Grocery List?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave V

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We’ve done this multiple times in various forms over the last few years…a little “what if” exercise.

You’re visiting an out-of-town friend, so you’re far away from home and/or your bug out location. You flew here without even a carry-on bag, so you just have whatever you would normally have in your pockets. (that would have made it through airport security!)

It’s a quarter until 11 PM but your flight isn’t until half past midnight so after your farewells, you had your UBER stop at a grocery store (that’s still opened) on the outskirts of town a couple miles from the airport so you could get some real food instead of eating from the airport vending machines. Your driver says he’ll “just chill” while you dash into the grocery.

The store only has about a dozen customers, maybe a half dozen employees, and a security guard at the entrance. Suddenly the store goes PITCH black. Lighters blink on and a few seconds later, most of their emergency lights actually come on. The mall cop yells into the store that the city is completely black. He tells the apprehensive customers that have gathered around that he "has a buddy in the NSA that told him a week ago that this might happen sometime in the next few weeks.” “We’ve been hit by an *EMP! He explains that there might not be electricity for quite a while and that we needed to get our families somewhere safe as soon as possible because the EMP might be followed with a nuke…probably not here, but close enough that there could be considerable fallout which he said we would absolutely not want to have drop on us.
The store manager was amazingly calm…he said: “Look folks, I need to roll the armor down on my windows and doors pronto, but I’ll tell you what, you’re here now, so grab one or a couple of these baskets, or even a cart, and you’ve got 10 minutes to fill up with anything (except cash) that you can carry out of here…free of charge! Remember me in case you ever see me again, be kind to one another, good luck, and God bless!
Employees, you can do the same as soon as you help me get these security shutters down
!”

*A severe electromagnetic pulse (EMP) event could take the power grid down for months, and possibly even for years. An EMP is a very intense pulse of electromagnetic energy, typically caused by the detonation of a nuclear bomb or other high-energy explosive device.
The threat of an EMP event and its potential impact on millions of people is highly probable and currently unmanageable. This reality is amplified, given the level of dependency of the world population on the uninterrupted flow of electrical power.
Some experts have suggested that a major EMP could result in the death of up to 90% of the U.S. population. A major EMP event would be devastating for the United States and the planet. Without electricity, much of life as we know it would cease in short order.
For example, oil refineries would be offline, resulting in fuel shortages and problems powering backup generators that maintain operations at hospitals, telecommunications earth stations, global positioning satellites (GPS) and cell towers. Sewer and water systems would also go offline, resulting in mass panic and severely challenging the food supply as well as police, fire and emergency services.

Last edited:
So you’re off down the aisles! There’s enough light to see.
● What do you grab from this standard type grocery store (no pharmacy) in about 10 minutes that’s going to help you survive your first week before you try to make it across multiple states to get home?
● Do you go back into the likely chaos of the city, or look for a nearby building to barricade yourself, or take your chances headed away from town?
● List your goodies!
● You may have different short and long term plans?
P.S.
No fair hiding in the bathroom of this armored and fully stocked grocery store!
EDIT....Cars are unlikely to run, no HVAC, no Uber...probably mass panic as people realize they have no food.
As stated, this is a STANDARD GROCERY with no pharmacy. (NOT a Wal-Mart!) Maybe there's one down the road?!

Last edited:
Okay, I'm a little lost, am I way from home or returning home? If I am away from home I'm going to need to think heavy... what's the uber driving? I not going to get far if it's a "SMART FOR 2"

Assuming that I'm away from home and the driver has a mini-van....
First stop, grab a cart, flashlight and batteries, turn on the flashlight, next line the bottom of the cart with water, a flat of pork-n-beans, on top of that as much canned meat (any kind) as I can get, some cutlery (If I got off a plane I know I don't have a knife!), a couple bags of rice and beans, a flat of cream-of's soups, Chunky soups or beef stew, a few boxes of instant oat meal, some plastic plates and bowls, a couple of metal bowls if they have them. Do they have charcoal brick-etts 2bags and another cart, some matches or lighters, some lighter fluid, a little picknic grill if they have them...

Is there a clothing rack? if So I'm getting an all weather jacket, a heavy long sleeved shirt, and some jeans....

