Gout. Any natural safe way to lessen it's effects?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have Gout, I'm lucky in that it's not to bad. I asked the Doc for how long and said I have to take 1 pill a day for the rest of my life for it. Would rather not take a pill every day but it controls it.

Anyone else know of a good way to lessen it?

Concentrated cherry juice mixed with water to taste for bouts.

Dried cherries, about 6/day, for maintenance.

If I eat yogurt I eat the cherry yogurt with real fruit.

I know as much about gout as I know about raising chickens, but I do know a couple people who had issues with gout that talked to me about eating keto based on advice that they had received from other. Which would mirror what *Andi just posted about eliminating sugar and soda. Also organic apple cider is also used by many keto eaters because it assists with the process of ketosis and reduce the bodies reaction to sugars. Cherries are of course not keto but perhaps some kind of hybrid sugar free diet is in the cards.

"Urtica urens" aka small stinging nettle as well as "Urtica dioica" aka stinging nettle have been used for centuries to remove uric acid wastes from the body. You can buy it as a tincture, in capsules, even dried for making a tea.

Sassafras tea is also used to detoxify the blood stream. Celery seed is also good for gout.

The is a renowned herbalist that lives in Ithaca, NY. His name is 7song. He runs the Northeast School of Botanical Medicine. He also works with the Ithaca Free Clinic. He could help you out if you happen to be driving near Ithaca.

The is a renowned herbalist that lives in Ithaca, NY. His name is 7song. He runs the Northeast School of Botanical Medicine. He also works with the Ithaca Free Clinic. He could help you out if you happen to be driving near Ithaca.
Thanks I'll see if I can at the very least email him

I been doing some reading the last few minutes. There are several more plants that help gout. These plants were used for gout by the late great Tommie Bass… Corn Silk, Poke Sallet, Prickly Ash and Queen Ann’s Lace. They all detoxify or purify the blood.

In may not be something in your diet that is causing uric acid to build up. It could also be one or more things missing from your diet. I used to travel a lot for my job, I found myself eating the same things, eating at the same chain restaurants in different states. If I found myself in a strange city it was comforting to eat at name brand restaurants I recognized. My health was crap during those years.

Just a thought, greatly varying your diet may help. :)

I pour a little ACV into a glass and just fill it with water. I rather enjoy it. If I get too much vinegar I just add a bit more water. I have tried adding honey but I'm trying to stay away from the carbs right now.

Our fresh market carries Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with Ginger Spice in it, and that spice cuts the vinegar taste a bit.

For gout, the only thing I do is eat about a lb of fresh cherries in one sitting and it goes away soon after. I rarely get gout, because after the first time, ouch!!, I've added a small amount of cherries to my regular diet.
Bragg-Organic-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Drink-Ginger-Spice-074305051166.jpg

After I started the ACV I went on the keto diet. I eliminated the cherries and just have them in reserve. The ACV is working by itself, or in conjunction with the keto, or the keto is working by itself.

@Flight I have trained in Swedish massage and reflexology and you might want to try massaging your legs from the ankles to the groin using a natural oil. What this does is it causes the lymphatic system to drain excess fluid and the body to absorb it. I agree ACV tastes disgusting :D , but mind you I hate the taste of vinegar anyway. Let me know if it helps you take down the swelling and makes it more comfortable.

I had several bouts of Gout…. 15 years ago or so. Crippling pain. Dr. gave me shots in the afflicted area and drugs to take home. Month or so later, BAM, another one. I recall I had three in a year at that point and maybe 6 or 7 total. We sat and had a long talk. I just wanted them to stop! He believed it was my diet at the time. I was eating a lot of red meat in my diet, like 6 days a week. I had a connection for prime cuts and was loving it at the time! I was eating vegies also, had the garden so it was not a strictly carnivore diet, just an overindulgence.

So, changed up the diet. Didn’t eliminate the delicacy, but cut down to one, two meals a week. Have not had a bout since then and it has been… yeah, at least 15 years.

Went through a segment of life with Kidney Stones. Another crippling pain issue. Big ones also, surgery things to remove them as they would not leave the kidney itself and had several that got stuck and would not pass. Had the long talk with the Doc. Diet again. Love me some good cheese and was drinking a lot of raw milk (same connection as the meat!). Changed the diet and lowered my intake, not eliminated, but moderated it. BAM!. One stone after that, which they knew had already formed but passed fairly easily. And none since. Interesting timeline on this. I had the kidney stones first, then the Gout. I changed my diet to get rid of the stone issue and brought on the gout from the change. Everything in moderation…. Lesson learned.

