getting the plum seed out of a plum to dehydrate it, any suggestions?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooch

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So, Ive been gathering lots of plums out here off trees scattered wild off trails . Last year I made jam and just put the plums in a pot to cook down and I would scoop out the seed. This year Id like to dehydrate them. The plums are not the bigger ones you find in the store. I found red, yellowish orangy type, Green Globe according to a church member and the purple ones but all smaller. The purple and green globe are medium sized mostly. Anyways..Interesting to see how our plum fruit has commercially evolved in the last 100 years or so..but
Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to get the seed out and not desroy the fruit??
I'm going to try a cheery picker but I have my doubts..
I'm also going to attempt to get pictures of these plums If I can figure out how to hook my phone up to this new computer...

Well shucks. "Prune" had apparently lost its memory connection; just another victim of encroaching senility maybe. Or maybe a long-term antipathy. Par went on occasional stewed prune regimens while fighting persistent constipation; he did not like stewed prunes, and tended to make that clear at the breakfast table.

I remember my friends father always bought them dried then stewed them. They were really good.
A lot better than Castor Oil .:ghostly:

Mama would send us to drug store soda fountain for a lime or cherry coke. Druggist and sadistic fountain lady would fix it up and stand there making sure we drank it all. What a terrible concoction it was! That stinking stuff floating over the ice ruining a perfectly good fountain soda. Back then the druggist also kept leeches for black eyes on hand .:eyeballs::fun fun:

I remember my friends father always bought them dried then stewed them. They were really good.
A lot better than Castor Oil .:ghostly:

Mama would send us to drug store soda fountain for a lime or cherry coke. Druggist and sadistic fountain lady would fix it up and stand there making sure we drank it all. What a terrible concoction it was! That stinking stuff floating over the ice ruining a perfectly good fountain soda. Back then the druggist also kept leeches for black eyes on hand .:eyeballs::fun fun:

Leeches! I figured leeches went out around 1900, when antiseptic got widely known.

Leeches! I figured leeches went out around 1900, when antiseptic got widely known.

Nope not in West End section of Atlanta. He was an old druggist and he did have leeches. And people still used them for black eyes. I didn't know anyone who used one but it was still used in 1958.
He also made up special compounds for certain ills too. And many drugs were just handed out like paragoric 'spl'. Mama chewed on a chalk block fro heartburn when she was pregnant and used Mothers Friend to prevent stretch marks.

Sorry Madame Hooch ,I don't know how to easily get a seed out of a plum though.

Well shucks. "Prune" had apparently lost its memory connection; just another victim of encroaching senility maybe. Or maybe a long-term antipathy. Par went on occasional stewed prune regimens while fighting persistent constipation; he did not like stewed prunes, and tended to make that clear at the breakfast table.
Prunes are used as a fairly common filling for a Czech pastry, kolache. Poppy seed filling is by far the favorite filling, followed by apricot, but anytime my great aunts would make kolache, there were always prune filled ones as well as poppy seed and apricot. They grew up in a very large family and having 30 people for Sunday dinner was very common.

Kolache Pictures - Prune.jpg

Prunes are used as a fairly common filling for a Czech pastry, kolache. Poppy seed filling is by far the favorite filling, followed by apricot, but anytime my great aunts would make kolache, there were always prune filled ones as well as poppy seed and apricot. They grew up in a very large family and having 30 people for Sunday dinner was very common.

View attachment 9394

That looks and sounds delicious .:cool::)

Thanks for the pic, Weedy; looks tasty - and considerably fancier than the once-a-month Saturday supper contained back when the world and I were young and twenty close relatives showed for supper.

[The breeze is blowing yellow leaves off the popul tuther side of the brook. Winter's coming.]

Thanks for the pic, Weedy; looks tasty - and considerably fancier than the once-a-month Saturday supper contained back when the world and I were young and twenty close relatives showed for supper.

[The breeze is blowing yellow leaves off the popul tuther side of the brook. Winter's coming.]

The wind is just blowing sand out here. I could do with some winter.

those pastries look great!
They are wonderful! There is a special art to making them. I have eaten them with people who will tell you how they have to melt in your mouth and not be tough to chew like bread, be lightly brown on the bottom and a little lighter brown than that on the top.

Winter is coming here as well. The northern wind from Wyoming blew in last evening. The sky was really dark, the leaves were blowing around and there were drops of rain mixed in. The dog did not want to go out, but she lost that battle, and got a treat out of it.

Latest posts

Back