from the market because some people have side effects. I feel that way about all drugs. Even .... yes ... vaccines. Even ... yes ... the covid vaccines. If the majority of patients taking a drug were experiencing significant side effects, that drug would not be on the market. So the few that do have side effects should just avoid that drug once they learn they have problems with it, IMHO. If things were otherwise, we wouldn't have Tylenol, Advil, aspirin, or any other drug available to us. It the side effects are major or life threatening, and they happen in a significant percentage of the population, that drug needs to at least be investigated further if not taken off the market. Most every drug could be called "toxic", "poison", or whatever other nasty word you want to give them. Yep, they are indeed that. That's usually what makes them work for their intended purpose. It's also what makes some people experience side effects or even worse adverse effects. FWIW, Gabapentin is a life changer (in a good way) for many. If you're not in that group, then stay away from it.

Alcohol is toxic. It kills brain cells. It destroys livers. It makes you fat. It impairs judgement. It exaberates all kinds of other conditions. It causes some people to become alcoholic. It kills many, including innocent people who are not even the ones consuming it. It's pretty hard to come up with anything good that alcohol does. There are very few - if any - medical drugs that would be considered worse than alcohol. How many here would vote to ban alcohol? I figure only a handful. The rest understand the risks, maybe hope for better control of them, but aren't in favor of banning alcohol. Myself included.

Rivastigamine is another one overprescribed. Couldn't figure out why mom stopped eating, had constant UTI's, and was generally more confused. Turns out, 10 percent of people taking this med had the same side effects. 10 percent is huge! And it's still prescribed. Someone's making money.

[ Disclaimer: There's always that one person who thinks a post is directed at them when it isn't, so I will say in advance, when I say "you" below, or any other word that might be considered "directed", that is not my intent. I am speaking generically only. ]

All drugs can have side effects. They get approved, because most people don't experience those side effects. Or because the side effects are insignificant. This does not diminish the problems that some people have with the side effects though. We need to keep tabs on that. But, as in this example, I would not want Gabapentin to be removed from the market because some people have side effects. I feel that way about all drugs. Even .... yes ... vaccines. Even ... yes ... the covid vaccines. If the majority of patients taking a drug were experiencing significant side effects, that drug would not be on the market. So the few that do have side effects should just avoid that drug once they learn they have problems with it, IMHO. If things were otherwise, we wouldn't have Tylenol, Advil, aspirin, or any other drug available to us. It the side effects are major or life threatening, and they happen in a significant percentage of the population, that drug needs to at least be investigated further if not taken off the market. Most every drug could be called "toxic", "poison", or whatever other nasty word you want to give them. Yep, they are indeed that. That's usually what makes them work for their intended purpose. It's also what makes some people experience side effects or even worse adverse effects. FWIW, Gabapentin is a life changer (in a good way) for many. If you're not in that group, then stay away from it.

Alcohol is toxic. It kills brain cells. It destroys livers. It makes you fat. It impairs judgement. It exaberates all kinds of other conditions. It causes some people to become alcoholic. It kills many, including innocent people who are not even the ones consuming it. It's pretty hard to come up with anything good that alcohol does. There are very few - if any - medical drugs that would be considered worse than alcohol. How many here would vote to ban alcohol? I figure only a handful. The rest understand the risks, maybe hope for better control of them, but aren't in favor of banning alcohol. Myself included.
Many of the severe side effects from Gabapentin are on the "most common" list. It is being prescribed for things it has NOT been tested to treat.

As I mentioned, I experienced none of the side effects using gabapentin.
And yes, it was a life changer for me. If you have been in constant pain for years, decades, and something relieves that pain it is indeed a life changer. Very much so.
The big plus for me is this drug does not make one "high" like being prescribed opiates would.

Lyrica, what I currently use, is a nerve blocker like gabapentin. I read the listed side effects of it when first prescribed, and once again have none.

As Haertig said, if you experience side effects of a certain drug, don't take it. But don't try to stop others who find therapeutic value in that drug.

As I mentioned, I experienced none of the side effects using gabapentin.
And yes, it was a life changer for me. If you have been in constant pain for years, decades, and something relieves that pain it is indeed a life changer. Very much so.
The big plus for me is this drug does not make one "high" like being prescribed opiates would.

Lyrica, what I currently use, is a nerve blocker like gabapentin. I read the listed side effects of it when first prescribed, and once again have none.

