Getting new stove…what kind for canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have read where electric cook tops are not good for canning. But I know there has to be millions out there that can on electric. I know you only can certain times of the year but I want to make sure this purchase is the right one. I had a gas cook top and an electric oven. Loved it. Got a new stove and got gas. Think there is a problem with this oven and called for a repair and they are giving me my money back for my purchase. Dont want to go through this again. So is electric good to can on? Flat top or not?

Had gas in 1984, have electric for the last 38 years & Now have a glass top. The glass top does everything including canning, never had a problem.

I dislike glass tops and electrics, have owned both. I've only owned gas the last 20yrs, never go back to electric. Also, the last one I bought has a special eye. The largest eye on a 4 burner stove is usually 12,000btu.

This stove has 5 burners, the largest, front right, is a 17,000btu burner. It's great for using a wok, makes great stirfry/asian dishes. It's also great for bringing large pots up to temp for stews, making spaghetti etc. I can bring the water up to a boil then move to to a smaller eye to simmer. It's the one i intend to use for canning...

I really like the continous grate, nothing to fall off of but the edge. Makes cooking several things at once a breeze. Just slide heavy pots or pans around as needed. Especially heavy cast iron pans. 3 burner sizes is nice to have.

stove cleaninga.JPG

I understand that some brands of glass tops are better than others for canning. I have canned on Mom's glass top with no problems. Personally, I prefer gas for all my cooking/canning because of the immediate temperature control.

Last edited:
I also do my canning on an outdoor propane stove.
I personally don't like canning on class top stoves because:
It's hard to regulate heat. The burner is either black or red. Can't really see what's going on heat wise.
As mentioned, the glass top can break due to weight or impact.
If you're doing large batches that also require a water bath, there just isn't enough room.

The stove I have now looks similar to yours @Peanut . I do like gas, which I have propane but around this neck of the woods thats gas to us 🤦🏻‍♀️ I do can outside on a propane burner too but carrying hot full jars inside is not fun. what do you all do with hot jars once out of canner when outside?
I don't really can outside but I have a BBQ with a side burner that I purchased for that purpose. I'd roll it over next to man picnic table. I have a 6' folding table that would be handy also.

We have. a gas stove, it came set up for natural gas and all I had to do is screw in a screw on the regulator to change it to propane. We went to a gas stove because our grid service to the meter is only 100 amp. I set up the system to run on 5 gallon propane tanks, just using the burner tops we get an average of three months per tank, I haven't gotten around to finding out a problem with the oven control, no real big deal since my wife bakes in the microwave/convection/stove fan that's just above the stove and she's not in any hurry to use the oven on the stove as that's where she stores the pots and pans. I'd like to just replace the Magic Chef stove with a newer gas stove but I don't know if some of the all gas stoves can be changed over to propane and a lot of the stoves that I have looked at have surface burners that are run on gas but the ovens are electric. Another issue is that my wife only wants a drop in stove, which we now have that doesn't allow stuff to drop down the gaps between the stove and the counters. Over all the truth is I should have replaced that stove when models like it were more available, we bought most of our appliances in the mid to late 90's an some are beginning to die, the original Kitchen Aid combination microwave/convection/fan vent unit died about a year ago, I would have liked to replaced it with another Kitchen Aid but at that time I couldn't find one so we ended up with a ZLine, which I've never heard of before, (Chinese) of course, which is where most of all stoves are made anymore, do to what our wonderful political leaders have orchestrated, Ross Perot set the warning on that with his debate with Al Gore, but no one listened.

I've owned 3 gas stoves, all came with ports for natural gas. I only have LP. The first two came with lp orifices that were easy to swap out. This last stove, for warrenty purposes I had to get a guy trained to set them up for lp. Turns out it was a guy i went to highschool with, nice to catch up! :)

We converted this stove from gas to propane. After about 6 months of tossing cakes out cause they didnt bake right and then turned hard as a rock, called a repairman, checked the oven temp in front, said propane will fluctuate in an oven by 20 degrees, as the propane comes off and on. Told me my flames on burners were great, but I could put a skillet on the front burner, turn it down to lowest setting and couldnt even cut an onion over the skillet without my arm getting to hot. I know my last propane cooktop, was not like this at all. Then the next gripe I got is, why do they put the big burners both in the front now? If you have a big pot on the fronts, it is a bugger to get to the back to a small pan.
oh my, I sound like…..well to put it nicely…..a complainer 😅

That is true about the big burner in front, but there is the problem that a big pot doesn't fit on any size burner in the back. There isn't enough room between the burners and the back of the stove. Same issues for electric stoves.

I prefer gas stoves over electric. You can't always trust that the pot you want to use on a glass top will make a good contact. Plus heat control sucks on a glass top. You can can on either but gas is better.

Back