Grills?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a portable grill for trip.
It uses small bottles but I have a hose so I can use the big bottles.
It's convenient. I grilled steaks last night on it and they were good.
At home I use a pellet grill. I love that for smoking and slow cooking things like baby back ribs, pork butt for pulled pork and brisket. Actually everything I have cooked on it has came out great.

I like the small, folding propane grills while traveling, since when you are done, you just pack it and go, unlike red hot coals you either have to wait to cool, or dump along the ground next to a trash can. They also can be tucked away on the boat and set up quick for hot dogs or burgers.
At home, I absolutely love my 6 burner propane grill. I've baked, seared, slow cooked and BBQ'ed all at the same time.

Propane Gas

Pros: Easy and fast to get cooking going. Controllable flame intensity/heat output gives good control over cooking speed, char vs internal cooking

Cons: No wood/smoke flavor

Charcoal Fire pit

Pros: Pretty fast to get cooking (<20 minutes) especially if you use a charcoal starter. Gives some smoke flavor to meat.

Cons: Less control over heat output - but height adjustable grills can provide good control.

Campfire with wood fuel

Pros: Least hardware needed and gives the most smoke flavor

Cons: Takes the longest to get going (>45 minutes) and need ground that can be scorched (mostly your own yard or location)

Below is a charcoal starter:

1711839200942.png

I do some of all three methods. Overall I like the balance of pros and cons with Charcoal fire pits......but I like frequent practice with campfires as a way of maintaining survivalism skills.

Another question?
My dad used a gas grill towards the end of his grilling life.
But I seem to remember him using a foil loaf pan with charcoal in placed between the first set of burners.
Between the second set of burners he had hickory in foil loaf pan, so he had the best of all worlds.
I asked my siblings if they remembered him doing this.
2 said they remember him doing that, the youngest sister said no, absolutely not.(there is always one to the contary).
So do you think this possible?

Another question?
My dad used a gas grill towards the end of his grilling life.
But I seem to remember him using a foil loaf pan with charcoal in placed between the first set of burners.
Between the second set of burners he had hickory in foil loaf pan, so he had the best of all worlds.
I asked my siblings if they remembered him doing this.
2 said they remember him doing that, the youngest sister said no, absolutely not.(there is always one to the contary).
So do you think this possible?
You are correct - adding wood chips in a propane grill is a thing.

For propane I had one of these:
1711848261426.png

Was great and lasted for few years. Would probably last a lifetime if properly stored. It's specifically designed for use on boats, but portable enough when removed from pole base and sits nicely on a table for safe grilling. Mine used lava rocks rather than simply grilling over a gas burner. Looks like one has a heat shield over the burner: Springfield Marine 1940052 Deluxe Barbeque Grill

Side note: Seems most propane grills now days don't use lava rocks - I wouldn't buy one that doesn't... those rocks add some flavor when impregnated with meat oils and fats.

Other than that, I'm a simple charcoal griller and have been for many years.

I have a Traeger pellet grill for steaks, pork tenderloins, and other foods that are expensive or that I don't want to accidentally burn. And for smoking meats. Next to the pellet grill is a Weber propane grill that I use for carbonizing most everything I put on it. I use this propane incinerator for things like hamburgers, sausage and other items that seem to enjoy being ignited, based on the frequency at which they manage to do this. I also have a charcoal grill still in the box after 25+ years. It's some kind of tall tube shaped thing that says it's a smoker and a grill. One of these days I might get around to opening it up and trying it.

I have a Traeger pellet grill for steaks, pork tenderloins, and other foods that are expensive or that I don't want to accidentally burn. And for smoking meats. Next to the pellet grill is a Weber propane grill that I use for carbonizing most everything I put on it. I use this propane incinerator for things like hamburgers, sausage and other items that seem to enjoy being ignited, based on the frequency at which they manage to do this. I also have a charcoal grill still in the box after 25+ years. It's some kind of tall tube shaped thing that says it's a smoker and a grill. One of these days I might get around to opening it up and trying it.
I bet your tall tube charcoal grill is a smoker/grill.
It's probably a Weber.
At one time about 20-25 years ago they were considered top of the line for smallish charcoal grill/smokers.
The one that just died can't get repair parts any longer was a Weber like your tall tube.
They kept the meat moist with a water pan.

