Gardening 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20240520_145654532.jpg

Blackberry Island

Our area grows mostly wheat, so I use wheat straw. I use it in the rabbit cages, and when we clean them out, all the straw and rabbit poop goes to the garden, so I do get alot of wheat grass growing.
You know that expensive "green juice" you can buy by the shot at fancy smoothie places? It's just ground wheat grass. I have a hand grinder just for it, because one of our daughters loved it. I think it's bleech. The grinder looked like a mini meat grinder, and I got it off Amazon awhile back. Our son plants wheat in bare spots where his chickens go....cools them down and is nutritious, too.

Our area grows mostly wheat, so I use wheat straw. I use it in the rabbit cages, and when we clean them out, all the straw and rabbit poop goes to the garden, so I do get alot of wheat grass growing.
You know that expensive "green juice" you can buy by the shot at fancy smoothie places? It's just ground wheat grass. I have a hand grinder just for it, because one of our daughters loved it. I think it's bleech. The grinder looked like a mini meat grinder, and I got it off Amazon awhile back. Our son plants wheat in bare spots where his chickens go....cools them down and is nutritious, too.
We use it for our feral cat totes and beds, lol. They seem to like. After it gets old, we swap it out and just throw the old out in the yard somewhere. The cats will even lay on it in the daytime. Then, usually, it will sprout grass.

Poltiregist, great advice! I have a small spring fed pond in my back yard and 4 55 gallon rain barrels that stay full at all times that have hoses running to the garden and other plants. Also have several larger ponds and lakes within walking distance.
Question - I also have several rain barrels , but have never figured out a way to run some sort of piping from them , thus extracted water on occasion via a bucket . How did you " or anyone else " manage to run a hose from a rain barrel ?

Question - I also have several rain barrels , but have never figured out a way to run some sort of piping from them , thus extracted water on occasion via a bucket . How did you " or anyone else " manage to run a hose from a rain barrel ?

Add a spigot and use PEX tubing. Then you have all kinds of options.

You add a spigot to the barrel and then just a regular garden hose. Other folks attach their barrels together.

Here is a video, but there are lots of them is this one doesn’t tell you everything you need.

Good video GP. So easy, a person who doesn't know the difference between a pipe wrench and channel lock pliers can do it. LOL

And here's a hint. Get twice as long a string, fold it in half to make a loop, then slide the fitting on the loop. Just let go of one end to remove the string, no need to cut the string off of the fitting.

It hailed, rained, snowed, blew like the dickens, and the sun shined yesterday. Spring in Idaho is a bit rough on the garden this year, but the flowers are still doing their thing!
IMG_3228.jpeg
IMG_3229.jpeg
IMG_3233.jpeg
IMG_3232.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, what GeorgiaPeachie showed! Mine aren't hooked together since they are at each corner of the house. It's real easy to put the spigot in. My neighbor ran soaker hoses from hers to her flowers and gardens. Just remember to set the drums on blocks or something. I also put screen over the top/hole to keep bugs, trash and most importantly, mosquito out.
P.S. Mine have removable tops to them, makes putting the spigot on Real easy. They are also put under the gutters and have rectangle holes cut in the top. I cut regular screen and made a frame then bolted them on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back