Gabapentin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right at the top of the list of most common side effects is "it Affects your gait". A little farther down it mentions leg muscle weakness. Gabapentin was originally authorized to be used for seizures.
In my case, I doubt if anyone could tell, least of all me.
Since a normal person's feet are constantly sending signals to the brain concerning movement, attitude, and other things, and since I'm numb from the knees down, I weaved around like a drunk anyway.:D
This is the biggest reason why old people fall down a lot.

I know that my neuropathy is not age related, however, since it first started in my feet at age 40.
I highly suspect that was because of a year spent drinking, and bathing in water contaminated with Agent Orange. Our food was cooked with that water too.
If that's all the effects for me I'm blessed. So many have already died from that poison. I just lost another good friend yesterday after a long battle with cancer. We were in the same unit.

When I first got the nerve damage from having shingles, they prescribed something that didn't work for the pain. They put me on a low dose of gabby and had to increase the dosage.

The only side effects I have are weight gain and a slow brain for about 30 minutes after I take a dose. I hate to hear about the side effects others are having.

When I first got the nerve damage from having shingles, they prescribed something that didn't work for the pain. They put me on a low dose of gabby and had to increase the dosage.

The only side effects I have are weight gain and a slow brain for about 30 minutes after I take a dose. I hate to hear about the side effects others are having.
The original prescribing doctor never gave me precise instructions on taking gabapentin or explained how it works.
Another doctor did.
You most likely were instructed to take three capsules a day.
What I wasn’t originally told was to take them at the same time each day. It takes about a week for there to be a constant level of efficacy on the nerves in your brain. Taking them at the same time each day keeps the dosage affects even.

I’m now on Lyrica, which works pretty much the same, but is only taken twice per day.

The hydrocodone has the opposite effect on me, I have to watch that I don't take it too close to bedtime as it keeps me awake.
That crap gives me nightmares I can't wake up from and I trash everything within reach of my bed until I punch something hard enough to hurt bad enough to jolt me out of it.

BOT
I was prescribed it for a bad shoulder, I think I still have some left in my medicine chest at the other trailer. it did zip, so I bought a gallon of Cuervo.

Has anyone here ever been prescribed Gabapentin for pain? I had multiple side effects with it. Weight gain, headaches, nausea, foggy headed. The main issue was it affecting my legs. It makes my leg muscles weak and makes it hard to walk. It is becoming a very often prescribed drugs. I only posted this because I read that many doctors don't tell patients about the side effects.

Gabapentinoids have significant risks despite their reputation as safe drugs. Central nervous system effects such as sedation, dizziness, gait instability, and feeling intoxicated are quite common

I stopped taking it shortly after this thread was started, my legs are still wobbly but are improving. If I'm in an open area where I can walk freely, I can do so much better.

In the last 2 weeks I have been in 3 different stores that required walking, Aldi, Harbor Freight and today Lowes. My legs have not given out on me and plopped me on the floor or ground one time in that period.

I stopped taking it shortly after this thread was started, my legs are still wobbly but are improving. If I'm in an open area where I can walk freely, I can do so much better.

In the last 2 weeks I have been in 3 different stores that required walking, Aldi, Harbor Freight and today Lowes. My legs have not given out on me and plopped me on the floor or ground one time in that period.
Gabapentinoids have significant risks despite their reputation as safe drugs.

BTW, thanks for starting the thread, I was convinced my issues were leftovers from the stroke, some of it is I'm sure, but have noticed significant improvement since I quit taking the Gabapentin.

BTW, thanks for starting the thread, I was convinced my issues were leftovers from the stroke, some of it is I'm sure, but have noticed significant improvement since I quit taking the Gabapentin.
That's why vets prescribe it for dogs with SEVERE storm fears....it keeps them calm and not wanting to get up!! ☹️

Latest posts

Back