Grocery Essentials That Will Become Priceless

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think the headline is a little panicky to be honest. Everything they list is convenience foods really except for sugar and cocoa.
People can just make their own pancakes or waffles, cool them then freeze them on a cookie sheet. When frozen place between pieces of wax paper and stick them in the freezer to reheat.
OR they could get their butts up in the morning and make their child a breakfast like I did.

https://daily.whatfinger.com/15-grocery-essentials-that-will-become-priceless-in-the-months-ahead/

15 Grocery Essentials That Will Become Priceless In The Months Ahead​

Major changes are already taking place at US grocery stores, and during the fall and winter, many grocery essentials will become priceless as demand soars but supplies don’t keep pace. We haven’t seen the worst of food inflation, and big companies like Oreo maker Mondelez are still announcing price increases for the second half of 2023. Lots of popular products such as frozen pizzas, waffles, and snack cakes are about to see some steep price increases that will certainly shock American shoppers in the next few months. Prepare to pay more for pepperoni, jerky, bacon, ham, sausages, and other packaged meats in the next few quarters.

Whenever you find deals at stores, buy some of your favorite packaged meats and a few extra to save throughout the next seasons. The price of popular and handy breakfast meals is about to go through some seasonal changes. With kids going back to school, and temperatures going down in the months ahead, demand for frozen breakfast foods is expected to rise by 16.43 percent, according to estimates released by the top grocer in the US, Walmart.

Even though Americans continue buying considerable amounts of chocolate each month, slower production and elevated costs for sugar are leading to a decline in supplies, which is quite worrying considering that Halloween is right ahead, and many holiday season recipes require chocolate. CNBC reports that in June, chocolate prices rose by 14 percent. With the cost of cocoa soaring in the global market right now, we should brace for some serious sticker shock in the next few months.

You can watch the video, but its just word for word (in that annoying voice) that is written in the article.
Just another article that shows how you should be stocking up on foods and products you use.
I've already been stocking up on sausage, chipped beef and freezing it along with bacon when its on a BOGO.

Looks like I should be grabbing more sugar and cocoa for my baking.

Convenience foods are something I don't buy. I find component shopping much easier. My pantry looks quite small compared to all the prepper pantries online, but I would wager that I could produce way more meals, lb for lb.

I don't care about food fatigue either. Picky eaters won't make it in my house. I have lots of staples and the glues that hold them together.

Example: I don't care for scrambled eggs but they are the only thing other than a soufflé (omlets are scrambled eggs too) that can be made with powdered eggs. Guess what I'll be eating, and happy about it.

Last edited:
It looks like click bait to me. I didn't watch the video.....was just looking for a list that I didn't find.

Like Clem, I try to stock the basics. I have a flat of coco powder and stacks of coffee b/c those are things I consistently use that are imported. I also have totes of sugar, salt, and spices b/c they won't go bad and are the 'glue', as Clem stated, that are the base for many recipes. I add things as they go on sale. As with everything, if it's something with a long shelf life, I stock it. If not, then I probably have it in smaller quantities.

I don't think stuff will suddenly disappear, but I do think everything is going to get a lot more expensive moving forward, especially imported products.

They are using inflation to get people to switch to bugs and vat food. The most expensive/inflated foods are the unprocessed staples.

I am at the point of just replacing what we use and doing that, is getting crazy. Upwards of $9.00 for a lb of hamburger at the store.

We need to buy another beef for the freezers sooner rather than later due to drought and dictatorial idiocy. To save 50% of the cost, we will have to break it down ourselves. I am getting too old for this crap.

I am also getting too lazy for my skill set. At least I am old enough to be able to stock for my end times.

I don't go to the grocery stores much, but I have noticed that they have become dead spaces; even on a Saturday, no one is in them.

Last edited:
It looks like click bait to me. I didn't watch the video.....was just looking for a list that I didn't find.
I agree. Panic sells. :thumbs:
...Looks like I should be grabbing more sugar and cocoa for my baking.
I can disagree on the 'great sugar shortage' with first-hand info.
Take it off your list.
We grow a massive abundance of sugarcane down here and last year's harvest was historic.:D
This year's crop is already 6' tall as far as the eye can see in every direction.
And harvest doesn't even start until late November:oops:.

