Going off grid in an RV

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In providing some info for DrJenner I realized I have a bit of good advice to offer. I don't think we already have a thread on this.

My wife and I purchased a 14 acre property in Oregon in 2014. We had a well put in during the purchase but it was just a hole in the ground. We had the septic system put in first in order to secure our conditional use permit to build in the future. We had planned on retiring here in about 10 years. Well after visiting several times we decided why wait so at 54 we moved and started our adventure. I guess now is a good time to mention I really recommend doing a journal. It isn't often people do this sort of thing anymore. We wish we had written down the ups and downs for our grandkids to read about some day. We lived off grid about 5 years until we got power put in and the well going. Another year after that we finished our current home.

Power- you need to reduce use as much as is possible. A good first step is replacing all bulbs with LED. They are brighter and use 30% of what a conventional bulb uses.
Some products that were also helpful.
Making coffee is a thing. You can either use a perculator on the stove - heat water and use a coffee press. We used one of these. It required starting the generator but it doesn't have or need power to keep the coffee hot since it is double insulated.
I saw mention that mister heaters were hard to come by. We used one with the 20lb bottle outside the Rv with the hose adapter. This was handy because it used less propane than the Rv furnace and did not require power to run the fan. The fan on the furnace is a huge drain on the batteries. We used one of these only when we were awake for safety reasons. More about staying warm later.

Last edited:
RVs are not designed to be lived in. For one, things tend to wear out. People generally use their RV a month maybe 2 out of the year. Get familiar with your manuals you will be needing them. For us we had a 32 ft triple slide 5th wheel without a large truck to pull it. We had the seller put it in place for us. So taking it to the RV repair shop was out. For me the refrigerator was the bain of my existence. Running it on propane was the most energy efficient. Again not meant to run 24/7 for years at a time. I would need to clean and adjust things frequently. When it acted up it always seemed to be right after a shopping trip. We had added skirting to help keep warm and not freezing underneath. We used 1inch pink panther foam from Home depot with a simple 2x3 wood frame. Also moisture may be a problem in winter since humidity is up and people tend to keep all the windows closed. I almost forgot using propane also adds to this problem. We started getting mold in closets and such. So we added moisture removers.

After our first miserable winter we built an add on and put in a wood stove. The side next to the RV was left open so we could open the windows and door to let the heat in. I used pipe insulation to close the gap between the 2. You know the black noodle looking stuff. The addition was a godsend. We had heat and a little extra room for the dog, coats, boot etc.

We left our son with our 28 ft Nomad when we moved, since he was pretty much staying in it anyway. He gutted it. Left the queen bed and bathroom and range/stove, but took out everything else. Put in a small specialized wood burner for heat, modified the kitchen counter to accomodate a Big Berkey filter, fills it up in the morning to filer, and that's his sink and everyday water (5 gallons). Took out a bunch of cupboards and the loveseat, too. It still tows, which is good, in case things go bad in Albuquerque, he can tow it here.

More products I will add them as I remember.

I already mentioned the Berkey filter in the other thread. We used this for drinking water. I have never heard anyone say drinking from the Rv holding tank was a good idea.

Stabilizers, these were a tremendous help. The the RV jiggled constantly everytime we moved. Even just rolling over in bed.
We used these for the slides.

This for the front.

Solar charging is the best bang for your buck. The generator will charge everything but you are burning fuel and wearing out your generator. We used something very similar to this. It worked pretty well even in Western Oregon with many cloudy days.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monoc...els&qid=1632969360&sprefix=solar+panel&sr=8-3
You also need to have a charge controller. This keeps the solar panels from overcharging and ruining your batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Charg...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited:
Solar panel, charge controller, inverter and battery technology have advanced sufficiently to run RVs from solar power alone.

This Camper trailer has 680W of solar panels on the roof, 860W that we place on the ground and 600W that we lay on top of the truck canopy. Those charge a pair of 250Ah LIFePO4 batteries that power the 12V DC items in the trailer and also power a 3000W Inverter that powers all the mains appliances (including the microwave, fridge/freezer, RC aircond, 1000W cooking element, hot water heater, washing machine, rice cooker, air fryer, etc, etc).

Camper Trailer.jpg

That setup can go completely off-grid for months.

Some RVers are going even further and eliminating all the propane powered gear from their new RVs.

Last edited:
Hardcalibres
That is a nice setup. I wish we had that. I took a huge pay cut leaving So Cal, so we were just barely scraping by. Again I wish I had journaled those challenges so we could look back on those days. I lost 30 pounds the first year. I was going to work everyday and just couldn't - wouldn't go to any of the free food places.

Hardcalibres
That is a nice setup. I wish we had that. I took a huge pay cut leaving So Cal, so we were just barely scraping by. Again I wish I had journaled those challenges so we could look back on those days. I lost 30 pounds the first year. I was going to work everyday and just couldn't - wouldn't go to any of the free food places.
***Off topic: You have no idea how much I respect that! I was a single mom w/ ex. not paying anything and didn't apply/take what I would certainly have qualified for.

Latest posts

Back