As Haertig said, if you experience side effects of a certain drug, don't take it. But don't try to stop others who find therapeutic value in that drug.
I have a niece that has every side effect on every drug she has ever taken, and a few extra. People are different. Some drugs work better for certain people, or they require a different dosage.

at one time I was in severe pain and was on morphine. With hydrocodone as a break through along with gabapentin
Gabby is an anti inflammatory drug it is not a pain relief drug. It does work and works well for me
I got tired of being in a drugged state of mind like a somber and told the dr to take the pain meds and stick em
I am thinking of trying thc gummies

I have been on 300mg a day, my doc has me taking it at bedtime. I can't really tell if it does any good. I also take [1] 7.5 hydrocone evry 3 hours. I haven't noticed any negative side effects. I have chronic joint pain and it is somewhat debilitating when I get flare ups.

My mom looked like a non responsive, dying zombie on it, but my favorite cousin's husband was put on it after a stroke, and after three days on it, they took him off. He was combative, screaming awful stuff at everyone. She had a neighbor whose mom reacted that same way, too.

I have been on 300mg a day, my doc has me taking it at bedtime. I can't really tell if it does any good. I also take [1] 7.5 hydrocone evry 3 hours. I haven't noticed any negative side effects. I have chronic joint pain and it is somewhat debilitating when I get flare ups.
I noticed when I was on opioids that the “high” feeling was no longer an issue after the first year
What I objected to was being lathargic and wanting to sleep most of the time
So the dr gave me a drug called
Modafinil To keep me awake

My mom looked like a non responsive, dying zombie on it, but my favorite cousin's husband was put on it after a stroke, and after three days on it, they took him off. He was combative, screaming awful stuff at everyone. She had a neighbor whose mom reacted that same way, too.
Lol. I got combative and the life flight crew member said. “Aww hell no! injected me with a drug that made me unable to move

What I objected to was being lethargic and wanting to sleep most of the time

The hydrocodone has the opposite effect on me, I have to watch that I don't take it too close to bedtime as it keeps me awake.

I have never had to take it, but thanks for sharing. Forewarned is forearmed. I will be very cautious about taking it at all.

Lol. I got combative and the life flight crew member said. “Aww hell no! injected me with a drug that made me unable to move
Yeah, bad news to have someone putting up a fight in a small, enclosed, flying hunk of metal. That can't be allowed, no matter what the cause, even if it wasn't the patients fault - for everyones safety. A dose of Ketamine would probably help.

Yeah, bad news to have someone putting up a fight in a small, enclosed, flying hunk of metal. That can't be allowed, no matter what the cause, even if it wasn't the patients fault - for everyones safety. A dose of Ketamine would probably help.
Having been a flight medic, my first job was to protect the pilot from the patient.

I went on a flight where the boyfriend had shot the girlfriend. I went after her. When I got there he wanted to come back with us. The clinic really wanted him out of the village. The only plane available was a twin otter so we had plenty of room. I said okay but one of the Health Aides had to go with me. He was fine when I got there I told the Health Aide that her job was to keep him in his chair till I got over to help control him. He didn't act up and went quietly into the Trooper's custody when we landed.

Has anyone here ever been prescribed Gabapentin for pain? I had multiple side effects with it.
So did you stop taking it? How did you stop if you did? Did you go cold turkey or ween yourself off of it? Results? I have severe leg weakness and I have attributed it to my stroke. Perhaps it is the big G

So did you stop taking it? How did you stop if you did? Did you go cold turkey or ween yourself off of it? Results? I have severe leg weakness and I have attributed it to my stroke. Perhaps it is the big G
Since gabapentin is a nerve blocker and not some kind of opioid, there is no need to ween off it.
You simply stop taking it. Done. No problem.

BUT - I would check with my doctor before stopping ANY prescription drugs.

Last edited:
Right at the top of the list of most common side effects is "it Affects your gait". A little farther down it mentions leg muscle weakness. Gabapentin was originally authorized to be used for seizures.

My primary painkillers are Goody powders, aspirin, and THC.
I can't have alcohol or opiate-based crap anymore, they both
give me ultra-panic attacks if I go to sleep on them.

I knew someone who was on a higher than recommended dose. They gradually bumped him up over a period of weeks. When he decided to quit taking it he weaned himself down backwards from how they bumped him up. He didn't ask the doctor, just did it, and requested something else.

Latest posts

Back