When I get back to the uber, I'm taking the carts too...

That's a lot of the reason I don't fly anymore. The rest is I hate AIrports/people/crowds, and I get migraines when the cabin pressure change. If I drive, there is a BUNCH of stuff in the car.

All I can think of is I've no weapon/ knife and that store doesn't stock them...
So I'm pretty small, and couldn't carry really heavy stuff. On the good side I know I can survive on little. I'm presuming the cab is long gone, and I'm on my own.
Hopefully I am wearing a coat with pockets, into which I will stuff light and small things like a local map / oat bars, / cup of soups/ antiseptic/ first aid kit stuff/ painkillers/ lighters and cigarettes. I don't smoke anymore but I can trade them and if things really go to pot I'll have a last one!
If I'm really lucky the shop will have rucksack/ bag that will go on my back, (so I can keep my hands free) and something to boil water in. Into the bag will go the heavier stuff, peanut butter, torch/ candles dried fruit/ tinned bean/ a roll of bin bags to keep me dry / paracord and pepper spray.

Who am I kidding. The first thing I'd grab is coffee.

Excellent thread, Dave. Really makes you think. My first thought was "Picnic". What would we need if we were going to have a picnic? You would need all of the dishes, utensils, a pot and pan, food, drinks, paper products, in this case large, contractor trash bags, cordage, maybe a way to cook as Urban Hunter mentioned.

I agree with Pearl. I would probably focus on food that was ready to eat. Not food that was ready to cook. In addition to what has already been mentioned in canned goods, I would include a couple of large jars of peanut butter, jelly, and boxes of saltine crackers. Honey. Large amounts of dry goods like rice and beans and pasta. Cans of tuna fish. Bullion cubes, Probably a couple of large cans of Gatorade. Water and containers to hold more.

From the hardware section I would look for some hand tools and knives. A can opener. Not likely a grocery store would have a Silcock key, but one would be nice. Lighters, matches, lighter fluid. Flashlights, batteries.

Personal hygiene? Did we have any luggage? Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, feminine products, toilet paper, Kleenex, comb and brush. sunscreen, bug spray. Vaseline. Deodorant may be a mute point, but if your grabbing and it is free WTH.

If there is clothing I would definitely want a couple of layers. Maybe sweatshirts or hoodies, long sleeve shirts. Hats, scarves, gloves, maybe even shoes if what you have are not appropriate for walking.

Is going back to the place you started, where the Uber picked you up an option? How far is that?

In fairness, I have though about this a lot. Having been a road warrior and often being a thousand plus miles from home, I always knew where the closest Super Wal Mart was. If something like this happened that is where I would go. In addition to the supplies mentioned I would get camping/hunting gear and a bicycle.

So I'm pretty small, and couldn't carry really heavy stuff.

I thought part of the premise was you were allowed to take the shopping cart? That was my plan. ;)

I thought part of the premise was you were allowed to take the shopping cart? That was my plan. ;)
Well if you're pushing the cart I might as well get a lift...! :)

I'd be aiming to get home; pushing a cart would only slow me down.

In fairness, I have though about this a lot. Having been a road warrior and often being a thousand plus miles from home, I always knew where the closest Super Wal Mart was. If something like this happened that is where I would go. In addition to the supplies mentioned I would get camping/hunting gear and a bicycle.
Damn. Your grocery stores stock way different stuff than ours!

When I used to travel a lot I always carried a small water filtration kit and a backpack, but I always tried to plan for a walmart stop to get a cart of hotel food, fruit, and soda on my arrival... The idea of having to get by with what you can carry is really scary, if you are in a hotel room it gets complicated fast. Microwaves don't work after an EMP takes down the grid... Same with the in-room coffee pot...

Well if you're pushing the cart I might as well get a lift...! :)

I'd be aiming to get home; pushing a cart would only slow me down.
Again from the original thread: You’re visiting an out-of-town friend, so you’re far away from home and/or your bug out location.

I'm not disagreeing with you. You are absolutely correct in that you want to get home, and walking is probably the only option. If you are a long way from home you are going to need some help along the way.

