Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog came today! I have been working on my seed starting trays. I will be having a dog stay with me for 10 days and that means a lot of outdoor time, and time for me to start getting my seed starting trays ready and planted. I won't necessarily start watering them yet, but I will get them ready to water. Trays, soil, seeds, labels!

I ordered some "special" sweet peppers from Baker Creek, I'll start em out in the country house, I hope. Still waiting for the Big catalog, I got the free one yesterday.

May still dig up the Chicago fig, and see if I can move it to the new house.

I still have to figure out the new place, wind , weather, etc. I have a rough idea from the security cameras at least :)

I'll get a better idea if it's in ground or raised bed when I dig the holes for the HF antenna and flagpole :)

Does the cold weather make a problem for the peaches? I have two peach trees and they bloom every year, but when it gets cold after they've bloomed, there will be no peaches.
Yes, if the blooms freeze, that's it! Many peach orchards down here spray their trees with water when the temps freeze. Covers them in ice and that protects the blooms!🤔

Yes, if the blooms freeze, that's it! Many peach orchards down here spray their trees with water when the temps freeze. Covers them in ice and that protects the blooms!🤔
I remember reading a story when I was a child about smudge pots. I don't remember if they were for peaches or for some other tree. My peach trees are not that big, maybe 15 feet at best. I have thought about putting a pole or two close to use to drape a tarp over the trees and maybe a space heater on the ground close.

Um hello. It’s winter. Shhhh 🤫 the garden is sleeping. We are supposed to be stitching or reading by the fire 🔥 😊
I am so not ready yet for next year’s garden. 🪴
I have Darcie dog for about 10 days and she wants to be outside in the yard, barking and chasing. I will be working on a number of things out there as long as it is warm enough. It is supposed to get cold though, so I have to do what I can when it is warm. I still have lots of leaves to rake, but want to get my seedling trays ready.

very few seed companies in the UK put out paper catalogues any more, and the ones that do are all F1 and hybrid which are no good to me.
I now deal with an online company that only deals in "heirloom" seeds and will be putting in an order in the new year.

Um hello. It’s winter. Shhhh 🤫 the garden is sleeping. We are supposed to be stitching or reading by the fire 🔥 😊
I am so not ready yet for next year’s garden. 🪴
It will be 80° here today, so I will be fighting spiders and snakes ...errrr, I mean tilling manure into a couple of garden beds!! Also loosening soil and mixing manure into the large pots. Kind of a shi__y day!😃😂

It will be 80° here today, so I will be fighting spiders and snakes ...errrr, I mean tilling manure into a couple of garden beds!! Also loosening soil and mixing manure into the large pots. Kind of a shi__y day!😃😂
Same for me except I use the exotic stuff.

20231208_153713_HDR.jpg

The greenhouse has just gotten far enough to start harvesting.

Lettuce and carrots

20231208_153720.jpg

Two batches of radishes

20231208_153731_HDR.jpg

Another batch of lettuce and newly seeded radishes and lettuce

20231208_153738.jpg

Kale And red cabbage

20231208_153748.jpg

Coffee bush, olive tree, fig trees, grape vines

20231208_153758.jpg

Ben

Planted 4 ounces of ramp seed in my forest today.Thats wild ramps are(Allium tricoccum).Now we wait at least 7 years to get any harvest. It takes 18 months for seeds to sprout often.Plant in fall/winter and then 2 spring times to sprout. Some do sprout in first spring though.The count per ounce is 1400 seed...$139.00 worth of seed...toss money out in woods on just a hope they sprout...lol

P1000598.JPG

Planted 4 ounces of ramp seed in my forest today.Thats wild ramps are(Allium tricoccum).Now we wait at least 7 years to get any harvest. It takes 18 months for seeds to sprout often.Plant in fall/winter and then 2 spring times to sprout. Some do sprout in first spring though.The count per ounce is 1400 seed...$139.00 worth of seed...toss money out in woods on just a hope they sprout...lol

View attachment 121035

I that for 3 years starting 7 years ago with ginseng. I have a small patch with some plants more than 5 years ago. I have not harvested any in hopes the ginseng patch will expand.

Ben

My winter garden is the worst I've ever produced, due to the weather. While I was away we had two nights hard frost, and no one thought of my Christmas dinner potatoes in the poly, so they got caught. My savoy and greyhound cabbages outside are very hardy, but we've had so much rain lately they've started to rot, and the leek isn't looking too good either. I bought my ginger inside, in the hope of rescuing it, and have decided not to put any onions outside at all this year. I bought a small mini poly for seedlings etc in the spring and put up in the poly. There are whole fields of produce here, and in the UK farmers have been unable to lift, the ground is sodden, tractors can't get in, and because Britain left the EU they don't have the number of workers to pick- they are saying there could be a shortage of potatoes.

It was 55-60* her today.when I was a kid or teenager, w would have had at least 1 or 2 snows already. My petunias are still green and a few still have flowers yet to open.

i set up a second compost bin today.

Don’t know what my garlic is doing under the mulch. In autumn, we have a landscaper do the leaf cleanup. Five maple trees create quite the mess of leaves. Frankly it’s just too much for me to handle with everything else I’ve got going on. For once, the landscaper didn’t blow the mulch off the beds.

Tried something different today. Last winter the half barrel raised beds i am trying out with onions didnt work out so well. This winter the green onions of various kinds are sprouting and i cut grass with weedeater this afternoon and piled it on top of each barrel to act as insulation to protect them better. some cultivars i have are rare and no longer get them. martin gave me some shallots that dont flower from 1940's he had.They didnt do well at all this year so i have to protect them if i am to keep them going.

I that for 3 years starting 7 years ago with ginseng. I have a small patch with some plants more than 5 years ago. I have not harvested any in hopes the ginseng patch will expand.

Ben
Do you have Black Walnut trees, in the wild ginseng grows well under Black walnut trees.

Got my pink Hopi corn seed from Baker Creek. After being annoyed at all commercial varieties of cornmeal and corn flour that I end up having to regrind to get the right texture, I’m going to grow my own. This variety is supposed to be fairly soft, higher in protein, and drought tolerant. Just need to figure out what bed to put it in, I’m thinking the green bean bed last summer would be good since the plants had lots of the nitrogen nodes on the roots.

Latest posts

Back