Good Samaritan Action!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
Well, Buoys & Gulls, I had an eventful day after all! I ran some errands in town, topped off the Camry---regular unleaded gasoline jumped $.70 per gallon, GRRRRR!!!---and wound up at WallyWorld, where the drama began to unfold like some Hollywood movie. I should've known something bad was gonna happen: the moment I pulled in and parked, a huge flock of pigeons descended upon my car and the nearby lot, like a scene from 'THE BIRDS' by Alfred Hitchcock, lol. Here are pics:

IMG_9838.JPG

IMG_9836.JPG

Leaving my car (on the opposite side from the birds, lol) and entering the store, I proceeded to knock out my shopping: beer, birdseed, septic-safe dish detergent, paper towels, and of course some canned cat food... I always check the cat food aisle to see if there's any preferred flavor available, 10-4? Anyway, I bagged everything I needed and headed for the door, making my exit and angling toward my parked car. :rolleyes:

That's when things got interesting, because some poor older guy with medical conditions (I think Parkinson's Disease was one of 'em) came stumbling out the door behind me, lost his balance and toppled his cart on its side. I immediately put my own cart aside and began to help the guy retrieve some fallen goods which were ejected from his cart. Some young gal also helped pick up loose items. :confused:

The guy was staggering around like he was drunk, I did NOT know of his medical problems at that time, or else I would've gone directly to his aid. He staggered around in jerky fashion in a broad semicircle, accelerated when he began to lose his balance for real, then fell HARD and I thought he slammed his head against one of those cement lamp footings in the parking lot, the ones painted yellow. :oops:

But the angle of my perspective was deceptive, turned out the poor ol' guy broke his arm in that hard fall, and we soon had more folks gathered round the guy as he lay in pain on the asphalt. One Good Samaritan was on the New Mexico State Patrol, only off duty with his wife or girlfriend. I didn't know right away that he was a cop, but he was right there with me seeing to this guy, yeah? So good on him for "manning up" to deal with the situation... :)

Some Walmart employees arrived and the assistant manager (or whoever) took charge in the corporate sense, though the State Patrol guy had already called an ambulance. Once we started to sort things out and get things done, I offered to take the guy's groceries home for him, since he had some perishable items in his now-upright cart. I also moved his pickup out of the reserved pharmacy spot, aye? The injured man was lucid enough to give me his keys and information. :(

While the other Good Samaritans waited for the ambulance to show, I loaded the guy's groceries into my nearby car, then returned to offer more assistance. Forgot to mention that I ripped one of my own paper towel rolls out of its package to serve as a pillow for the poor guy as he lay there on the hard asphalt. I did that before I went and moved his pickup. I kept the house key, and the truck keys went to the Walmart honcho afterward. 😒

So the ambulance arrived, a nurse or EMT started checking the guy, and he was eventually loaded on a gurney for a trip to our local hospital. During this time, the cop punched up the guy's address on Google Maps or whatever, so I'd know how to get there, and we also stuck around to give brief statements to the WallyWorld honcho before I split with the groceries for the guy's home. 🤔

Here's a funny part of this sad story: at some point during this incident, I needed to get the cop's attention, though I didn't yet know he was a cop. He was wearing a Buffalo Bills cap, one of those with the animal logo and no lettering, so I said, "HEY, BUFFALO BILL!!!" Later, we laughed about this, as we laughed when I told him on the side: "Cops and truck drivers, gettin' things DONE!" We actually had a little fist bump action going, lol. 🤣

After making my brief statement to the Walmart honcho, I took off and drove 2 or 3 miles north to the injured man's home and checked in with the neighbor and his wife (so they wouldn't think I was some tweekin' crackerhead breaking into the home, even though I had the front door key, lol). We unloaded the groceries and I put the perishable stuff in the fridge... during this time, the neighbor told me the guy's dog had died two weeks ago. 😢

I asked about animals, you understand, in case any needed care while the guy was in the hospital. Poor ol' dude has been having a run of bad luck lately, more's the pity. I offered to give the neighbor guy a ride back to WallyWorld to pick up the accident victim's truck, as I was heading that way anyway... my home is south of town, while the poor guy with the broken arm lives on the north side. 😐

Once we hit WallyWorld, I walked in so the honcho I dealt with earlier would recognize me as I vouched for the neighbor. The honcho retrieved the keys to the victim's truck from the Walmart safe, we shook hands with the honcho, and we made for the parking lot. Contact numbers were exchanged as well, and the nice neighbor (retired USAF) bade me farewell as I climbed into 'The Mighty Camry' and headed for the ol' hacienda at last. 🤠

