Gardening

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different areas will require different things at certain times of the year, what might grow well in USA might not grow so well here in UK. Water, nutrients , feeding, maintenance,

That is true. Might be a good idea to keep some seeds for any other areas that you may be bugging out to/

what you need , is what I call a drip feeder ,its just a thin length of hose with little holes drilled in to allow your plants to get watered regularly.

i used small flower bed with landscape timber for a border for 3 years..i used treated plywood on inside of border then calked the seams so water wont leek out that way..then usd pvc pipe n elbows and other parts for sprinkler after i drilled holes in the pipe where the water would go into the garden..and come winter time i'd lean the pvc sprinkler against the fence to drian the water from it..then put it back in the garden come spring time

GARDENING 101. Before you put a spade or a roto-tiller near the ground, sit down at the table with a pencil and a sketch pad, and having measured your plot ,draw what you would like to do with your plot of ground.I t doesn't have to be a Davinci as long as you are happy with the end result and know what you want.you can split your vegetable garden into 4, 6 or 8 sections or however you want to lay it out.with if possible a trellis panel or panels separating each section. Each section will have to be weeded and I mean thoroughly ,no point in doing it half hearted, cos the weeds will surely return. What you do , will obviously depend on the size , but there are lots of fruits and veggies that can be container grown. What I have found ,and its worked for me is to plant the whole thing in potatoes in the first year , somehow it helps with weed control and anything else you want to grow that first year , can be grown in containers. Different climates will dictate what grows well and where.

I'll have to look at Harbor Freight for that hose. I need a few of them for the melons.

2 plants on either side. Rosemary, basil, sage, thyme, oregano, blue berries, raspberries, blackberries, garlic, tomato's, butternut squash, acorn squash, you name it..

2 plants on either side. Rosemary, basil, sage, thyme, oregano, blue berries, raspberries, blackberries, garlic, tomato's, butternut squash, acorn squash, you name it..
You plant RASPBERRIES/BLACKBERRIES in those buckets...how does that work out for you? I thought raspberries (and blackberries) were 2nd year plants (produce on 2nd year growth)? Also, don't the squash get a little unweilding in those buckets? They vine so much!

The raspberries and blackberries are easier if you buy ones ready to produce. Lucky for me they grow naturally along my stream so I dug up some good ones. I go one plant per bucket, they tend to take over. Also yes the squash are travelers but we drape them over each other and they do fine. The idea is to have potential portable plants if need be.
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG

Awesome! Do you drill holes in the bottom of the buckets incase you get a little water happy??? I like the snow fence (or what we in MN would call snow fence). Is that for some shade or for trellissing or just containment?

Looks very nice and portable!

I have plenty of area!! I have been on a quest to see how much I need for a family of 3 and so far I'm getting it narrowed down. Also This way I keep my ground soil from getting depleted fast because the soil in the buckets are used for 2 years then swapped out to rest. I mixing old with new. A combo of old farming techniques, hydroponics and square foot gardening.

You are very welcome. To give you an idea of our gardens' sizes, we prep for 8 people plus try to grow enough extra to sell at the farmers market.

You're welcome Chick. I finally remembered to post it, been going to post it for awhile now, just kept forgetting.

We have several different areas we use Mike. The smallest is 100x100 feet. I do have a few things in some raised beds behind the barn, forgot about that. It's hard to plow and disc up a small area with a horse drawn plow, you have to have turning room.

Latest posts

Back