Gas storage amount???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Watching a program a couple of weeks ago and I noted that the owner of an Off grid property up north was commenting on the amount of gasoline in one year it took to run the minimal amount electrical items even tho he has Solar panels 12v lights and no trucks or cars to feed. He said his yearly import to keep the homestead going was a little over 300 gallons!!! This was an eye opener for me because in the recent past I kept around 100 gallons thinking that would keep me going for a while. I knew it would not last long BUT not that short of a long time.

I have recently examined my gasoline usage, and found it to be rather gross.
This is why I upgraded my solar system.

But, I cannot see any way to avoid needing it for many things.

If only we could make fuel from sand. I'd be rich!!!!

My 5000 watt generator uses close to a gallon of fuel a day under a moderate load. I ran the forced air oil heater, my freezer and fridge for a two week period when we lost power in Seattle one winter. I went through two 5 gallon cans of gas and mostly through a third. Running all three at the same time was not possible so I had to heat the house and then switch to the fridge and freezer. After the freezer and fridge were cold I could connect it all up and as long as they didn't all start up at the same time I was good to go. We used Aladdin lamps for light and used my cold weather sleeping bags on the water bed - they get very cold without a heater. The kids were fine in their beds. I fixed our meals on the camp stoves and we burned some wood in the fireplace but the fireplace was a psychological comfort and didn't contribute much to heating the house. Cooking was all done outdoors. Gas or diesel generators are an expensive way to make electricity.

give it up peoples when things go south your modern world stuff will go with it..... our ancestor walked across this land and did not even know how to spell fuel.... horse power is the way it will be... cheese an crackers I hope that don't happen.... I 'm going to miss my ice for my tea....

give it up peoples when things go south your modern world stuff will go with it..... our ancestor walked across this land and did not even know how to spell fuel.... horse power is the way it will be... cheese an crackers I hope that don't happen.... I 'm going to miss my ice for my tea....
what am I saying there won't be any tea.....

The more fuel the better. Gasoline has a short shelf life so I'd plan on storing about two years worth at best. I want to get a tri-fuel setup for my generators which will allow me to use the gasoline first and then turn to propane. If the natural gas was still on I would use that as long as it lasted.

One of our members had a slick way to store gasoline in propane tanks. Perhaps he can reconstruct that thread here. In this cas you could store much more.

They did so know how to spell but the word for fuel back then was HAY:D...Any refined fuel storage is akin to someone diving in the water the length of time under water is defined by how long you can hold your breath, or how large of scuba tank you have but they both have a time limit.

They did so know how to spell but the word for fuel back then was HAY:D...Any refined fuel storage is akin to someone diving in the water the length of time under water is defined by how long you can hold your breath, or how large of scuba tank you have but they both have a time limit.
Well, I can then hold my breath for years. ;) That'll give me time to transition to animal power if/when needed of if there is even any animals left.

Please remember that if there is no fuel for the masses, the life expectancy of most animals is going to diminish to weeks, if that. Food won't be delivered and what most people have on their shelves will disappear. Everything from squirrels to cattle will be confiscated or pilfered by the hordes.

You can increase the storage life of gasoline by storing it in a sealed metal container. Most tanks are vented and so the volatiles dissipate over time. Plastic is porous so these volatiles slowly pass through the plastic. Oxygen will also work its way through plastic further degrading the fuel.

Sta-Bil, PRI-D, PRI-G (for gasoline), and similar products can be used to stabilize and extend the useful life of fuel.

If you store your fuel in 55 gallon drums put a 2X4 or brick under one edge at 90 degrees to the bungs. Rain will collect on top of the drums and as the barrels expand and then cool it will suck water into the drums contaminating your fuel. It is bad enough to suck in air without pulling in water. It need be tipped enough that the puddle not reach the bung before flowing over the side.

I stored my fuel using the PRI G in 2o gallon steel drums in an semi underground area with very little temp swings. IT stayed good for 8 years before I had to use it, This was pre ETOH fuel. With the "new and improved" fuel the fuel is still useable after 3 years but I can see and smell a change in the quality.

No mater how much fuel you store it will eventually run out. Remember that you need oil, filters, antifreeze and grease to keep that equipment running, not to mention spare parts along with the tools and skills to make repairs. In a best case you will have equipment long enough to learn how to get along without it. I try to set everything in place so I can go without equipment of any kind.

knowledge is king...with an old generator a couple junk cars several wore out lawnmowers and three bicycles....out back down by the creek I can produce all the electrical power I need and not burn the first oz. of fuel.....bring it grid down .... bring it.....think about that for a moment..

No mater how much fuel you store it will eventually run out. Remember that you need oil, filters, antifreeze and grease to keep that equipment running, not to mention spare parts along with the tools and skills to make repairs. In a best case you will have equipment long enough to learn how to get along without it. I try to set everything in place so I can go without equipment of any kind.
by George I think he's got it

I keep 30-40 gallons of 100% treated gas on hand. My plan is to run my little genny for an hour or 2 a day to keep the freezers cold and allow us to can everything out of there. I can get 14 hours out of 1 gallon of fuel, so I think 5 gallons would get me 3-4 weeks or more at a minimum. Whats left would be for the chainsaw or tiller.
I also keep 30 or so gallons for the tractor to use sparingly in the garden.

Latest posts

Back