Green House Attachment

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've been thinking about a GH that is on the south side of house and attached to the bedroom window.
We could use the heat from the house to heat it at night and the heat from the GH could help heat the house in the day.
This way we could grow food all year if we wanted or had to. I'd also like to use glass cubes but that is probably not going to happen due to expense.
Also we have to make sure it is is under a certain amount of money to build or the masters will consider it another room and up the taxes. Plus the insurance may not like it. But I'm still working on the idea.
I have some potato that I could put in today if I had heated area. Plus start back up hydroponic
s along with containers.

Last edited:
I could replace bedroom window with a door but I'd need to raise it a couple feet for floor to be off teh ground..

Something like this except no outside doors, only enter and exit from inside house.

Last edited:
The kiddo here has really gotten in to her plants this year and has a number of them on the window sill and bedroom floor next to her South facing window. I have considered removing her window and building a small triangle shaped greenhouse outside her window something like this so she can have more room inside her window area and get the plants off the floor.

windowgreenhouse.jpg

The kiddo here has really gotten in to her plants this year and has a number of them on the window sill and bedroom floor next to her South facing window. I have considered removing her window and building a small triangle shaped greenhouse outside her window something like this so she can have more room inside her window area and get the plants off the floor.

View attachment 9918
I think it is a good idea. Thar is like our window a few feet off the ground so would have to raise the floor. We have two large windows and one could be used for a door.

We had a lean to up against the house on the ground but it was hard to heat. So we used the big GH since we had to heat it anyway may as well go big, well wrong answer. First power bill knocks us off our feet! I bet Sparky had a big laugh off that one after he saw what I bought.:huh:

Here is the benefits ,

It is right at the house, no going outside turning fans off and on or openign and closing doors or plastic, or controlling the cold. Heat will be controlled from inside house.
Caring for the plants ,watering, feeding and cooling is all done from inside.
We are old and the less running around outside the better. especially when one or even both of us are down at same time. His back has him in bed or on walker and my knee or back has me down. Or whatever else nature has in store for us to throw a wrench into the work load.

I have heard a lot about this kind of system.
The ones I know are not as old as this one, but they worked well.

Latest posts

Back