Gardening on a slope

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

That picture screams multiple swales that are graded as switch backs down the grade.

The mounds can be planted with whatever.

Fruit trees, berries, sunflowers...

And still be mowed easily.

Raised beds can be added incrementally. (Wink wink nudge nudge).

Ben

Good way to use Hulteculture techniques. Make building them easier right away

in my neck of the woods thats what flat land looks like.

looking from smaller pictures you can see natural garden spots...one being above tree where its flattish..second one being just below the tree. i say 20 x whatever length across slope and fruit trees in between. it will settle out once you till and get it going..put a swale on bottom sie to keep dirt and water on up hill side.

i am going to post a bunch of videos...use what you can and discard the rest. just ideas to spring board off of...i can see from pictures my first basic design would be like mentioned above with a line of fruit trees in line with the big tree and if i didnt want to swale the whole thing i would at least put in a horsehoe swale at each individual tree. its what i did on slope in a small orchard.

@Mel You might find inspiration searching Italian Terraced Gardens. A couple of examples~ easy enough to swap a veggie for a shrub.
1653445432298.png

1653445461999.png

i am going to post a bunch of videos...use what you can and discard the rest. just ideas to spring board off of...i can see from pictures my first basic design would be like mentioned above with a line of fruit trees in line with the big tree and if i didnt want to swale the whole thing i would at least put in a horsehoe swale at each individual tree. its what i did on slope in a small orchard.

I like this too

Latest posts

Back