Good Free Movies Online

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My local government decided to invest in their productions by allowing them huge tax breaks even though all the top money makers of the films are imported here so none of that money stays in the State. Hence I am simply recouping the money from my investments as my taxes are higher because they got a discount. Fair is fair. :USA:
After all I don't tip a waitress if I have to serve and bus my own table.

So you are taking an honest days pay out of my pocket for the job I did as a on set costumer.

I need to mention something about the comment about production companies getting discounts for filming in a community not in California. Yes, they get discounts on their permits etc BUT if they are importing their workers the community is still seeing a kick back and a boost in the local economy. Production companies will give their 'imported' crew a per diem. This will cover the cost of the third meal the company is not feeding the crew and expenses while they are away from home. Not to mention the company is providing lodging for the out of town crew. So, you have about 30-100 rowdy and tired hard working people (10-14 hours a day, 6 days a week) in a community away from home with pocket money given to them by their employer. They are going to be at the local restaurants, bars, dives etc to entertain themselves while away from their families and homes. I don't see that as a bad deal for the community!

When I was down in the Caribbean for a shoot years back (almost 20) one of the actors would take the entire cast a crew to a pub for drinks almost nightly. He took a lot of the crew to dinner often as well. I was considered talent on that shoot so things were different for me on that trip. I went down there with a grand of my own spending money and came back with several grand on top of my day pay. The per diem was rather large but then I was stuffing my pockets from the craft service table rather then eat dinner.

When we had to shoot out in the desert about 13 years ago the production put us up in a hotel, fed us 3 meals a day and provided laundry services twice a week for the entire crew. They also made sure we had a day off the set to 'rest' but they still covered our meals.

A buddy of mine has been working in Georgia the past few years on a long standing production of a TV show (we all know which one I'm talking about). He told me a few years back that they were hiring locals to supplement the crew and cast. This seems to be the new standard for filming outside of California. I tease K we need to move out there so I can get some real work again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back