Price is a completely different game.
We live in a free-market economy and must bid against other countries to keep producers from exporting it.
Fortunately tariffs help keep them from shipping it all away:):
The refined sugar portion of the export limit remains unchanged at 266,220 tons. The USDA's Foreign Agricultural Service announced in the July 11 Federal Register an increase of 90,718 tonnes, raw value, (about 100,000 short tons) in the 2021-22 tariff-rate quota for raw cane sugar

Last edited:
buy some of your favorite packaged meats and a few extra to save throughout the next seasons
Well, I won't save much by doing that. Nor will I spend much either. "Favorite" and "packaged meats" do not go together well in the same sentence. About the only packaged meat I buy more than once per six months is Andouille sausage, which I like to cook on the grill. That, and also tuna-in-water in a pouch or can (is that considered "packaged meat"?) I will buy other packaged meats on rare occasions, emphasis on "rare". I would not call any of it a "favorite" though.

Essentials?
1. Snack cakes?
2. Cookies and crackers? I've seen a shortage of saltine crackers for a few years. But I wouldn't consider them essentials.
3. Packaged meats? Not essential, but some are good to have for Bug out Bags.
4. Packaged Mac and Cheese?
5. Apple sauce? There is often someone who has apples that they do not want to use. If you can, you can make your own. Even if you don't can, you can make it and freeze it. I don't remember the last time I had any.
6. Frozen waffles and pancakes? Wow, so expensive already. Yes, we can make our own and put them in the freezer to use at a later time.
7. Grapes--never been much of a grape eater, or after liquidified, grape juice drinker.
8. Ramen noodles--I don't remember the last time I had them. I do believe they are a good price and make for a good preparedness food, it's just lost its appeal to me.
9. Pickles? Clausen pickles have been a problem to find since the pandemic, but research says it is because of a jar shortage.
10. Nuts and trail mixes? I do keep some in my freezer.
11. Canned meats--tuna, salmon, chicken and turkey. How many of you already are stocking up on them?
12. Chocolate--cocoa and sugar. Both of these are good preparedness
13. Breakfast sandwiches? Maybe better than boxed cereal, but not something I have ever purchased. I
14. Rice--I've been seeing that there is a rice shortage and have noticed that the prices are up from previous years.
15. Frozen pizza? I know that this was something I watched during the pandemic and that the freezer cases at the stores were often empty. I always thought this was because it was one of the things that people who don't normally cook, but eat out, would cook.

14. Rice--I've been seeing that there is a rice shortage and have noticed that the prices are up from previous years.
You can take rice off of your shortage list too, we Cajuns got you covered :thumbs::
https://www.usarice.com/thinkrice/discover-us-rice/where-rice-grows/state/louisiana
Louisiana is the 2nd largest rice-producing state in the U.S. ...

Economy​

Rice is one of the state’s top agricultural exports. In 2019, more than 425,000 acres of rice were planted on 823 farms. Rice production and processing both play important roles in the state, generating annual economic activity of almost $308 million and accounting for thousands of jobs.
So much is produced that we ship much overseas. No shortage possible.
...As I stated earlier, price is a different game.
I bet you never woulda thought Arkansas would be far in the lead at #1, huh?:oops:
Screenshot_20230708-170420.png

Last edited:
People actually buy and eat "Eggos" ? Guess they never had biscuits and gravy :p
Generally, we buy a box of them at Costco, put them in the freezer in the basement, then throw them out a few months later when we find them all frosted over because we forgot they were down there. Then we buy them again on the next trip to Costco and repeat the process.

Generally, we buy a box of them at Costco, put them in the freezer in the basement, then throw them out a few months later when we find them all frosted over because we forgot they were down there. Then we buy them again on the next trip to Costco and repeat the process.
Been there, done that, then I quit buying them. :). 3 eggs and some toast will do me just fine if I want something quick.

