Grain mill

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best small electric mill is a wondermill. I love mine. It'll run with a battery and an inverter. I have two hand crank mills, can't remember the brand, but I never use them. They're a pain.
Thanks Amish, I have looked at one at the Amish store the other day but it was around $275.00 I believe, may have to go that route.
thanks again.

I just checked the wondermill price, and am shocked. I paid just under $200 just a couple of years ago. If you see one that the amish are using, then it's probably ok. A few of my cousins have gone gluten free for the heck of it, and they like it when I do rice flour for them. Otherwise, no one I know in our area uses one.

A suggestion, depending upon where you live and how active Craigslist is in your area. You can create an account and sign into Craigslist, and then sign up to watch for certain things, like grain mills. You can get notifications when things are posted that you are interested in. This was how I got my German electric grain mill for $24, when they could have asked for close to $400 for it. I've also gotten an old hand grain grinder that may be around 100 years old, from my Craigslist sign up for notification. I don't remember what I paid for it, but around $20. It is a hand crank. There are the corn grinders, but lots of work to hand crank. I have my grandfathers old meat grinder that he used when he was a butcher. There are many on Ebay. You can get them with various plates to attach, depending upon what you are grinding. There is a grain plate for some of these old meat grinders. I think it is lots of work with those as well, but if we have no power, something is better than nothing. And I seriously have a grinding set up that is two stones that at one time long ago were used for grinding grains that I got from a teacher store that had many things donated for teachers to buy for pennies on the dollar. Those two stones were donated by the Denver Art Museum and had been in one of their displays. If two is one and one is none, I'm covered a few times.

I have a Roots and Branches--got it on Amazon for about $70.00. They also have a model you can buy an electric motor for running it. I didn't get that one because I've got a grain mill attachment for my Kitchen Aid.

We have an old "Golden Grain Grinder", direct drive with a crank handle if necessary, we got it in about 1996, still works, saw on in the net for $729, out of stock 12 to 16 week wait time. I'm glad I'm not buying one now.

We only use ours about once a month, so it's not like it gets heavy use or anything... Then again grain without a grain grinder is not a good solution either....

Any of you have a suggestion on a good hand crank grain mill , brand , model , ect.
so many on the web but most seem to be China maid and they will get none of my money if I can help it.
I may even consider a small electric mill.
Another vote for Country Living. I have had mine for 25? years and I use it at least once a week. It is not cheap, but it is quality. I love it! DH motorized it and it is easily switched back to hand crank or used with a bicycle.

I have the country living mill, no complaints. I bought it as a prep item about 10/12 years ago, all the bells and whistles. I tested it then cleaned it carefully and stored it. I just checked current prices, basic units start at $500 and there was a wait list. I paid far less.

I wish I had done a search and found this thread and the others sooner. We use our kitchen Aid for grinding flour, coffee etc. We also use it for other things so it seemed like multiple a failure point. So for obvious reasons we wanted a hand mill.

We wanted a quality product so I don't think I even tried to sort through Amazon. I went to Lehmans. Having never purchased from them I made some assumptions. First that all of their stuff was quality and that it was U.S. or European made. Well now I think that wasn't true. I ordered this grain mill made exclusively for Lehmans. It was the least expensive of its type.
https://www.lehmans.com/product/green-power-grain-mill/
Here is a where we ran into problems. When it arrived some things we missing. The crank arm and handle, the wooden handle on top and apparently the pot scrubber that was in there also. So I called and explained the handle was missing. They were great and said they would try and get one sent out. When it arrived it was only the wooden handle. It seems I did not communicate that the entire crank assembly including the arm was missing.🙄 So here is where it starts falling apart. I called customer service again and they said oh we will have to work on that. The parts are hard to get from the manufacturer in China. Wait what? We decided at this point it was better to return it and they would send a new one. They emailed a label and will ship as soon as they get the tracking info for the return.

About this time I found this thread. I also did a search on Amazon. Darned if I didn't find almost an identical mill. It appears this is who makes Lehman's exclusive mill.
https://www.amazon.com/Mosakar-Hand...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1
However the reviews state parts are available. I am inclined to get my money back and get this one. I really like the Country Living mill but agree the price is kinda highway robbery. The plastic hopper at the bottom accessory is $50. Even American made plastic shouldn't cost $50 and it's $674 without it. Oh I almost forgot I have been watching the Goodwill site. Thanks for that.

I was on the County Living website and saw they have a layaway program. If you put $50 down you can make payments and they ship when it's paid for. I called to ask some questions. One of which did they have any blemished ones, since that was also on their website? I talked to Joel he was really helpful. As it turned out they did have one for $100 off. I told him I was going to start a layaway so he put my name on it. When I talked to my wife she said just buy it. We got it yesterday. I think we will like it.

By the way this is a really small business. They only have 2 to about 6 employees depending on how many they are making.

Latest posts

Back