Got your hummingbird feeders up yet?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Put our hummingbird feeders up Saturday morning, heard a rumor that a community not far from here saw a couple of hummingbirds. :)

With a name like "Hummingbird Hill Gardens", of course we gotta have hummingbird feeders.

(It was just a name we liked and it stuck. Haven't done a lot with it yet.)

My sister has a hedge of trumpet vines for the hummingbirds. They did enjoy the tobacco flowers when I grew them some years ago. I was still finding volunteer tobacco plants last year.

Ben

I would like to e-mail my property manager and ask if I can maintain a couple of bird feeders down below my porch. It’s the perfect area. I can put feeders either by the fence or under the trees. I’m on the fourth floor.
C7A934CF-3599-480B-A4EA-61A7BCA272DD.jpeg

Since you mentioned this @PopPopT, I’m going to write that e-mail this evening and let you know what she says. It could be a hard no, but I’m going to insist I’ll take good care of them, like I used to back home.

There are a lot of birds here but no feeders that I see. More of a business and row home district. Wish me luck 😁 for the birds!

My sister has a hedge of trumpet vines for the hummingbirds. They did enjoy the tobacco flowers when I grew them some years ago. I was still finding volunteer tobacco plants last year.

Ben

Neb they loved our Mimosa Trees.But tjose trees will do a number on your septic lines. The roots are hard to get up too. I used a pic ax and regular axtrying to get rid of the,.I think I did. Its neen about 10 or more years since one came back.

We have butterfly bushes aka SilkWeed for butter flys but no hummingbird trees.

We can't find the necter. Not sure if we should use sugar water or not. :dunno:

I never buy it anymore. Way too expensive. 1 cup of sugar, 3.5 cups of water. And I'm evil, I put in maybe 2 or 3 drops of red food coloring to the gallon. It's for me, not them. It doesn't make it RED, but it adds a bit of color so I can see it more easily. I've been called nigh unto Hitler for doing that but I do. Dunno, I may see if I can find some more "friendly" food coloring sometime, if this other stuff ever runs out. I have a tiny bottle and I've been using on it for 2 years, and it still has a bunch more in it.

Ben

The hummers were quite amusing last year. They followed us around as though we were going to lead them to new delicacies. They would follow us around our gardens and would land on interesting flowers we wouldn't have expected, like lima bean blossoms. Whatever they like! :)

The hummers were quite amusing last year. They followed us around as though we were going to lead them to new delicacies. They would follow us around our gardens and would land on interesting flowers we wouldn't have expected, like lima bean blossoms. Whatever they like! :)

They come right up to our sister in law on her porch,she loves them.Going to try thr sugar water.:Thankyou:

Unfortunately we are slightly to far north for hummingbirds. They have been seen frequently in the valley immediately south of our valley, about 40 miles away, but no recorded sightings in our area. My wife still puts up her hummingbird feeder each summer waiting for global warming to bring them into our valley. One of these days we might see them in our area.

I know that people who live around me have hummers, but I have yet to see one in my yard, in spite of hanging feeders. I keep trying. I haven't ever seen a mantis in my yard.
You have to look sharp to see them. Even the egg cases are hard to spot. After pruning back some raspberries this winter I found an egg case on a cane I had trimmed. And I was looking for them.

Ben

Unfortunately we are slightly to far north for hummingbirds. They have been seen frequently in the valley immediately south of our valley, about 40 miles away, but no recorded sightings in our area. My wife still puts up her hummingbird feeder each summer waiting for global warming to bring them into our valley. One of these days we might see them in our area.
That is some wishful thinking. I will use that story the next time I am debating global warming.

Ben

The praying mantis kills hummingbirds.

The cats try to get 'em. And sometimes they fly into a window. But in all my years of seeing the hummers around feeders in lots of places, I have yet to see a praying mantis anywhere near a hummingbird feeder. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not exactly commonplace in the places I've been.

Wife is putting hers up this weekend. She tracks year to year when they arrive and she been sucessful in mid April. She only makes her own nectar, same ratio you use. We've counted over 20 circling waiting on a spot at the feeder. They are cool to watch. Our feeders are on our back deck up over the basement. Our grill is there too, so when I'm cooking I see and hear them constantly.

We've counted over 20 circling waiting on a spot at the feeder.

It's really cool to see that many at one time. It becomes difficult to count them when their numbers get that high as they keep buzzing around. I'm pretty sure we've seen numbers in the low 20's just sitting and feeding but then there are always others who will swoop in and knock some of 'em off their perches such that the count... well... my eyes and my brain just can't keep up.

We have 5 feeders on the front porch where most of the activity is and then two more near a back porch that also get used. It's nice to separate them a bit so that the bully at one can't interfere with somebody else feeding on the other one. Feisty little buggers, they be. :) But we enjoy them.

Never got friendly enough with them to get them to sit on a finger but I think my wife's mom could do that.

It's really cool to see that many at one time. It becomes difficult to count them when their numbers get that high as they keep buzzing around. I'm pretty sure we've seen numbers in the low 20's just sitting and feeding but then there are always others who will swoop in and knock some of 'em off their perches such that the count... well... my eyes and my brain just can't keep up.

We have 5 feeders on the front porch where most of the activity is and then two more near a back porch that also get used. It's nice to separate them a bit so that the bully at one can't interfere with somebody else feeding on the other one. Feisty little buggers, they be. :) But we enjoy them.

Never got friendly enough with them to get them to sit on a finger but I think my wife's mom could do that.
There is a deep set of theorems in calculus called Green an Stokes theorems where a volume is integral is reduced to a surface integral.

Like counting fish in an aquarium pass an imaginary plane through the volume and count as each bird crosses the imaginary plane. The same process can be used used to count blood cell count crowd size.

Ben

Our last spring frost last year was just past the middle of May, pretty late for year, but it was severe enough that there wasn't much local fruit last summer.

It's been unseasonably warm here for late March and April, almost too warm. And of course, last week we had temps down into the low 20's to do a number on all of those early apply and peach blossoms. I have one tree, a volunteer, that I've been eyeballin' for a couple of years that lives at a woods line. I had seen it while mowing and remarked to myself that it sure looked like a peach tree. Well, this year, I saw the most beautiful blossoms on it, sure looked like peach blossoms, to me, too. Of course, I saw them right before the frost. So, here I come, in all my "redneckness", with stakes to make a big "tent", and a big swath of greenhouse plastic that I had left over from putting up our small high tunnel, plus a couple of trouble lights for a bit of heat, should have been about 300 watts or so, but I figured that would at least keep the temps above freezing.

I think the neighbors probably thought we snapped our cap when they drove by for those 3 nights. Looked a bit like a deranged nativity scene. But hey, it worked. Those blossoms did really well through that cold snap and now we're back in the 70's in the daytime, 40's and 50's at night cycle. The sour cherry tree decided it was time to get into the act about 2 days ago and started poppin' pretty little cherry blossoms, too. The bradford pear has turned from a white snowball to a green tree and the maples are really coming out now, too. So maybe spring has sprung. :) The grass has certainly rizz, and had it's first cutting, as well.

Will we have another frost as ol' man winter thumbs his nose at us on the way out? Probably. He does that to us most every year. So we'll keep the row covers handy. :)

Sorry, rambling a bit... maybe a hummer will be by today. :)

That is some wishful thinking. I will use that story the next time I am debating global warming.

Ben

There range has been moving steadily northward. We are simply ready for them to arrive. 😊

Latest posts

Back