G'day from Down Under

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings from S.W. Oregon, when I was getting out of the Air Force in October of 1965 a lot of the guys ending their service time were talking about going to Australia, I thought about it, but they were saying housing would be an issue, that probably might have been the least of the problems I would have had, I love being outdoors and we have a number of deadly things around here, but down under there are creatures that make our rattlesnakes, cougars and bears look like family pets. Anyway this is a great site to be on and welcome here.

My best male friend went into Air Force in 65 or 66 I think it was.He met a Thailand lady married and wanted to go back. Last I heard from him he was under protection for turning in a large company,new identity and can never talk to anyone he knew again. He was i nViet Nam on a c130 I think it was.It was a huge plane.

Welcome from Wisconsin!
After listening to Down Under-Men At Work I imported vegemite and tried it on bread with butter. Super salty but I guess it's an acquired thing. Lol.

Glad you joined!

Attachments

• 2021-02-08 22.01.53.jpg
    2021-02-08 22.01.53.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 61
Welcome from Wisconsin!
After listening to Down Under-Men At Work I imported vegemite and tried it on bread with butter. Super salty but I guess it's an acquired thing. Lol.

Glad you joined!
There is a long story about Vegemite and why, and how, it came into being.
I'll give an Aussie a chance to tell the story. It fits right in with homesteading and survival :thumbs:
I had a couple vegemite sandwiches when I was down there. Not bad at all.

There is a long story about Vegemite and why, and how, it came into being.
I'll give an Aussie a chance to tell the story. It fits right in with homesteading and survival :thumbs:
I had a couple vegemite sandwiches when I was down there. Not bad at all.
That'd be interesting to hear! Mine has an expiration date of 2016 it looks like but I think this thing will be here along with the twinkies and cockroaches long after I'm gone still shiny black and mold free. I paid something like 12-16 USD to import it as a teen. Now it's a novelty I can't throw it away. Lol.

I'm sure though most people from down under get jokes about vegemite....I'd think.

That'd be interesting to hear! Mine has an expiration date of 2016 it looks like but I think this thing will be here along with the twinkies and cockroaches long after I'm gone still shiny black and mold free. I paid something like 12-16 USD to import it as a teen. Now it's a novelty I can't throw it away. Lol.

I'm sure though most people from down under get jokes about vegemite....I'd think.
Well, let's see if he is still with us or if he is a "OPW" (one post wonder).

My supper down there:
IMG_20180113_092129_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
G'day from rural South Australia.
Was referred here by Ange - have been a lurker, but will try to be a regular drop in.
Have a keen interest in Prepping, Homesteading etc. I run an Australian Prepping forum, and we have a decent Homesteading section, so hoping to learn from here, and pass on the knowledge.
Have over 20yrs in LE & Military, love camping, fishing, hunting, and currently building a bol out bush.

Welcome to the forum, What is different about an Aussie Prepping than a USA type of prepping from what you've seen?

Yes, Russian orthodox crosses are very interesting. Makes for a nice avatar.

I had just been discussing this in Faith forum is why I commented. It has a gold ball,aka sun, then above it cresent moon, then a cross. But it doesn't nessisarily mean anything just a odd coincidence. Nice is like beauty,in the eyes of the beholder,lol. My eyes were focused on different aspect.:dunno:

Latest posts

Back