Goat Mineral Question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappy1

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have 2 pygmy does about a year old. They get medicated goat feed, alfalfa and loose minerals. At first we had a copper deficiency but found a better loose mineral and all seemed fine. (they get wormed every 4 or 5 months). Now they seem to be changing color again like with the copper def. DH upped the amount of loose minerals but it hasn't helped. I want to give it to them free choice and to give baking soda also. Does that sound like a good idea to you all? He won't do a bolus. Will baking soda be ok to give free choice as well as the loose minerals? Most of my questions are because they are pets to him and not looked at so much as livestock but I know they have different needs. Thanks for your input!

Why are you feeding the medicated goat feed, if you don't mind my asking?

Second, we had problems feeding only alfalfa and switched to a mixed hay with better results. I can't say about the loose minerals we kept a salt/mineral block for free choice.

Sorry, I not much help...

I use both a Billy block and free-choice baking soda. It helps keep their digestive system working correctly by balancing out the acids. Its also supposed to help with their urine tract.

Second, we had problems feeding only alfalfa and switched to a mixed hay with better results. I can't say about the loose minerals we kept a salt/mineral block for free choice.

The lady we got them from said that medicated was all she fed any of hers so we have continued it. We also feed regular hay and what pasture there is plus we bring them arm fulls of branches when possible. Do you put out baking soda?

I use both a Billy block and free-choice baking soda. It helps keep their digestive system working correctly by balancing out the acids. Its also supposed to help with their urine tract.

Thank you! Now, I just have to figure out how high to hang it so they don't poop in it.

What kind of feed do you feed yours, Andi?

I don't know enough about goats to even ask this question but I'm going to anyway, what is the medicated feed supposed to do?

You can get medicated feed for chicks but it should not be given to adults because it blocks the absorption for Vitamin K to prevent cocci. If that's what the medicated goat feed is for it might be time to start switching them over.

What kind of feed do you feed yours, Andi?

We used a dairy goat feed ~ Non medicated, On both the milk and meat goats. Yes, I also so add the baking soda but only in amounts they would clean up daily.
On a side not we sold all our goats a few years ago after we bought the beach house because it was hard to find folks to milk. When the kids watch the farm it was not
a problem but sometimes they have other plans ... like using the beach house. ;D

I don't know enough about goats to even ask this question but I'm going to anyway, what is the medicated feed supposed to do?

You can get medicated feed for chicks but it should not be given to adults because it blocks the absorption for Vitamin K to prevent cocci. If that's what the medicated goat feed is for it might be time to start switching them over.

I will check on that as soon as I am home again!

We feed free choice on the minerals and baking soda. I hang them high enough that the shortest goat has to stand on a block to reach it. That stops the pooping in the feeders. I don't feed any animal medicated feed unless we are treating a specific problem. I know some use it as a preventative but I don't. The rough coat could also be the pre shedding look. My dairy does look pretty rough right now as they are starting to shed.

We feed free choice on the minerals and baking soda. I hang them high enough that the shortest goat has to stand on a block to reach it. That stops the pooping in the feeders. I don't feed any animal medicated feed unless we are treating a specific problem. I know some use it as a preventative but I don't. The rough coat could also be the pre shedding look. My dairy does look pretty rough right now as they are starting to shed.

I hadn't thought about pre shedding. We didn't get them until April last year and they were babies. When we buy feed again, I will probably switch to regular. We are going to weigh them and worm them today. Thanks Terri!

I hadn't thought about pre shedding. We didn't get them until April last year and they were babies. When we buy feed again, I will probably switch to regular. We are going to weigh them and worm them today. Thanks Terri!

Your welcome. Just a thought, I don't give feed unless they are growing for market,we are milking them or my oldest who was having trouble holding weight over winter.

Your welcome. Just a thought, I don't give feed unless they are growing for market,we are milking them or my oldest who was having trouble holding weight over winter.

My problem is that DH thinks of and treats them like pets, not livestock. He thinks we have to feed them like we feed the dogs. I will try to get him to wean them off grain over the Spring and Summer.

Let's talk about your hay for a moment. Where does it come from ? How is it made ? We grow our own hay and it is very popular because it is organic, but more importantly because we make it ourselves without any chemical to dry it. Almost all farmers who make hay (except some Amish) in small bales, restort to using chemicals to dry it. That will get to some animals.

You might want to try a few bales of hay from a source you know is natural from beginning to finished bale, and see if it makes a difference.

I have two older goats donated from an accredited Farm Sanctuary. We are happy to be on their approved farm list, but this is our first goat family. We are feeding them as much natural hay as they want , and just a little grain due to a bit of an obesity problem. Everyone is doing well, after about 6 months.

s

Almost all farmers who make hay (except some Amish) in small bales, restort to using chemicals to dry it. That will get to some animals.

I will check about the hay, although in this small area I doubt it is organic. We don't have enough room to grow our own. I'm glad your new-ish ones are doing well!

Latest posts

Back