What kind of grills do you have?
Gas?
Why?
Charcoal?
Why?
Both?
Combination grills?
Looking to replace mine.
Mine died a slow well used death.
I have one at my son's house.
It's been there several years.
It won't fit in my Fiat.
Like yours, ours has died a slow, well-used death. I have the same question as you do. There are just two of us now so we don't need the humongous grill that just died. We need a smaller one but still with some of the same features as the large one.

I will be watching this thread with interest.

Last edited:
I don't have a grill and haven't had one for a few years. I have had a charcoal, gas, and an electric. My absolute favorite was my electric for ease. Plug it in and cook. Let it heat and burn off the leftover bits. It quit working.

I look at them periodically, but have just never gotten another. My daughter and b.f. had a green egg. That was a great thing for grilling.

Grills can be really expensive! I know someone who got a great propane grill for free off of Craigslist. I have thought that a propane grill is probably the best thing to have in a SHTF situation, especially if you have one with a burner on the side.

Grills can be really expensive! I know someone who got a great propane grill for free off of Craigslist.
They are easy to rebuild. People throw them away or give them away prematurely. A new grill (of any decent size and quality) is going to run several hundred dollars, if not over a thousand.

I took my severely decrepit Weber (which was a high end model) and replaced the innards. New burners. New grates. New "flavorizer bars" (as Weber calls them). New piezo igniter. New drip catcher. New control knobs. This was about $125 to $150 worth of parts IIRC. Not the official Weber parts - those would have cost a lot more. I used the Chinese knock-off parts from Amazon. They have been working great. I have zero qualms about having bought the non-name-brand stuff. I did not replace the regulator and hose that screws into the propane tank. The hose is still flexible on mine, it doesn't have any leaks, no cracks in the hose - I saw no reason to replace it. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it just because of age, so I still might. Nor did I replace the valves that the control handles turn. Those appear to be brass on my grill, and were in fine shape after decades of use. No need to replace them either.

The 20lb propane tank that came with the grill was past it's retirement date, so technically, places should have refused to fill it. But I've never found a place that actually cares about the date. But still, I took it over to the grocery store where they sell "Blue Rhino" brand filled 20lb propane tanks. You give them your empty tank and take their filled one (or you pay them a lot more if you don't have an empty tank to trade). So ... you can guess where my old expired tank went. And I walked away with a new tank. Now I take the new tank to a regular propane refill place and they fill it for much cheaper than doing exchanges at the grocery store. The grocery store deal was a one-off occurrence so I could get a new tank. Hey, ... they don't have any rules posted about trading expired tanks, so why not?

After I had all the new parts installed in my grill I did a test run with it. I cranked up all three burners to high and let it heat up. I checked the temp with my infrared thermometer and it was 670 degrees IIRC! Holy crap! It might have gotten even hotter if I left it heating longer, but I shut down my test at that point. This temp might explain my tendency to incinerate things I'm cooking, but nowadays I only turn on two of the three burners, and after the initial preheat, turn those down to 1/2 for the actual cooking. Compare this to my pellet grill, which usually maxes out at 425. I have seen it hit 450 once or twice. And sometimes it struggles to hold 400 - that's usually when I haven't cleaned the pellet hopper for a while and it has sawdust from disintegrated pellets kind of clogging up the works. But this lower temp combined with the solid steel plate that goes between the fire and the food grates means no flames every touch the food. Things just don't burn in that Traeger. And even if you overcook them, they're still moist. It's slower than propane, but you never burn your food, even if you're not paying attention.

For you BBQ affectionados.

Be aware that Blue Rhino propane and other pre-filled replacement tanks are only filled with 4 gallons of propane, and not the 5 gallons the tank will hold. This is due to shipping and expansion/contraction of the gas. I run down to my local RV repair facility and fill up my tanks, which runs me about $16 per tank.

I have a propane Weber and a charcoal Weber kettle. I also a propane smoker and an old school wood fed cowboy grill. They all get used depending on what I want to do and what I am cooking.

A few months ago we got a big fancy pellet grill. We are on the fence about it. We. Mostly don't care for how it cooks a steak. It doesn't give it the char like charcoal does when doing a 7 or 8 minute steak. It is good for slow cooking or not burning chicken. We do have a baby Weber we use for that. It is only about 2 ft tall.

I think if I had to do it again I would get a combo grill.

I have a small one like Camper posted for road trip grilling, I much preffer to cook my steak on a griddle or skillet to keep the juice in.

Back