I believe you are also correct in that our grocery stores carry considerably more than yours do. They have evolved over the course of many years into one-stop shopping Almost all of them, at least the larger ones, will include a bakery, delicatessen, and pharmacy along with everything else you would expect in a grocery store.

Ready to eat food, beans would be good and canned corn to go with it. Another can opener, I have on in my carry on bag. Three tarps about 10’ to 12’ square. I’m taking these to make a shelter. I’ll lay the tarp down, roll the cart over it, pull the tarp over the cart to form my shelter. This protects me and my supplies. I’m already slow so the cart can provide shelter and a way to move supplies. Kitchen knives, cheap fry pan, sauce pan, and coffee pot. Coffee, water, 9 gallons. Space blankets, rope, fire starters, pocket knife, basic tools, hatchet, file. Treats, candy, protein bars, jerky, pepper sticks. Two rain coats this could be as simple as a wind breaker, a warm layer like jackets or sweat shirts.

I’d offer the security guard $2000 for his sidearm with all the ammo and magazines he had on him. I remind him that cash was king, he couldn’t get his money from the bank, and he had another gun at home.

When I got outside I’d get outside I’d grab my bag from the Uber. If the driver was still there I’d off him 1/3 of the supplies and tell him to grab another cart. I’d tell him to bring his gun and anything else that he had that might be useful. I’d consult with him on my options and directions. If we were headed in the same direction I’d suggest that there were safety in numbers.

Cheese (real cheese, not cheese product). Canned beans. Diced tomatoes (canned). Tomato sauce. Bandages. Water. Canned soup. Chocolate. Candles. Matches . Cooking pan. Spoons. Cups and bowls. Can opener. Powdered milk. Cereal.

Hopefully I am wearing clothes that can keep me warm.

Good thread.
Load a cart with water, canned beans, 2 large jars of peanut butter, honey, canned meat, or pouches like tuna comes in, tarp and the best knife they have, cook pot or skillet, hard cheese, hard candies, candles, matches, lighters, rope, Hopefully paracord.. I'm sure I'm missing stuff. Bags of some type

Water and a bunch of the jerky type meat. portable and keeps and has some nutrition.
A shopping cart full of coffee pots and canned food just makes you a target.
Then run for your friends house if they are set up at all.
Since you flew to this location that means you came 200 to 2000 miles or more so walking home in a grid down situation is chancy at best and more likely wasted loss of life.
Better to find a homestead or people outside of the city you are in and impress them with your gardening, medical, defense skills so they take you in.....
Another reason I am staying close to home for the next year or so....

Expensive meats, Salami, Pepperoni,, Jerky. Coffee. Tea. Soda. Things I'd go to the store for usually, as if this is it, I'll miss such things.

I'd also laugh maniacally, because we have tons of hidden nuclear capable submarines that can retaliate on our behalf properly, and can reset the offenders topography back to factory default settings rather quickly. Even if America was wiped off the face of the earth, we can stiill make sure that if we can't play with the big blue ball, neither can anyone else.

First things first..i am heading home period !

I am in a walmart...sooo

Straight to sporting goods..backpack and stuff water-bottles in side pockets,a SAK,Water filter and cook set,poncho, pocket rocket stove with two fuel cans and compass swing through store and get polar fleece blanket and jacket if available.

Then through toys section and pick up mtn bike and then on to food section.Food section grab whatever i can stuff in pack mainly bags of gorp,instant potatoes and ramen and foil packets of chicken and tuna.Down water isle and pop gallon jugs open and rinse and fill water bottles in pack,hang a couple extra gallons of water on handle bars.Grab drink mix packs like gatorade,thirst aid etc. if not there grab a tang and salt shaker to make my own .tang masks bad tasting water.

I am on a hiking trip and only thing is to get home basically.Ride bike to get out of city and if you see a place to get a map do it.Get far away as possible as fast as possible..bike is best option..i can live with less than i picked. i need water and salt/sugar so dont get cramps...gorp to fuel me easiest!

only hot meal is to try and make a ramen bomb to go to sleep with full stomach...but to be honest..i probably just walk till tired..nap..get up and go..over and over and over till i got home..walking around the clock a few miles at a time..i am slow guy..but i keep ticking slow and steady.

(Off topic... Sorta)

I experienced the desperate hopeless feeling when I would check into a hotel for a week of work then look out the window at houses and buildings as far as the eye could see.

