Good sayings for small town T-shirts.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am getting back into the silk screen shirt business and I am looking for ideas on sayings to put on the shirts. I was thinking of "Someone in (town name) loves me." or possibly "I went to (town name) and all I got was this lousy T-shirt." I remember in the movie The Great Outdoors with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd one of the old timers was wearing a shirt that said "I've been to Duluth." and I made one with our towns name.
I can't use copyrighted stuff or copy custom designs someone else created, I am just looking for cute or comical sayings akin to small town life.

Thank you in advance.

A little town we go to on occasion has a sign that reads, "This is our little piece of Heaven, please don't drive like Hell through it."
If there is something your town is "known" for, it's easier to go from there. There's a small town not far that has "Muddy Frogwater", another is Huckleberry festival, etc.

There's a couple around where I grew up. The little town of Alden, Iowa is on the Iowa River and has a large, low head dam. The town motto is, "Alden, Iowa - Best Town by a "Dam" Sight".
Buckeye, Iowa (Pop. 97) sold shirts that said, "Hell yeah, I've been to Buckeye!" and they had an outline of the state with a star where Buckeye is.

A little town we go to on occasion has a sign that reads, "This is our little piece of Heaven, please don't drive like Hell through it."
If there is something your town is "known" for, it's easier to go from there. There's a small town not far that has "Muddy Frogwater", another is Huckleberry festival, etc.
Known for? Well, they tore down the old abandoned motel about 4 years ago, I do plan to research that and get pictures and information to make a T-shirt for that. The local marathon race starts here, I will probably make a shirt (unrelated) related to that, but not mentioning anything official so the people in charge can't give me grief. Um, new people moving here keep nagging about getting the gravel roads paved or other "improvements" they miss because they moved away from fancy neighborhoods to a small rural community and now they expect it to change into what they left.
That's about it.

We used to live in Corrales New Mexico. There were two signs coming into town. One said, "Drive slow, see our village. Drive fast, see our judge".
Another was a sign with a jumping coyote on it, and it said, "This is an animal friendly village". The funny thing was it had 2 bullet holes in the sign.

We used to live in Corrales New Mexico. There were two signs coming into town. One said, "Drive slow, see our village. Drive fast, see our judge".
Another was a sign with a jumping coyote on it, and it said, "This is an animal friendly village". The funny thing was it had 2 bullet holes in the sign.
This made me think.......
Beware of cougars. and have an image of a mountain lion and an image of a woman.

Froglevel, original name of a town near me, built on the edge of a swamp. They have a froglevel festival each summer. People wear froglevel Tshirts, businesses use it, back in the dialup days my local ISP was “froglevel”. Do you do simple artwork, toons etc?

Froglevel_01a.jpg
Froglevel_03a.jpg

Help save OUR FORESTS
******EAT a BEAVER******

"Belly-Up Investment Co."

Last edited:
Froglevel, original name of a town near me, built on the edge of a swamp. They have a froglevel festival each summer. People wear froglevel Tshirts, businesses use it, back in the dialup days my local ISP was “froglevel”. Do you do simple artwork, toons etc?
I try to stick with simply artwork. It's fairly easy to create a clipart by copying the image from a screenshot, that is how I made the silhouette of the beehive I used on my last design. One or two color prints are easiest, I can do up to 4 colors but I prefer not doing that many because it is time consuming. Very few of the Tshirts sold in stores have more than 2 colors and most just use one color.

Sayings?
Rats get fat and good men die.

It is what it is, get over it or die on top of it.

Loose as a goose in (Town name here)

Next time I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Next time I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Sure, I'm fat, but I can lose weight. you're stuck being ugly.

Politics and religion. thinning out the population since day one!

If I wanted an a-hole's advice, I'd fart.

Everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I need a drink before breakfast!

Trusting politicians is like getting raped in prison, you know its going to happen, you just don't know how bad it will be or how many times its
going to happen.

Kiss the clam!

Lick it, suck it, slam it! get the worm! rinse repeat. I love tequila!

Sayings?
Rats get fat and good men die.

It is what it is, get over it or die on top of it.

Loose as a goose in (Town name here)

Next time I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Next time I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Sure, I'm fat, but I can lose weight. you're stuck being ugly.

Politics and religion. thinning out the population since day one!

If I wanted an a-hole's advice, I'd fart.

Everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I need a drink before breakfast!

Trusting politicians is like getting raped in prison, you know its going to happen, you just don't know how bad it will be or how many times its
going to happen.

Kiss the clam!

Lick it, suck it, slam it! get the worm! rinse repeat. I love tequila!
Those don't quite fit in with the small town sayings category.

Utah has 3 cities within about a couple hours drive of each other, the names are Fillmore, Virgin, Beaver. I am planning a shirt. Beaver has the market on their "I ♥️ Beaver" stuff.
I was going to suggest looking up the Beaver, Utah shirts. I stopped at the truck stop on I-15 at Beaver one time and was kind of surprised by how risque some of their shirts were. Didn't think that kind of thing would go over well in Utah. This one was my favorite...

