Garden 2018

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my new Hoss wheel hoe on Friday.
Easy to assemble and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works out.
I took apart an old raised bed and spread the dirt around in the rest of my garden today.
I tilled the whole garden again and leveled it out some.
Raked up some grass roots.
Temperature got up to 53, no wind earlier and the sun was shining.
It was a good day playing in the dirt.
Steaks on the grill tonight.
I love being retired.:)

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat waiting for the postie to deliver my cassava plants.

They've been in the mail since Monday last week and sat over the weekend in their box.
It's a blow that Australia Postal workers don't work on weekends but then they're government employees so....

My cassava plants turned up and the poor, poor things look like they've been through a mill.
The leaves were yellow and falling off and there was next to no potting soil left around the roots in their pots.
What little soil there was, was bone dry.
I praise the Lord these plants are suppose to be tough and it would seem that claim is being put to the test.

Another thing I noticed about this particular cultivar of cassava is the leaves look a lot like a certain illegal medicinal herb!
All I can do is shake my head and laugh and stick to the original plan of planting them in the front yard.
If some hop-head is silly enough to steal the leaves then they'll be dismayed by the cyanide poisoning they'll get after they light up.
Some people have to learn everything the hard way.

I started a bunch of stuff in January (peppers, herbs etc...). Started the tomatoes a week ago, they can be planted outdoors in another 3-4 weeks.

Am running out of grow light space and carry the plants outdoors for sun most days. This is only my second year so everything is a learning experience (I did grow a handful of vegetable plants before but now I am trying to get serious about it).

Am planting some of the herbs out now, but since the temps are near freezing at night again I am nervous about them taking the frost (even though they are supposed to be frost hardy). After 2 months I sure wouldn't want to lose those transplants!

Last edited:
Brought a heap of seeds last on-line last night.

I finally brought some more valerian and calendula seeds as I was out.

I also brought "provider" bush bean seeds.
I have never tried provider before so I have no idea if they're hardy or are good croppers.
More broad bean seeds.
I discovered a blight resistant variety of tomato that I really want to try - it's called Sprint and it's a climber
and it's ok in cooler weather.
Large drum head cabbage seeds, new guinea bean seeds.

One thing is certain I'm going to have to catch the feral guinea pig population and keep my equally feral chickens in their pen
before I even risk planting precious seeds or seedlings in the soil.

Did a little more work in the gardens today between rain showers and I planted another 3.5m row of beetroot seedlings and DH spade edged and widened our soon to be garlic bed in the back paddock gardens. DH then went on to plough it and we both put some composted grass clippings on it and he ploughed it in again. While DH was ploughing I laid down and almost finished half of another bark garden path between 2 vegetable garden beds before I ran out of bark.

Been working compost into garden beds one shovel at a time.
Using same shovel to turn over beds.
Trying to get ready for planting.
Got garlic square foot bed planted, same with onion bed are planted.
Will wait till the 17th of March to plant potatoes.
Dad's going to loan me his wheel barrel.
He'll have to bring it over, it won't fit in my car.
He just shakes his head and laughs.

We have a mockingbird that has been aggravating hubby and I for years now.
He has been going into the greenhouse and eating tomatoes. Today he picked the largest beefsteak we had to eat on. I had just told hubby yesterday to leave it on plant another couple of days so it will get really ripe. He always goes after blueberries too.
He has been pooping on our van , truck, and camper when it was here for years and fights his reflection in the windows . Hubby said ' I'll kill that son of a gun'. I said no.
He has pooped on every vehicle we have. He guards the Florida Holly tree.
Not sure what to do with him. Nothing scares him pie pans or us. He fusses with hubby.

We have a mockingbird that has been aggravating hubby and I for years now.
Not sure what to do with him. Nothing scares him pie pans or us. He fusses with hubby.

This kept birds away from my bee hives a couple of years ago. It did a fair job. It has a little solar panel on its head and powers a capacitor that causes the owls head to turn randomly.

But for just one problem bird... bb gun.;)

Owl.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J24R26/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here is the link on amazon. They have another one that isn't solar powered ($14 cheaper). It waits for a breeze to turn its head.

Also, I found that mine is more effective if I move it to a new location every 3 or 4 days.