Have you had a good sit down with your physician? A really good sit down I mean. I do miss my Physician since I moved, he was old school. First thing wasn’t to run a lot of tests, take blood, MRI and all. I would get a complete physical, then just talk. What have you been doing lately, hobbies, diet, changes in life? Seems he would check for mental stability as well as physical. After the talk, he would then decide what tests to run, instead of just running the full gamut first. I liked that. He was able to solve a lot without lab work.

Gout is a Metabolic Disorder, and is not "caused" by what you Eat, but what you Eat certainly will exacerbate the condition. Gout occurs when Uric Acid builds up in the Blood, and comes out of Solution. If you were to look at it under a Microscope it would look like Shards of Glass in your Blood, this is what causes the Inflammation, Swelling, Pain, and ultimately damage to the Joints. More importantly it also causes damage to the Micro Capillaries in your Eyes, and other Organs like your Kidneys, impairing their ability to Filter your Blood. While Home Remedies like Cherry Juice work, they only address the Signs and Symptoms, and not the underlying Metabolic Disorder. This is where Drugs like "Uloric" come in, they not only clear the Uric Acid from the Blood, but Inhibit the Production of Uric Acid in the first place. One of the many things that you can do to Minimize the effects of Gout is to avoid Foods that are high in something called Pureins, this is the Precursor to Uric Acid, and some Foods are higher than others. Foods like Organ Meats, excessive consumption of rich Meats like Prime Rib, and Concentrated Sauces and Gravies, and some Sea Foods like Oysters are very high in Puriens and should be avoided. Another Food to avoid is Alcohol, Beer especially. You can go online and find a list of Foods to avoid, or to minimize in your Diet. Hope this helps.

@Vthrillman I totally agree that is sadistic :eek: . Personally I would go for the massage from the ankles up to drain the lymphatic system and let the body absorb the excess fluid :D . It wouldn't be an issue for us to eat less beef as we are only minimal meat eaters here anyway but do eat a lot of vegetables.

Apple cider vinegar is good. Lemon juice is also good. I find it much easier to get the lemon juice down the the apple cider vinegar. My go-to drink of choice is water with lemon in it, all of the time. It's just what I drink anyway.

Something that helped me with the ACV, I stumbled upon by accident. I found that if I brew a cup of ginger tea, I can add the ACV and a little sweetener of choice (stevia for me, could be honey) and it's easier for me to get down than just trying to drink it in water.

Gout is a Metabolic Disorder, and is not "caused" by what you Eat, but what you Eat certainly will exacerbate the condition. Gout occurs when Uric Acid builds up in the Blood, and comes out of Solution. If you were to look at it under a Microscope it would look like Shards of Glass in your Blood, this is what causes the Inflammation, Swelling, Pain, and ultimately damage to the Joints. More importantly it also causes damage to the Micro Capillaries in your Eyes, and other Organs like your Kidneys, impairing their ability to Filter your Blood. While Home Remedies like Cherry Juice work, they only address the Signs and Symptoms, and not the underlying Metabolic Disorder. This is where Drugs like "Uloric" come in, they not only clear the Uric Acid from the Blood, but Inhibit the Production of Uric Acid in the first place. One of the many things that you can do to Minimize the effects of Gout is to avoid Foods that are high in something called Pureins, this is the Precursor to Uric Acid, and some Foods are higher than others. Foods like Organ Meats, excessive consumption of rich Meats like Prime Rib, and Concentrated Sauces and Gravies, and some Sea Foods like Oysters are very high in Puriens and should be avoided. Another Food to avoid is Alcohol, Beer especially. You can go online and find a list of Foods to avoid, or to minimize in your Diet. Hope this helps.

I am sorry if I misled anyone in that my diet caused not exacerbated. But, changing my diet was just the ticket. After you have an acute Gout episode, you are willing to do ANYTHING to prevent it from happening again. Heck, I would have considered giving up fishing if it would prevent another bout of it.

I take Allopurinol. This what https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-11202/zyloprim-oral/details says about it.

I guess I'm lucky in that I started taking the medicin early enough that I don't have Gout attacks. The only swelling u have are in both big toes. I hope that I can eventually get rid of my uric acid buildup. I have changed my diet over a year ago stoped eating rich foods (Tim Horton's doughnuts lol)

Latest posts

Back