Growing in Zone 7

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 7b/8a, for me this is the first year in the last 3 when spring seems to be on schedule.

Last year we had a late freeze that wiped out fruit production. Actually killed my fig trees, more or less. They are putting up new sprouts this spring from the root stock.

Anyway, I still keep up with farming issues. Weather is a big part of reporting/predicting on Ag related websites. They haven't sounded any alarms.

I'm liking the cool temps. When i set out cabbage last week i had serious doubts it was going to do well... because it'd been so warm here. So a few cool nights will help my cabbage, like it is your spinach. Guessing, here in the south we grow turnip greens, not spinach. They like a good frost.

Normally I would have had cabbage in the ground 3 weeks earlier. Spring has been so wacky here the last few years that knowing when to plant anything is a crap shoot. One of those years had normal temps but it rained so much the ground stayed cold. Pasture grass turned green in late march but didn't grow until the middle of May. Then a mini drought hit with mid summer temps. I was very glad to be out of the cow business.

Disclaimer.... If you look up the gardening term ...black thumb... there will be a picture of me...
So this will be my first summer on the border of zone 3b to 4a.... I spent the last number of years in a solid zone 2....

Our frost dates have been moved back by 15 days in the last couple years. This year seems to be more on par with what we had for many years up until a few years ago. Doesn't mean I trust it!

Latest posts

Back