got two new orphan kids today just a couple hours old

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judy mayes

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
got two brand new ophan kids today just a few hours old did miolk out the dam and tube fed her two babies colostrum and some other colostrum also and bar guard ,b complex and bo-se they had a rattle and were very poor condition but are becomming more strong still cannot walk one is trying har and wanting to suck the other is lagging behind some she had mor fluid in her ...can anyone offer anything else i can do or give them ...would an antibiotic help now ?
Judy

Last edited:
the one still cant walk and will not nurse this morning and slightly shaking and the other ones front legs almost knee over there were three must be a muscle weakness and suggestions
fortified b complex 1/4 cc inj how often to use fortified b complex ?

Last edited:
got an newborn orphan kid two days ago and she cant walk front legs they are over at the knee and bowed ,needing know people think of splinting for a few days them putting on the other leg ?
she has had all necessary vit inj .

@judy mayes What is the temp of the one who is not eating? Temp must be close to normal before food.
You may also try to take some vit E and squirt it into their mouths.
If they don't eat you may have to tube feed them.

I got this from Onion Creek goats:
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/goatmedications.html
Fortified Vitamin B Complex - Over-the-counter product. This product can be used instead of Thiamine since it has 100 mg/ml thiamine in it. Products without "fortified" in the label have inadequate levels of thiamine. If such products must be used, then the dosage must be increased to achieve a thiamine level of 100 mg/ml. Example: If the product has only 25 mg/ml thiamine, then the dosage given must be multiplied by four. B vitamins are water soluble; a healthy rumen produces B vitamins daily. Dosage is 4 cc per 100 pounds bodyweight.

There is a goat forum on Facebook that is awesome and full of very knowledgeable people as far as goat illnesses and remedies. if you use facebook look for "Sucessful Goatng with Rosie". Join that group and post your questions there. They are amazing at being helpful and will stick with you throughout the problem.

Do not splint weak legs. They need to build muscle. Stand them off and on and hold them up. Help them stand and build muscle.

@judy mayes What is the temp of the one who is not eating? Temp must be close to normal before food.
You may also try to take some vit E and squirt it into their mouths.
If they don't eat you may have to tube feed them.

I got this from Onion Creek goats:
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/goatmedications.html
Fortified Vitamin B Complex - Over-the-counter product. This product can be used instead of Thiamine since it has 100 mg/ml thiamine in it. Products without "fortified" in the label have inadequate levels of thiamine. If such products must be used, then the dosage must be increased to achieve a thiamine level of 100 mg/ml. Example: If the product has only 25 mg/ml thiamine, then the dosage given must be multiplied by four. B vitamins are water soluble; a healthy rumen produces B vitamins daily. Dosage is 4 cc per 100 pounds bodyweight.

There is a goat forum on Facebook that is awesome and full of very knowledgeable people as far as goat illnesses and remedies. if you use facebook look for "Sucessful Goatng with Rosie". Join that group and post your questions there. They are amazing at being helpful and will stick with you throughout the problem.

Do not splint weak legs. They need to build muscle. Stand them off and on and hold them up. Help them stand and build muscle.
thank you Judy

they was born ,wet and very weak i got her warmed up and gave her mothers colostrum and bo-se and she couldnt walk she is stronger can stand but takes a couple steps and falls can anyone suggest anything i can give her or do for her ? The other one always walked better.
Judy

does anyone use bio mycin i need to know if its used once a day or twice ?
Judy
Judy I have never used that antibiotic. I use penG or LA200.
Sounds like they are improving. is the weaker one standing on her own or standng then falling? Sounds like she may be getting her leg muscles built a bit. I hold mine on their legs and let them stand as I kind of hold them up. I do that a few times a day to build their muscles. They should be getting milk at least 4 times per day when they are real young. They should be getting 20% of their body weight if from a bottle. If you think they are too weak you can give them some magic juice. It is Karo syrup with some corn oil and some molasses. I have given them a squirt of nutridrench at times when I thought they need a bit of a boost if you have any.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back