The nice neighbor and his wife (also very nice, they're a bit older than I am, I think the gal said 74 when I mentioned my own age), well, they kinda look after this guy since he has medical problems, I guess he recently had a stroke too, which was probably a factor in his hard fall. Wish I had known that, so I could've gone directly to his aid and kept him from falling, but I'm no mind reader or fortune teller. 😖

Those same neighbors are checking on the guy right now, and they will eventually give him a ride home from the hospital, which is damned nice of 'em. I would've done it myself had they not volunteered. I sent a follow-up text to the cop and his gal, since they had texted me the guy's address just to make sure I had it, or in case I somehow forgot it... not likely, but hey, why NOT, right? 😉

Anyway, I met some folks today, and I hope to see the injured guy again to make sure he's alright... those neighbors & I might just throw him a 'get well party' in the form of a BBQ and a couple of beers, aye? I noticed some Black Velvet and a bottle of brandy (?) in the guy's fridge as I put the two gallon jugs of milk away, so I know the poor guy drinks... perhaps for "medicinal purposes." 🤒

Alright, that's my story of today's Good Samaritan action, I'm now at home and I'm enjoying a well-deserved cold beer, lol. Here's hoping the injured gent is alright now, he sure has had a run of bad luck lately with the stroke, his dog dying, etc. I didn't mind helping at all, as I wasn't on a time budget. Kinda reminded me of helping folks back in my 'trucking daze.' I sure hope the guy's okay now... 🤕

Last funny thing to salvage out of this f/u situation: after calling the State Patrol guy "Buffalo Bill" (due to his Bills ballcap), I later told him that he could take that to mean the pistoleer & Wild West showman, if he so desired, lol. He just laughed along with his wife/girlfriend, I never did find out which and it's none of my business anyway, 10-4? But we all pitched in today and helped a poor guy who really needed it. 😵

ALRIGHT, I'M BACK TO MY COLD BEER, I'LL BE MOVING ON TO ANOTHER THREAD... CHEERS!!! 🍺

Last edited:
I've been thinking, y'all---and we ALL know how DANGEROUS that can be---I've been thinking of this poor old guy who took a hard fall today, AFTER recently having a STROKE, and AFTER his beloved dog DIED two weeks ago, and I reckon I have a favor to ask of ya. 😟

Y'all know I'm not a terribly religious man, and not really into organized religion, I tend to lean toward Buddhism, which is more of a "philosophy" and NOT a religion. But I was raised Catholic, attended Sacred Heart School in Coronado before switching to the public zoo, and me dear departed mum was a very devout Catholic, aye? 🤔

Back in the day, she belonged to a 'prayer group' which would send prayers aloft for folks in dire straits who were having hard luck... and even though I'm an old rogue dinosaur & partyer who hasn't stepped into a church since me dear departed mum's funeral (11/2015), well, maybe there IS something to those prayers sent, yeah? So here's the favor I ask of you site members who are believers... 🙏

I don't even know this poor old guy's name, even though I've driven his truck, been in his house, and even opened his refrigerator, which of course is SACRED to bachelors. To me, this man is only known as "the guy who fell in the Alamogordo Walmart lot today." Do me a favor, and PRAY for this guy in his hour of need... that's all I ask. 😕

P.S. If I did step into a church, I might get struck by lightning, lol... just sayin', yeah? ;)

Last edited:
Here's something to consider, and Magus, this observation is for YOU, lol: I just looked at the calendar after seeing a gorgeous FULL MOON in the sky, and this is indeed the 'Day of the Full Moon.' Kinda weird, with all the crazy action I've seen today. I didn't mention this before, but while I was schleppin' that guy's groceries to my car in order to take them to his home, some minivan with the sliding side door WIDE OPEN went whizzing through the farther end of the WallyWorld parking lot at 30 m.p.h., and some gal was HOLLERIN' all kinds of obscenities & whatnot through the open door. I recall thinking to myself: "SWEET TAP-DANCIN' BABY JESUS, WHAT THE HECK IS NEXT?!?" :oops:

Thank y'all who replied to my original post, I'm just a little concerned about this complete stranger because he's a lot like me: no family nearby, perhaps no family at all, I don't really know. But at least his retired USAF neighbor routinely checks in on him at home, and will also give the poor guy a ride home after this broken arm fiasco, I'm just worried about the guy because he's been through the wringer lately, ya know? That's all... I mean we ALL got it COMING sooner or later, but with ALL of the GRIEF this poor guy has been through lately, it may really be SOONER instead of LATER, if ya catch my drift. I just hope he pulls through alright, maybe he & I can have a tumbler of that Black Velvet or brandy to celebrate later, aye? :confused:

Here's something to consider, and Magus, this observation is for YOU, lol: I just looked at the calendar after seeing a gorgeous FULL MOON in the sky, and this is indeed the 'Day of the Full Moon.' Kinda weird, with all the crazy action I've seen today. I didn't mention this before, but while I was schleppin' that guy's groceries to my car in order to take them to his home, some minivan with the sliding side door WIDE OPEN went whizzing through the farther end of the WallyWorld parking lot at 30 m.p.h., and some gal was HOLLERIN' all kinds of obscenities & whatnot through the open door. I recall thinking to myself: "SWEET TAP-DANCIN' BABY JESUS, WHAT THE HECK IS NEXT?!?" :oops:

Thank y'all who replied to my original post, I'm just a little concerned about this complete stranger because he's a lot like me: no family nearby, perhaps no family at all, I don't really know. But at least his retired USAF neighbor routinely checks in on him at home, and will also give the poor guy a ride home after this broken arm fiasco, I'm just worried about the guy because he's been through the wringer lately, ya know? That's all... I mean we ALL got it COMING sooner or later, but with ALL of the GRIEF this poor guy has been through lately, it may really be SOONER instead of LATER, if ya catch my drift. I just hope he pulls through alright, maybe he & I can have a tumbler of that Black Velvet or brandy to celebrate later, aye? :confused:
I just read your post. I appreciate what you and everyone who was there did for this poor old man. It could be any of us one day, out there having recently had a stroke and struggling with balance. Or being old and alone, with no one close by to help use. I have a few stories of helping people out and of being helped by others. It is humbling. So glad you were there for him, and also that he has neighbors who care about him.

Ya know, this incident reminded me of another incident in San Diego County, where I helped some needy folks as I was heading toward Western Pennsylvania with a load of lead solder waste aboard the big truck, lol. Here's the blog about THAT incident, it was equally crazy to THIS one, 10-4? :oops:

For The Birds

ENJOY!!! ;)

Edit: And thank you, Weedygarden, for making your very astute observations... you are an honorable person!!! :)

Last edited:
That poor guy. "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" What else could go wrong? Wingnut, you earned a place in Heaven for your kindness. I'll buy the next beer. :great:

Fair play for going the extra mile @Wingnut I'll put one behind the bar for you ;)
I do wonder though, will this man ever have the pleasure of living in his own home again? If it were here they'd be stashing him in a carehome, or at least giving him a carer to pop in morning and eve.

I want y'all to know that if this guy makes it out of the hospital, he is gonna have a new friend... MOI, along with his caring neighbors who help look after him. Dunno why I feel so strongly about this whole incident, I just do... maybe because we are alike in many ways, he's like an older version of me, with no immediate family around to check on him. Here's hoping he made it through the night, I stayed up late (well after midnight) so I woke late this morning, but I managed to get the trash bin out on the curb, and I even styled out the driver, lol. He was stoked, I told him it was an early Christmas present, lol. :cool:

Hey Wingnut,
I have several pictures like the ones you posted. Back when I was on patrol I used to go buy really cheap bags of WM potato chips. I would then cruise up and down the isles. When someone would park, I waited and then though out a bunch of chips beside their car, The birds would come swooping in causing all grades havoc. I called it trolling. It made me laugh because I am warped like that.

Haven't heard yet from the guy's neighbor (retired USAF), he told me he'd definitely call and let me know how the guy is doing. I sure hope the injured guy is alright, he has had a run of really bad luck lately... :(

Just Cliff, I hear ya... but I've mellowed with age, lol. Nowadays, I tell family & friends that enough trouble comes to a man in his lifetime without his having to go look for it, yeah? ;)

Guess I'll log out and watch a movie on the curved screen, maybe read a Western. Might have a beer, though I'm not in the mood to party heavily, lol. Did that last night, and wound up sleeping in till something like 10:00, lol. :oops:

Edit: One of these days, I'll get started on my 'Road Safety' thread, I've been meaning to do that but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Who knows? Maybe it'll help some youngster just starting to drive, lol... 😎

Wait, is THAT how you want your STEAK? Cuz' here at the ol' hacienda, we usually have ours MEDIUM RARE, lol... ;)
Well done with the Gentleman.
I use to get my steaks well done, but I wanted it the second the pink disappeared, no one seem to understand that.
So now I order it medium well, sometime it is more red than pink, but most of the time it is pink line.
Poultry & fish has to be well done, always.

