Grafting Fruit Trees

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four of the five grafts I tried last year failed completely. One sid heal but didn't grow. Grafting too late in the season is probably a factor.

20240313_155832_HDR.jpg

The host crab apple tree is just starting to break bud so maybe better results this year. I tried a few techniques this time. Some chip budding.

20240313_155844_HDR.jpg

Two other methods were tried out.

20240313_155855_HDR.jpg

Hoping for better results this year.

Ben

If any portion shows sign of healing the graft should be alive once sap starts flowing.I wouldnt give up on them so fast just yet...especially if you see new cell structures in your cuts.

My experience..i failed grafting a bunch.I started getting grafts to take when skillcult mentioned what he sees people doing is not wrapping grafts tight enough. I started doing nothing but cleft grafts and using electrical tape and pulling it tight as i wrap and all of a sudden my successes outweighed by failures.Its the only type graft i had/have success with.

sidenote..i checked my apple seeds in refrigerator and i see several have sprouted now. i will have to start getting them in cell blocks or whatever real soon.....will start tomorrow.its going to take awhile i have so many to sort through as they sprout.

My Father said Only people who try fail, if you do nothing you will never fail or win.
Someone said I never fail, because I learn something with every failure, so it is a win.
I going to try Japanese persimmons graft on American persimmon trees this Fall.
I have the Japanese persimmons that is pointed like a strawberry.

If any portion shows sign of healing the graft should be alive once sap starts flowing.I wouldnt give up on them so fast just yet...especially if you see new cell structures in your cuts.

My experience..i failed grafting a bunch.I started getting grafts to take when skillcult mentioned what he sees people doing is not wrapping grafts tight enough. I started doing nothing but cleft grafts and using electrical tape and pulling it tight as i wrap and all of a sudden my successes outweighed by failures.Its the only type graft i had/have success with.
I did one cleft and the others were saddle.

Latest posts

Back