Ben

Pray you didn't fly into Hong Kong, ain't walking home from that one.... I like the Bike & a pack idea (assuming you are in a w-mart type store). If I traveled by Air I would most likely be looking at between 500 and 1500 miles, so a couple of weeks is reasonable on a bicycle...

Ready to eat food, beans would be good and canned corn to go with it. Another can opener, I have on in my carry on bag. Three tarps about 10’ to 12’ square. I’m taking these to make a shelter. I’ll lay the tarp down, roll the cart over it, pull the tarp over the cart to form my shelter. This protects me and my supplies. I’m already slow so the cart can provide shelter and a way to move supplies. Kitchen knives, cheap fry pan, sauce pan, and coffee pot. Coffee, water, 9 gallons. Space blankets, rope, fire starters, pocket knife, basic tools, hatchet, file. Treats, candy, protein bars, jerky, pepper sticks. Two rain coats this could be as simple as a wind breaker, a warm layer like jackets or sweat shirts.

I’d offer the security guard $2000 for his sidearm with all the ammo and magazines he had on him. I remind him that cash was king, he couldn’t get his money from the bank, and he had another gun at home.

When I got outside I’d get outside I’d grab my bag from the Uber. If the driver was still there I’d off him 1/3 of the supplies and tell him to grab another cart. I’d tell him to bring his gun and anything else that he had that might be useful. I’d consult with him on my options and directions. If we were headed in the same direction I’d suggest that there were safety in numbers.
Caribou,
I'm with you on this scenario! We're stronger together. I'd go further with the team aspect and see if anyone of the 12 customers or employees lived close by and also see if any were packing a pistol right now?! If someone lived close and were willing, we could "group shop" with multiple carts and maybe get enough to make a stand in their residence until there was less chance of encountering fallout and/or roving bands of hungry people. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that grocery store during the phase of food desperation, but in a couple weeks, maybe we could go back and see if the armor held and if so, take our time with tools to get back in. It might be a good starting point. Maybe later, look for that Wal-Mart and get the backpack, bike, and weapons if they were still there?

First things first..i am heading home period !

I am in a walmart...sooo

Straight to sporting goods..backpack and stuff water-bottles in side pockets,a SAK,Water filter and cook set,poncho, pocket rocket stove with two fuel cans and compass swing through store and get polar fleece blanket and jacket if available.

Then through toys section and pick up mtn bike and then on to food section.Food section grab whatever i can stuff in pack mainly bags of gorp,instant potatoes and ramen and foil packets of chicken and tuna.Down water isle and pop gallon jugs open and rinse and fill water bottles in pack,hang a couple extra gallons of water on handle bars.Grab drink mix packs like gatorade,thirst aid etc. if not there grab a tang and salt shaker to make my own .tang masks bad tasting water.

I am on a hiking trip and only thing is to get home basically.Ride bike to get out of city and if you see a place to get a map do it.Get far away as possible as fast as possible..bike is best option..i can live with less than i picked. i need water and salt/sugar so dont get cramps...gorp to fuel me easiest!

only hot meal is to try and make a ramen bomb to go to sleep with full stomach...but to be honest..i probably just walk till tired..nap..get up and go..over and over and over till i got home..walking around the clock a few miles at a time..i am slow guy..but i keep ticking slow and steady.
Are you wearing pajamas???

Are you wearing pajamas???
did you slip and hit your head on the pool rim?....roflmao......shorts,two shirts and sweat headband !

elk dont wear them things...i put a jock strap on and sweatband and pedal home first...guarantee getting home untouched...people run the other way upon seeing that for sure...bike have to have streamers and thumb bell...ringggg ringgggg!

cans weigh heavy so the quantity will be limited, would need some water too. better off with some bread rolls and some cooked meat, maybe some trail mix bars, less weight.
how much cash is one carrying? how far will the cab driver take me on the cash I have on me? get out of town as far as possible.
any of those electric bikes they have in cities these days? that could also get one out of the city.
once the population of that place realise something has happened riots and looting will start get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.
our grocery stores over here only store food, no sporting or toy departments, just food and a few medicines.

Last edited:
Back