I like making my own waffles in the waffle maker. That's so easy. Cleaning the waffle maker afterwards is the annoying part.
I concur. We donated our waffle maker, pancakes are almost as good, and the griddle is way easier to clean :)

Or do the eggs and bread together and make a french toast. We eat a good amount of that.
I have done this, but not often. Since I grew up with deep fried French toast, and most of my home county made it that way, it is really the best way to have it, IMHO. It is crispy. But I am not much into deep frying, so this goodness just doesn't happen frequently for me.

3 eggs and some toast will do me just fine if I want something quick.
I concur. Way better than cereal from a box. I do like biscuits and gravy as an alternative.

I also like breakfast burritos.

Generally, we buy a box of them [eggos] at Costco, put them in the freezer in the basement, then throw them out a few months later when we find them all frosted over because we forgot they were down there. Then we buy them again on the next trip to Costco and repeat the process.
Dammit!!:mad:
I guess that means I need to toss the ones that I have in the freezer that are over a year old. gaah

Essentials?
1. Snack cakes?
2. Cookies and crackers? I've seen a shortage of saltine crackers for a few years. But I wouldn't consider them essentials.
3. Packaged meats? Not essential, but some are good to have for Bug out Bags.
4. Packaged Mac and Cheese?
5. Apple sauce? There is often someone who has apples that they do not want to use. If you can, you can make your own. Even if you don't can, you can make it and freeze it. I don't remember the last time I had any.
6. Frozen waffles and pancakes? Wow, so expensive already. Yes, we can make our own and put them in the freezer to use at a later time.
7. Grapes--never been much of a grape eater, or after liquidified, grape juice drinker.
8. Ramen noodles--I don't remember the last time I had them. I do believe they are a good price and make for a good preparedness food, it's just lost its appeal to me.
9. Pickles? Clausen pickles have been a problem to find since the pandemic, but research says it is because of a jar shortage.
10. Nuts and trail mixes? I do keep some in my freezer.
11. Canned meats--tuna, salmon, chicken and turkey. How many of you already are stocking up on them?
12. Chocolate--cocoa and sugar. Both of these are good preparedness
13. Breakfast sandwiches? Maybe better than boxed cereal, but not something I have ever purchased. I
15. Frozen pizza? I know that this was something I watched during the pandemic and that the freezer cases at the stores were often empty. I always thought this was because it was one of the things that people who don't normally cook, but eat out, would cook.
I'm not sure exactly where that list came from, but it has to be bogus. Coffee didn't make the list? I call shenanigans!

Most of that stuff isn't anything we'd eat - all processed stuff. "Packaged meat" means "jerky I made that I sealed up to enjoy later" and it goes in get-home/bug-out bags. Canned meats makes sense to have on hand. Canning your own meat - hamburger, chicken, whatever - is pretty easy to do and costs less than the commercial stuff. There's nothing wrong with having a good store of rice on hand, too.

Pretty much everything else on that list wouldn't make it on my list. :)

I'm not sure exactly where that list came from, but it has to be bogus. Coffee didn't make the list? I call shenanigans!

Most of that stuff isn't anything we'd eat - all processed stuff. "Packaged meat" means "jerky I made that I sealed up to enjoy later" and it goes in get-home/bug-out bags. Canned meats makes sense to have on hand. Canning your own meat - hamburger, chicken, whatever - is pretty easy to do and costs less than the commercial stuff. There's nothing wrong with having a good store of rice on hand, too.

Pretty much everything else on that list wouldn't make it on my list. :)
Yes, the list is nuts, but maybe that is how some people eat? If you walk up and down grocery store aisles, there is so much garbage food out there. I know that schools serve lots of crap food for school breakfasts and lunches. On the rare occasion when I needed to buy lunch, it was known for me to take one bite and throw the rest away. I really worked soups and salads. I made soups and froze them in serving sized containers for an easy grab and go lunch, but also often kept fresh salad makings in my small fridge in my classroom.

Latest posts

Back