Geothermal Hvac

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"40 Years in the Wilderness" by Dolly Faulkner talks about her surviving because of her geothermal heating system. This gal lived with her kids in the wilderness. She survived without outside help or any way to get out for months at a time. Her daughter was a student of mine and I know her son. Both are mentioned in the book. Even non preppers enjoy this book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GU6N0JQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for general information: Never use salt on concrete drives. The salt will erode the concrete and then water gets in and freezes, cracking the concrete. Use ash and sand on concrete for ice removal or traction. You can also use propylene glycol to keep the surface from freezing. (this is non-toxic - the same thing used as an emulsifier in boxed cake mixes)

Just for general information: Never use salt on concrete drives. The salt will erode the concrete and then water gets in and freezes, cracking the concrete. Use ash and sand on concrete for ice removal or traction. You can also use propylene glycol to keep the surface from freezing. (this is non-toxic - the same thing used as an emulsifier in boxed cake mixes)

Propylene glycol is used in boilers as an antifreeze and is what you will find in the antifreeze for motorhomes and trailer domestic water systems. I swept up dry sand last spring and filled a 35 gallon trash can so I'd have plenty to sand my drive with. Unfortunately, at the start of winter a storm blew the lid off and it filled with water and then froze. I now have a rather large sand reinforced popsicle.

Thanks for the ash idea. I burn my trash so I can save a bunch of ash.

Well, at least your popsicle is non-slip... :)
You are very welcome for the info. I found long ago that knowledge has no value unless it is shared.

Latest posts

Back