Grasshopper battles

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican

Friend
Neighbor
My area has grasshopper plagues. Not just a few, but enough to strip a peach tree for instance, not a leaf left. Not every year, but it's gotten worse each year it seems. I still have grasshoppers around now (Jan 7th). I saw full-size grasshoppers a week after the deep freeze this past February. It's insane, you'd think this was Egypt when Moses was around! John the Baptist would gain weight just eating the grasshoppers year round by me. And no, I'm not looking to start an insect-diet (but they are part of the chicken-feed diet).

Locally I've found 2 methods that can control them. First, chemical wars. I'm not a fan of that. Second, what I call CMF. Chicken Mine Fields. A 20+ ft wide fenced area (inside and out) surrounding all 4 sides of the garden to allow chickens to catch any grasshoppers as they try to cross into the inner garden area. Also known as CFK (Chicken Fort Knox). Problem is that the fence needs to be tall, and for me strong enough to hold cattle out. So expensive. Was fine for a smaller garden, but trying to enlarge the garden is a real pain.

Any suggestions? Realistic ones, not digging a 50 ft moat & filling with water!

Latest posts

Back