Growing Asparagus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with raising asparagus? I have tried to grow it, but with no luck yet.

I found this article about raising asparagus from seed and wanted to share it. I think I am going to try to raise asparagus, again! http://thehopefulhome.blogspot.com/2014/04/growing-asparagus-from-seed.html

Growing Asparagus from Seed
If you have ever taken a look at prices for asparagus crowns, you've probably noticed that they don't come cheap. The Jersey Giant variety that I priced this winter ran nearly $33, plus shipping, for 25 crowns. The seed, just over $4 for 20.

As my list for all the basic and new varieties of vegetables that I wanted to try grew, along with the price tag, those asparagus crowns were looking more and more like a luxury! So, given the huge price difference, I thought, why not give the seed a try? I'm always game for trying something new, and I thought ya all might want to join me on my adventure. So, here goes!

Here's what my first couple of months Growing Asparagus from Seed looked like.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BkuyEsUi1...E/s1600/watermarked-Sheep+Spring+Lamb+021.jpg
At the end of January, I collected several saved 2-piece plastic containers from our local bakery.

Lined up peat pots inside. (Seven per box ended up working best.)

Filled each pot with sterile soil.

Planted one seed per pot and covered with about 1/4 in. of soil.

Dampened soil with a mister, put the lid in place, and set the containers on top of the fridge.

I kept the soil damp and here's what my baby asparagus looked like 29 days later.

And, these gangly things are 72 days old and have been treated to liquid fertilizer.

This deep dug, amended bed was prepared 2-3 weeks before transplanting.
The two trenches are about 15 inches apart.

Once the weather warmed, about the middle of April, I dug down even further, added fertilizer, and set the pots about 10-12 inches apart.

We found amending and mixing soil in this cart a big help and we were able to store the extra soil out of the way until needed at the time of transplant.

Once the my miniature asparagus were in place, I carefully filled in around each plant, coming up the stem a ways. They were fine and fragile, so this took some doing and was probably the hardest part of the process.

As the plants grow, I will continue to add more soil. For now, I'll keep the bed watered and maintained.
My seed catalog says to expect a moderate harvest at 2-3 years, but I'll need to add another year for plants begun from seed.

With time and a little effort, this bed should provide us many years of early spring veggies.

Why not find a little spot and try it for yourself?

I planted mine from crowns well over 10 ( at least) years ago. They were 3 year crowns and stll took over 3 years to produce. Asparagus does better in a lighter soiland mine is clay. Ferns love calcium, put your egg shells around them and dig them in frequently long with whatever other fertizer you use. I LOVE asparagus any way it comes, so those first sprouts of spring rarely make it to the house. Towards the end of your growing season, start leaving a sprout or 2 to make the ferns which feed the crowns for future years. They don't need much attention other than watering and feeding.

I planted mine from crowns well over 10 ( at least) years ago. They were 3 year crowns and stll took over 3 years to produce. Asparagus does better in a lighter soiland mine is clay. Ferns love calcium, put your egg shells around them and dig them in frequently long with whatever other fertizer you use. I LOVE asparagus any way it comes, so those first sprouts of spring rarely make it to the house. Towards the end of your growing season, start leaving a sprout or 2 to make the ferns which feed the crowns for future years. They don't need much attention other than watering and feeding.
We have heavy clay soil here, and that is probably why I have never had much luck. I save all of my egg shells, let them dry, and grind them up in a coffee grinder. I think an asparagus plot will get all of my egg shells, along with lots of compost.

It grows wild here, even in my yard. In the summer I often see it in ditches beside roads. We have a sandy loam soil here. I've never tried to cultivate it.
Asparagus sm (4).jpg

I planted a row of 50 crowns25 or so years ago. We harvested a few the second year, and for 4-7 weeks each year afterward. After about 20 years they started dying back. I really need to replant mine. I do miss it so.
He how I did mine: I dug a trench 12x12x18" deep. filled the bottom 6" with some high quality compost, then spread the crowns out over the compost and backfilled 2-4" on top of the crowns. That first season I would let the plants get up 2-4" and then almost cover them with more compost. I did this all summer until I had the trench filled back in. Over that first winter the compost settled some, so I topped it back off after spreading about 3lb's of Triple Super Phosphate fertilize on the row. If I recall right that is either 0-48-0 or 0-0-48. I think the first is correct. Any way it gives the roots of a plant a huge boost. I did this every year and by the time out 5th or 6th week of harvesting came we were about tired of eating it. Sad to say we never tried to can, freeze, rehydrate any. We couldn't stay out of it.
I'd never heard of the calcium or peanut shells. I will give both a try if I can get mine replanted. One trick we figured out once you start getting a good harvest in the 3rd or 4th year and there after. Pick until the stems start getting smaller than a pencil then stop. If they are that small, the roots are exhausted and need to start restoring themselves for the rest of the season.

I planted a row of 50 crowns25 or so years ago. We harvested a few the second year, and for 4-7 weeks each year afterward. After about 20 years they started dying back. I really need to replant mine. I do miss it so.
He how I did mine: I dug a trench 12x12x18" deep. filled the bottom 6" with some high quality compost, then spread the crowns out over the compost and backfilled 2-4" on top of the crowns. That first season I would let the plants get up 2-4" and then almost cover them with more compost. I did this all summer until I had the trench filled back in. Over that first winter the compost settled some, so I topped it back off after spreading about 3lb's of Triple Super Phosphate fertilize on the row. If I recall right that is either 0-48-0 or 0-0-48. I think the first is correct. Any way it gives the roots of a plant a huge boost. I did this every year and by the time out 5th or 6th week of harvesting came we were about tired of eating it. Sad to say we never tried to can, freeze, rehydrate any. We couldn't stay out of it.
I'd never heard of the calcium or peanut shells. I will give both a try if I can get mine replanted. One trick we figured out once you start getting a good harvest in the 3rd or 4th year and there after. Pick until the stems start getting smaller than a pencil then stop. If they are that small, the roots are exhausted and need to start restoring themselves for the rest of the season.
Just FYI the peanut shells are only to help lighten the clay. Otherwise no nutritional value.

I planted some next to my garage years ago and it has gone wild. Horrible spot for it but it seems to like the gravel and soil mix there and so every year it makes me some very nice spears. I've tried sowing some of the seeds into the planters but to date it has yet to take. I do know it takes at least three years for Asparagus to be picked without killing the sprouts. Never seen it grown in pots.

I like asparagus but its too hot here to grow it without lots of work.
It is work to keep an asparagus patch going, especially if the conditions are not ideal. It does grow wild in many places, probably where conditions are good.
My mother had a spectacular garden and I remember friends going to the farm which was going to be sold and digging up her rhubarb and other perennials after she died. I remember the asparagus in my grandparents yard. The soil in that part of South Dakota was black and rich. Consistent rain was more of a problem for farmers, but gardens were watered.

It is work to keep an asparagus patch going, especially if the conditions are not ideal. It does grow wild in many places, probably where conditions are good.
My mother had a spectacular garden and I remember friends going to the farm which was going to be sold and digging up her rhubarb and other perennials after she died. I remember the asparagus in my grandparents yard. The soil in that part of South Dakota was black and rich. Consistent rain was more of a problem for farmers, but gardens were watered.

Good soil is always a big plus, also our grandparents were full of knowledge. The American farmer is almost extinc now.

Latest posts

Back