Screenshot_20220815-102853_Chrome.jpg

Look up the town on Wikipedia for notable info.
Line drawing 3”x3” on upper right quadrant of the shirt of an old landmark of the town. Fancy font the name Welcome to the city of ______. Or just City of _ _ _ .

I was going to suggest looking up the Beaver, Utah shirts. I stopped at the truck stop on I-15 at Beaver one time and was kind of surprised by how risque some of their shirts were. Didn't think that kind of thing would go over well in Utah. This one was my favorite...

View attachment 92622

That reminds me, there's a store in Salem MA called Bunghole Liquors. 😆

Our local grocery store has a selection of "hometown" t-shirts. No idea how well they sell, but they have "Springville Alumni", "Springville fan", "Springville Superfan" - some with and without the HS logo on them (no idea what it takes to use something like that). Other fun ones I've seen around:
  • I've been to XXX, but Smalltown has my heart
  • The prettiest girls are from Smalltown
  • Smalltown Famous
  • Smalltown girl or Just a Smalltown girl
  • Smalltown tractor pull champion 1984
  • Ain't nothing like a Smalltown Girl/Boy
  • I'm a big deal in Smalltown
  • You've been to Smalltown, you just blinked and missed it
Or something like:

Attachments

• 1660579154093.png
    1660579154093.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1660579182647.png
    1660579182647.png
    947.7 KB · Views: 0
Our local grocery store has a selection of "hometown" t-shirts. No idea how well they sell, but they have "Springville Alumni", "Springville fan", "Springville Superfan" - some with and without the HS logo on them (no idea what it takes to use something like that). Other fun ones I've seen around:
  • I've been to XXX, but Smalltown has my heart
  • The prettiest girls are from Smalltown
  • Smalltown Famous
  • Smalltown girl or Just a Smalltown girl
  • Smalltown tractor pull champion 1984
  • Ain't nothing like a Smalltown Girl/Boy
  • I'm a big deal in Smalltown
  • You've been to Smalltown, you just blinked and missed it
Or something like:
I like it. Thank you, and those shirts would be simple to do. Simple but stylish design, easy peasy.

Maybe think outside of the box. My wife just bought me a T shirt with a bigfoot image on it. For some reason bigfoot is making a comeback in our area of the rocky mountains. Why not start something such as "it could have been bigfoot that did it" I guess the line "it could have been aliens" has been used.

Where ever you go there you are. I just watched forest gump again the other day and they have a few T shirt ideas created in the movie.

I have always wanted a T shirt with a bunch of useful first aid , survival and knot tying words and illustrations printed on it.

Depending on your demographic you want to sell too, tailor your ideas.,.....how about a representation of a six pack of beer printed over the belly where the hardbodies would have a six pack.

Can't think of any catchy slogans right this instant, but a T-shirt with farm tractors or old trains on it would probably be popular... many years ago, I had a T-shirt with a piece of climbing hardware on it, a Chouinard hex with a sling or loop of line through it, and that shirt always generated compliments. Some folks who didn't recognize the gear would ask me what it was, lol... I never had a problem with folks asking about such things. The shirt was a nice shade of purple too, which is my favorite color! Funny that I should remember that shirt. Nowadays, my 2A shirts get the most attention: my favorite is the one with three Injuns holding rifles, while the lettering reads, "TURN IN YOUR GUNS... THE GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!" :oops:

Whenever I wear that shirt here in Redneck Land, it never fails to elicit laughter and compliments, lol... ;)

Edit: Since I'm drinking a beer and chilling out, the cats all asleep, I went ahead and photographed the shirt, along with a Duke shirt that always receives favorable compliments... :cool:

IMG_8406.JPG

IMG_8407.JPG

Didn't get the shirts fully leveled out, but meh, we're living in an imperfect world, lol... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's a faded 2A shirt that still gets compliments:

IMG_8445.JPG

And my Lowcard Deuce of Clubs shirt... Lowcard is a skateboard outfit, they publish a magazine and sling gear, but the Deuce of Clubs worked perfectly in Show Low, AZ, which was founded on the turn of a card. The Deuce of Clubs, lowest card in the deck, lol. At one point in my nautical career, my mainsail had four "bullets" (aces) spread as in a hand, with the Ace of Spades on top and two crossed six-shooters underneath, flame spitting from each barrel, lol. I think a shirt like that would sell, no lettering required, aye? Just four aces and two six-guns... maybe I can find a photo of that classic rig, it certainly made a statement & garnered attention on San Diego Bay, lol. Anyway, here's the Lowcard shirt:

IMG_8446.JPG

Lemme see about finding a shot of that rig with the aces and six-shooters... ;)

Edit: Okay, here's a shot of the rig, lol... :oops:

c59645.jpg

Might as well toss in this classic hull job... :rolleyes:

c77956.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back