Well, do I ever have news for y'all, lol... I stopped by the retired USAF neighbor's home today, since I was kinda worried about the man who took the fall. Frankly, I thought he might have DIED, as I didn't hear from the neighbor at all since the day the injured man fell, right? Usually, a retired military man will live up to his word... but it turns out he has been busy helping the injured man all week. In fact, the injured man was at the neighbor's house today, so we all had a happy reunion and are fast becoming friends after that horrific fall the guy took. The guy actually broke his arm in THREE places, and the surgical scar he was sportin' today was GNARLY!!! Here it is, or part of it anyway, there's more under that bandage or sling!!! :oops:

IMG_0238.JPG

Pretty NASTY, yeah??? Like something out of FRANKENSTEIN, lol. The guy's whole shoulder & upper arm were BLACK earlier, this is an improvement, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Doctors had to slit his entire upper arm! Needless to say, the guy was still in pain, and he was OVERJOYED when I tossed a large sack o' buds his way, lol. He has been using MMJ for pain control for years, so no big deal, at least not to me. I told him I don't trust Big Pharma, and of course there was some issue with the BP cr@p the doctor prescribed for him. Moi: "Dude, toss that cr@p and try this instead!!!" Now we're friends for life, lol... he's a funny guy too, tougher mentally than I gave him credit for earlier. He has a grocery list of medical problems he's dealing with at this point in his life, but he hasn't lost his sense of humor, which is important, IMHO. :)

The USAF neighbor's wife returned home during my visit, so our reunion got even happier and I had ONE cold beer (still had to drive home, though I had a full stomach and the beer was my first). All of us were joking and laughing our @$$e$ off, the gal said we could write a country song about Clyde (the injured man's name, like the orangutan in Clint's movies wherein he stars as Philo Beddoe). She's right too, with all the grief this guy has experienced lately, but he was alright today, and he even said he's gonna get another Dachshund once his arm is healed (to replace the beloved dog he lost a few weeks ago). We FINALLY got to know each other's names as we exchanged phone numbers and whatnot... funny thing, we're gonna be good friends henceforth, despite the ugly fall and the broken arm and all. 🤕

I had stopped by the USAF neighbor's home earlier this week, but nobody was home, and the injured man or Clyde's home looked empty... in fact, it had already been sold, it was in escrow when the hard fall occurred. That's why I thought maybe the guy had died, but that was not the case... he was up in Cloudcroft, where he bought another home, a really nice place which used to be a B&B or whatever. So I'll be visiting Clyde regularly to make sure he's alright... I'll stop in to see him every time I ride my bike in the mountains, lol. Call him first to warn him that I'm on my way, lol... but I can tell we're gonna have some good BBQs and whatnot up there in the pines, I don't mind doing the cooking since I'm a good cook anyway. You should've seen how happy Clyde was when I broke out that big ol' sack o' heller chronic, lol. 😀

I actually saved him the trouble of asking Paul (the USAF neighbor) to run to the dispensary for him... forgot to mention that Clyde can't drive, Paul was actually chauffeuring Clyde around today to get some shopping done. I told Clyde that now he wouldn't have to bother asking Paul to run that specific errand, lol. So the abundance of weed actually came in handy here, since Clyde can & will use it for pain control. That arm of his looked pretty ugly, it must have been a bad triple break! I still remember him lying in pain on the asphalt in the WallyWorld parking lot, and he didn't look so good then either, lol. Ah, well, now he's doing better and he has some friends to look after him & help him, which I'll gladly do if he needs it, since the poor guy already has so much on his plate. All things considered, this situation could've turned out MUCH WORSE! 😒

OKAY, I'M OFF TO POST ELSEWHERE, JUST WANTED TO SHARE THIS HAPPY ENDING TO THE STORY!!! 😎

Last edited:
Hey, you know what? This whole scene could've ended MUCH WORSE, I'm just glad the guy's okay and slowly healing, aye? And he kinda reminds me of ME, since he's on his own here in the boondocks, 10-4? But we're gonna change that up a little and start hanging out, we all had a good time today discussing everything, lol. That was a HARD FALL, brother, and I've not only seen a few hard falls in my time, I've weathered a few as well... I thought the guy cracked his head open when he struck that cement lamp footing in the parking lot, but my angle of perspective was off, and he *ONLY* broke his arm in three places. After having a stroke earlier and losing his dog... damn the luck. :confused:

Latest posts

Back