Garage/pole barn advice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fort

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am looking to build a garage or pole barn to go with my farmhouse on a little over an acre.

I currently have 3 vehicles, but I am selling one soon and plan to have 1-2 vehicles for a while. I don't have a tractor now, but I want to be sure that I have space for one once I get to the point of doing my own mowing and other exterior work. I also plan to have 2 motorcycles and I want room for dirt bikes and regular bikes for my son and me. Maybe even some 4 wheelers :)

Does anyone have any advice for what to get or not get? I don't want to build this and then wish I did something differently... including making it bigger. So far I know that I want at least a 3 car garage, plenty of room to get between cars, at least one oversized door (for that truck I may get at some point :cool:), at least 2' of space between the furthest garage doors and the walls closest to them, and a people door that faces the house.

I have received the following suggestions so far: a French drain, coating to protect the floor, blocks up the bottom of the sides so I don't have to worry about getting the bottom sides of the garage wet if I wash cars in it, and troughs for getting water out if I wash cars in it.

There are so many variables that influence a project like that. Are you going to work in the garage? What kind of work? Will you need to build bays? Etc!!

There are so many variables that influence a project like that. Are you going to work in the garage? What kind of work? Will you need to build bays? Etc!!
This is why I need help. I didn't know there were so many questions left. :confused;

I do want to put a heavy bag in so I can practice my hand to hand skills. I want to be able to do some vehicle maintenance on my own, especially with the smaller vehicles.

This is why I need help. I didn't know there were so many questions left. :confused;

I do want to put a heavy bag in so I can practice my hand to hand skills. I want to be able to do some vehicle maintenance on my own, especially with the smaller vehicles.
Pictures of your property would also help people understand that even with 1 acre you have space limitations on the design and location.

Build it as big as you can. They seem to shrink real fast once in use.

We had a monster garage at out old home. Thing was about 3 bays wide and almost deep enough to tandem park. Between the L series Kubota, the bush hog, the power tools it was stuffed. To do any work the tractor had to come out and the work had to be completed that day so the tractor didn't stay out.

The funny thing is where she lives it seems very few people even have a garage let alone a car port. But that might be the solution is for her to add a car port close to the house for her daily driver and then put up a smaller pole barn further away for toys, projects, the other auto and a mower.

The funny thing is where she lives it seems very few people even have a garage let alone a car port. But that might be the solution is for her to add a car port close to the house for her daily driver and then put up a smaller pole barn further away for toys, projects, the other auto and a mower.
I thought about this. It would keep that view that I love so much :D

You want to put that much stuff in it you'll never have one big enough. I chose to have a few lean too's on the outside of mine that I can put things in the rain is no worry to. My tractor can get wet put is kept out of the serious weather. Right now i have an RV parked under the main building and I am not doing a floor or walls. What you want though is going to be like 80x80 minimum. That's HUGE..... Mine is 20 x 40 you can park my 32 foot 5er under it. The lean too has my tractor under it and a bit of room to spare.

What ever size you decide on, DOUBLE IT. Then you might get a year or two before you run out of space. been there, and keep going back again :bang Head:

Personally I don't think you can build a carport from scratch, much if any, cheaper then you can buy one. I paid $695 for my 18x24 carport and they came and constructed it in about 45 minutes. Best money I ever spent. It keeps the car from baking in the sun and windshield from freezing over in the winter.

Personally I don't think you can build a carport from scratch, much if any, cheaper then you can buy one. I paid $695 for my 18x24 carport and they came and constructed it in about 45 minutes. Best money I ever spent. It keeps the car from baking in the sun and windshield from freezing over in the winter.
Pictures?

housendogs 003.JPG
I have since enclosed half of the carport and I also installed vinyl siding I had left over from when I sided the house.
Here is a link from ebay. If you drive around your area I am guessing you will see these sitting on a lot with a phone number to call. I see them often as I am driving around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carport-SA...&sd=152753066633&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Here is pic of mine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 2738 I have since enclosed half of the carport and I also installed vinyl siding I had left over from when I sided the house.
Here is a link from ebay. If you drive around your area I am guessing you will see these sitting on a lot with a phone number to call. I see them often as I am driving around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carport-SALE-Free-Installation-Delivery-Prices-good-for-Florida-Georgia-only/152753066633?var=452448719779&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49565&meid=0c27362813204e2da52c144f0533f570&pid=100623&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=152753066633&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Here is pic of mine now.
Thanks, I just wanted Fort to see what you were talking about as a "car port". The definition seems to differ slightly from state to state. ;)

If you want something with REAL usable space, this is what you need & you can always add on !..............And a wind will NOT blow it over............
B3n6BNoIcAANUxL.jpg

One thing to check is the permit process for each too. Here I can build an ag building for 35 bucks with no inspection. I can do a pole barn garage for 80 buck with one inspection and then no permits needed for concrete or siding. If I permit a garage as a garage it will be about a grand and inspections the same as building a house.

