Ginger

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We were talking to a weight trainer who said he uses ginger juice every day in a shot glass. The next day, my g/f went to a holistic doctor who swears that ginger broth, juice or extract has great health benefits. Well, we went out and bought a bunch of ginger roots, and will search out recipes for it. We first need to buy cheesecloth to strain this stuff, so that is our chore today. Can my friends post up some healthy recipes for me using ginger?

I don't know anything about ginger but you'll want some butter muslin or a lint free cloth. Both are reusable. The cheese cloth in grocery stores is a cheap very open weave that doesn't strain anything and falls apart quickly.

I use a very fine mesh strainer after making tea. Fine grate about 1 to 1 1/2 Tlbs ginger, boil about 2 C water, take off heat and stir in ginger, let steep 2-4 minutes and strain. Is good with honey and lemon juice to taste. We also use a bunch in stir fry and glaze for broiled salmon ( soy sauce, honey, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes + whatever else sounds good ).

shopping

use this for straining ...$5 at WM.

Jim

I’ve always had stomach issues, should have owned stock in zantac, Tums and Prilosec. But no more… Ginger is the best thing I’ve ever taken for gastritis or severe heartburn. I buy fresh ginger root and use a micro-cheese grater. I eat about 1/3 Tsp of grated ginger when I have a flare up. I just swallow it raw. It does wonders for my stomach.

I also use fresh ginger in Asian dishes I cook. I added 2 tea spoons to the hot n sour soup I made tonight. I really like the flavor.

We were talking to a weight trainer who said he uses ginger juice every day in a shot glass. The next day, my g/f went to a holistic doctor who swears that ginger broth, juice or extract has great health benefits. Well, we went out and bought a bunch of ginger roots, and will search out recipes for it. We first need to buy cheesecloth to strain this stuff, so that is our chore today. Can my friends post up some healthy recipes for me using ginger?
Turmeric tea
1 1tbls fresh turmeric root, grated (wear kitchen gloves, it stains)
1 1tbls fresh ginger root, grated
1 whole lemon, chopped, (seeds and peel, too)
1/4 tsp cayenne or blk pepper
Maple syrup, swerve, honey or agave to taste
3 cups boiling filtered water.
Put all in heat resistant pot and let steep about 5 or 10 min. Strain and drink. Yummy!!
It does have a "bite" to it.
Very healthy, anti inflammatory and several other benefits.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I believe i will try a cheese grater since it seems the slices waste too much product.

The first micro grater I tried had smaller holes than this but it didn't work very well. This one is still much smaller than a regular cheese grater and works great. I think I bought it at WM.
Ginger grater_v1.jpg

Turmeric tea
1 1tbls fresh turmeric root, grated (wear kitchen gloves, it stains)
1 1tbls fresh ginger root, grated
1 whole lemon, chopped, (seeds and peel, too)
1/4 tsp cayenne or blk pepper
Maple syrup, swerve, honey or agave to taste
3 cups boiling filtered water.
Put all in heat resistant pot and let steep about 5 or 10 min. Strain and drink. Yummy!!
It does have a "bite" to it.
Very healthy, anti inflammatory and several other benefits.

FYI, I tried the above with lemon and didn't like it. I made it again and left the lemon out and put cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in it instead. I like it much better. The original recipe has too many overpowering tastes that overwhelm it for me.

The first micro grater I tried had smaller holes than this but it didn't work very well. This one is still much smaller than a regular cheese grater and works great. I think I bought it at WM.View attachment 3300

What is the cut up silver dollar for? Is that to keep from grating your fingers on the end bits?

What is the cut up silver dollar for? Is that to keep from grating your fingers on the end bits?

It’s a silver eagle I carry in my pocket. I laid it there for size reference. It’s cut up because it’s medicine. Silver kills over 800 kinds of bacteria (according to the NIH). Sometimes working with cows… things are very unsanitary yet I still get cuts and scrapes. I file off a little silver powder and rub it in the cut. Usually heals faster than with Neosporin. I keep silver dimes in my water jug in the fridge, the water is always fresh.

It’s a silver eagle I carry in my pocket. I laid it there for size reference. It’s cut up because it’s medicine. Silver kills over 800 kinds of bacteria (according to the NIH). Sometimes working with cows… things are very unsanitary yet I still get cuts and scrapes. I file off a little silver powder and rub it in the cut. Usually heals faster than with Neosporin. I keep silver dimes in my water jug in the fridge, the water is always fresh.

I knew about silver’s healing qualities. Just seeing next to the grater threw me.

i love ginger and use it alot. i like to buy the dried chopped ginger root and make a tincture. i use this tincture in several ways:

for stomach problems--
ill put 1-2T or so of the tincture, put in large water bottle, add 2 drops peppermint oil, 1-2T ACV, fill with water , shake it up and sip on it when i have stomach problems. i like to add some stevia to this, its refreshing too on a hot summer day.

ginger tincture--
my all time favorite cocktail is a Moscow Mule. it is a shot of vodka in a ginger beer with some lime wedges or lime juice. dont have ginger beer but the ginger tincture works fine. great drink from the 30-40s.

if i want some ginger hot tea ill make a cup of tea and add a tsp or so of the ginger tincture, its very nice.

ginger pieces--
i like to buy the candied ginger but i wash the sugar off. too sweet for me. so i soak an hour or so in hot water, then scrub the sugar off and soak in fresh hot water. i do this maybe 3 times then let the pieces air dry. they are lightly sweet and chewy pieces for stomach problems or eat a couple pieces after a meal if you ate something that might come back and haunt you later.. i like to carry some of this dried ginger in a little baggie in my bag too in case i need some when im out.
good stuff

Latest posts

Back