GreenHouse Heating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
The biggest expense and problem of having a greenhouse is HEATING IT. I am definately goign to try this .

This seems like a very good idea although I'd read up on fire hazard since compost can catch on fire. But I don't really think it would be a fire hazard since it is only leaves and not alot of fast acting cation exchange or nitrogen heat up.

As the leaves break down they supply enough nitrogen needed to make the heat.
I would still put non flammable material in contact with the leaves.

I do not believe a compost pile will put off 94F for four months, but even if it dose, it will never replace a wood heater.
Rocket heat burns everything, no smoke & it will run off pencil size wood, you do not need logs that was in the video.
The North side of a green house should be cut into a sloping hill, for best heat control.
Leave compost can be put on the east & west sides.
One should have a fan to blow hot air into tunnels, 48 inches deep(less will dry out bed) under the floor of the greenhouse beds.
This will keep the bed from freezing all winter, most greenhouses over heat many days in winter.
This heat can be saved in a soil, instead of blowing it out into the cold to cool the greenhouse.

Also use plastic drums, black is best.

Here are 10 ways to heat a small green house, some I have used, some I would not use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbPFNty49k

Note: This is my opinion, I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I thinking this one may be the best bet for us. Not tearign down the GH to dig a pit to insert pipes so whatever it is it has to be above ground for me.

anybody like the "greenhouse in the snow"?

I've always thought it was a real cool concept.

Always amazed me how it can be so cold outside and so warm inside. :cool: Especially seeing how well veggies grow 2 feet from snow on the ground.:) :snowman:

GH is costing and plants are not producing because temp is too low.
So we have to do something soon. A warm spell this week so now is the time to find a solution.

Any ideas on where to find a couple 20 or 30 gal max metal drums ? I've been online looking for awhile now. 55 gal are too big for a 10X20 average 9 ftH. 701 sf.

Good ol YouTube may have the remedy. Don't get any DANGEROUS IDEAS before paying attention to this and being VERY careful if you try this.

Last edited:
I thinking this one may be the best bet for us. Not tearign down the GH to dig a pit to insert pipes so whatever it is it has to be above ground for me.

I agree, the pit has to come first, A friend had the double drum stove for many years in a 12 X 30 green house for his plants.
It worked great.

I agree, the pit has to come first, A friend had the double drum stove for many years in a 12 X 30 green house for his plants.
It worked great.

I can't find a drum that is fire proof. I find them but they don't give heat temp or they are $339!:eek: :dunno:

None are fire proof, you have to add sand to the bottom so the hot coals will not burn though.
It is a shame you do not live closer to South Carolina, I know where there are 4 metal drums now.

None are fire proof, you have to add sand to the bottom so the hot coals will not burn though.
It is a shame you do not live closer to South Carolina, I know where there are 4 metal drums now.

c8c8068f-7bc3-426e-9f5f-eb581699fdc6_1.29bb39d5e31c82eaf45d1d87517f58e9.jpeg

I just ordered a electric heater from Walmart. 7500 watt garage heaeter. 240 V. It was $249 total. I can return it to Walmart and it has store pickup. Estimated to pick up Dec.. 20th.

Thank you all for your help .

Latest posts

Back