I am building a pole barn right now that is 24 x 36. Pole barn trusses 12 foot on center 6x6 treated for poles, I have about 3k into materials but still need siding and concrete for the floor.

If I were you I'd do: 40x60 minimum, 50x80 would be better.

Overhead doors opposite each other on the ends, plus one on one side.

How cold does it get where you are? If you get freezing weather where the highs are below freezing for several days, an insulated and heatable section is nice to have. Say, 32 to 40 feet wide. This does cut into usable space because of the interior walls.

Most here will probably disagree, but I think you can get away with pea gravel under any part of the shed that is storage only. Any workshop area needs concrete.

Consider how much it will cost to run electricity, water, (a bathroom is handy and you'll want water available for projects) and gas for heating if necessary.

And last but not least consider the approaches to your overhead doors and how much rock you'll need for driveways, turning circles, etc.

And since you've had mice, I would strongly consider placing a strip of white crushed rock all the way around the shed, at least 3 feet wide. Do not landscape or place any greenery in it. The mice naturally tend to avoid it as they stand out against the white rock. They will cross it eventually if you give them a reason to, like if there's food or bedding material in the shed. But it does help.;)

I agree, go big. I have a 30 x 40 shop and it's way to small, I also have an attached 3 car garage and building the 24 x 36. Down the road in gonna build a 50 x 100 building.

Trouble with size is she's mostly on a hill side so unless she want a "bat cave" 30X50 may be the biggest she can get and even then the cost of producing a level spot will be considerable.

Trouble with size is she's mostly on a hill side so unless she want a "bat cave" 30X50 may be the biggest she can get and even then the cost of producing a level spot will be considerable.
Going into the hillside is a viable option. She'll need an engineering firm to get the drainage all worked out so it doesn't get wet inside but digging it into the hill and using pony walls has advantages. Cooler in summer, warmer in winter, water can be made to run away from the walls using the contours of the slope, and she could even have a walk in hay loft. The farm I grew up on had a late 1800s barn built that way and it did stay warm for the animals, plus you could walk right into the loft.

Going into the hillside is a viable option. She'll need an engineering firm to get the drainage all worked out so it doesn't get wet inside but digging it into the hill and using pony walls has advantages. Cooler in summer, warmer in winter, water can be made to run away from the walls using the contours of the slope, and she could even have a walk in hay loft. The farm I grew up on had a late 1800s barn built that way and it did stay warm for the animals, plus you could walk right into the loft.
Yeah, she's trying to stay under the National Budget to get this done. :ROLF:

Yeah, she's trying to stay under the National Budget to get this done. :ROLF:
But a loft sounds really nice... plus then I could keep my views ;):D

But a loft sounds really nice... plus then I could keep my views ;):D

So you're ready for a $120,000 barn?

You'd be better off to sell that place and buy a place with an attached garage.

If a sawmill is close by, check on using rough sawn lumber. It's a lot less expensive!

Labor is over 50% of the cost. Hopefully she has some gooood friends.

Get you a carport or larger kit as needed and they even put it up for you. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get what you are wanting.

BTW You really need check for any building codes in your county of area. The commies have taken over many things believe it or not. I read about a nightmare a guy was having just wanting to construct a workshop on HIS property. His biggest problem was finding someone licensed and approved by the county to do the work in his area that he could get a permit to build.

Get you a carport or larger kit as needed and they even put it up for you. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get what you are wanting.

BTW You really need check for any building codes in your county of area. The commies have taken over many things believe it or not. I read about a nightmare a guy was having just wanting to construct a workshop on HIS property. His biggest problem was finding someone licensed and approved by the county to do the work in his area that he could get a permit to build.
When I lived in California I wanted to put up a pole structure, just the roof and poles, no siding or floor. Now I am a contractor so the work is easy. It was going to cost me 12k in engineering and studies of the kangaroo rat before I could be told if I could pull the permit.

Latest posts

Back