Also, (yet another edit) for anyone who gets one... The owls are super light. I found that mine would blow over in a thunderstorm or from a big gust of wind. I filled the bottom of it with scrap nuts, bolts and washers... problem solved. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! Bang!

Meerkat it is nice to hear that you are kind hearted and watching out for the little Mockingbird. Yes they can be a bit of a pain but they are also so smart and such characters!

Besides tell hubby if the resident mocking bird were to "move out" there is a good chance a young bachelor male would take the territory and those are the ones that sing all night long non-stop as they try to attract a mate.

Meerkat it is nice to hear that you are kind hearted and watching out for the little Mockingbird. Yes they can be a bit of a pain but they are also so smart and such characters!

Besides tell hubby if the resident mocking bird were to "move out" there is a good chance a young bachelor male would take the territory and those are the ones that sing all night long non-stop as they try to attract a mate.

He is like a part of the scenery he has been here so long. Hubby will cuss him out and Mocky will cuss back. I do dislike washing van and then seeing he has marked it again doing battle with his reflection in the windows. He really likes to poop on the side mirrors fro some reason. Its like he knows that will rile hubby up.

I have seeds, soil, pots for starting herbs. Faves: cilantro, basil, dill, parsley, oregano, and maybe sage and thyme. We use these a lot for seasoning.
How do you dry your herbs?
Going to try to grow some tomato and cucumber plants this year, again.
Rat repellent plants are also on the list.

I have been working out in the garden for the last few weeks adding in old cow manure that's been composting for a couple years now along with some old hay and mulch to help break up the newer parts of the gardens black gumbo clay. My connector for my battery cable on my tractor has broke so hauling the old fashioned way. . . shovel and wheelbarrow. I dig 'trenches' for walkways and build up raised beds every year. My BIL decided to come help the last couple days. He's like you do this every year? Over time those trenches get filled back in when hoeing and tilling, so yes, every year at the beginning of spring. So far I have several varieties of squash, peppers and tomatoes planted.

I found a box with a bunch of packets of seeds.
They were all from 2011 so I'm not going to even try them.
My wife planted some new flower seeds and they sprouted in 3 days.
I have a heat mat and that has really helped the seeds germinate.
I'll finish getting my greenhouse built this weekend and then we can get serious about starting seeds.

I'm the same way about seeds as Tank-Girl.
I have got to stop buying seeds, but I just can't help it.
I see something and think that would be good to grow so I buy it.

I found a box with a bunch of packets of seeds.
They were all from 2011 so I'm not going to even try them.
My wife planted some new flower seeds and they sprouted in 3 days.
I have a heat mat and that has really helped the seeds germinate.
I'll finish getting my greenhouse built this weekend and then we can get serious about starting seeds.

I'm the same way about seeds as Tank-Girl.
I have got to stop buying seeds, but I just can't help it.
I see something and think that would be good to grow so I buy it.

I'd try them anyway. I've had some I found in the garage from the 90's sprout.

Yesterday we put some composted grass clippings in the garden beds and ploughed that in to add a bit more organic matter.

Today we went and got 2 x 8' x 5' with cage trailer loads of horse manure for $40 from our local horse stud and ploughed that in in layers too. After shovelling, wheelbarrowing and spreading 6 cubic metres of horse manure we are completely pooped and we have just had a shower and washed our hair to get the remnants off. That is two more 9 x 2mt garden beds half prepared and now we just have to get one trailer load of cow manure and plow that in and they will be ready for planting. Think this might be next week.

Last edited:
I scored HUGE today!

I went to Bunnings hardware to buy a lemon tree to plant over Dus the cat and I got an advanced Eureka lemon tree reduced from $49 to $24!
I'm so happy and the nice lady carried out to my car for me.

I found sugar beet seeds.
Sugar beet is what a lot of the world who can't grow sugar cane actually use to produce sugar.
I've been watching a lot of YT video's on how to extract sugar from these beets and it's another plant to add to my
survival garden.

I also found butter swede seed.
Butter swede are a very good potato substitute and less likely to be hit with potato diseases.
They're very easy to grow and they store very well over winter in earthen clamps.
They have none of the typical "turnip" flavor that other varieties have and they store well.

I brought miner's lettuce and fat hen seeds.

Latest posts

Back