Growing Medicinal Plants and How to Use Them

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a good video. Echinicea is one plant I for sure need to be growing.
I bought an echinacea plant yesterday and need to get it into my second herb garden. I haven't worked on this bed yet, but know a spot to plant it, so will dig it out, add some peat moss, mix it in well, and plant the echinacea. I tried taking echinacea tablets many years ago and I got a rash from them. So I know I have to be careful with anything echinacea.

It's all on whether you're acclimated to it, or if it is just plain ol' nasty weather and nobody likes it.
My gardening I do when I have time for it or feel motivated, that's how I have to operate these days.
Be careful with the echinacea. We have maybe three varieties that grow wild here and I love seeing it in the grasslands.

Last edited:
It's all on whether you're acclimated to it, or if it is just plain ol' nasty weather and nobody likes it.
My gardening I do when I have time for it or feel motivated, that's how I have to operate these days.
Be careful with the echinacea. We have maybe three varieties that grow wild here and I love seeing it in the grasslands.
Where else have you lived and how long have you been in Texas? Where would you go if you left Texas? I would go back to South Dakota in a heartbeat if I didn't have my daughter here.

I wonder what constitutes "over use"? can cause unwanted problems. I don't like listing these types of things and I think some herbalists are cautious about mentioning interactions...

Wow! It could be good and it could be a killer! I don't have red clover...

In person, one on one conversation is different than the internet. Anyone can read what I post about a herb, even people whose first language isn't english. It's far easier to misunderstand the intent or meaning behind written words.

Almost any herb can cause problems in the right scenario. I firmly believe it's important when writing to list possible problems. Then people I will never know can research these and figure out what may or may not apply to them.

Being informed of a potential problem is far better than thinking a herb is completely safe no matter the situation... Heck, even an aspirin can cause some people problems.

In person, one on one conversation is different than the internet. Anyone can read what I post about a herb, even people whose first language isn't english. It's far easier to misunderstand the intent or meaning behind written words.

Almost any herb can cause problems in the right scenario. I firmly believe it's important when writing to list possible problems. Then people I will never know can research these and figure out what may or may not apply to them.

Being informed of a potential problem is far better than thinking a herb is completely safe no matter the situation... Heck, even an aspirin can cause some people problems.
I have seen that on medications. I believe the term is contraindicate.
con·tra·in·di·cate
/ˌkäntrəˈindəˌkāt/
verb
MEDICINE
past tense: contraindicated; past participle: contraindicated
  1. (of a condition or circumstance) suggest or indicate that (a particular technique or drug) should not be used in the case in question.
    "surgery may also be contraindicated for more general reasons of increased operative risk"

I dislike it when people ask me... "I have this thing, what herb would be good for that?. It's no different than an OTC's or prescriptions. The person asking me may have a half dozen pre-existing conditions and be taking a dozen other meds they left out of their post. It's a loaded question full of possible disasters.

Thats why I almost always rattle off several possible herbs and tell them to find a herbalist. Herbalists are trained to recognize the health issues a person has, meds they may be taking and what herb is best for a person, I'm not.

I know plants, not people. Over 1200 species of medicinal herbs grow where I live and I study all of them. I can tell you where to find goldenrod root in the dead of winter or boneset during a drought. Would this stop me from treating family or friends in an emergency, of course not. But it's not what I do day in and day out.

I can imagine how hot and maybe humid it is there. The heat is harder on me than the cold. And it is hard on plants. Do you do your gardening in the early mornings or evenings? I get up and head out the door to beat the heat. I cannot stand the sun bearing down on me.
The weather man reported yesterday that one year ago we had 3 inches of snow on May 20! We also had snow in June last year, but we also can have highs in the 90's in April. Our temperatures have been up already this year, but could be worse. It was in the 80's yesterday, don't remember exactly how hot. We are fluctuating for daily highs of 60's to 80's for the next week or so, and there is some rain included in that.

Weedy sweety I never realized how hot it can get up there. I know it can get really cold but not so hot.
Here our lowest is uusally about 4 degree and that hasn't happend that I know of since early 2000s.

Weedy sweety I never realized how hot it can get up there. I know it can get really cold but not so hot.
Here our lowest is uusally about 4 degree and that hasn't happend that I know of since early 2000s.
Meerkat, it can get cold and we can get a lot of snow, but we warm up again in a day or two. Snow storms that make national news are interesting. In about 3 or so days, the only snow left is in the shadows. Every year is different. We usually have about two weeks in the winter where we are below zero. We are in a high plains desert. It is arid and it gets hot in the summer. I get my business done early and then come inside, close the doors, turn on the swamp (evaporative) cooler. I really try not to do that much physical work in the afternoons.

This choice and rare variety is similar in growth habit to green plantain. The colour is a wonderful ruddy red, with a much larger rosette. Bright sunny places intensify the colour and it will grow in all locations. Surface sow in indirect light and damp conditions for best germination. Can also start in pots. A smaller packet, about 20 seeds.
https://eagleridgeseeds.com/collections/herbs/products/red-plantain[This is all I known]

Well, I'll be...

I am interested in that! Thanks to your post, I went looking and now I want some. It seems to share the same medicinal benefits with its green cousins. Additionally, the reddish color suggests that it would be high in anthocyanins which carries benefits not present in green herbs.

Here, look: What Are Anthocyanins?

Here's more on the Red Plantain:

http://www.perennials.com/plants/plantago-major-rubrifolia.html
https://www.crimson-sage.com/store/european-herbs/redplantain232-detail
One of my favorite seedsmen, Richo Czech of strictlymedicinalseeds.com sells a variety of plantain seeds, but not this one!

@joel, I must try some of your Red Plantain!

Eagle Ridge has hot & sweet peppers, that I want to try next year.
I found Red plantain under herbs.

Canibus is a very helpful plant. I'm happy to see states that are getting rid of laws restricting folks from growing n using marijuana.
Me, too. I am not a user, but have used CBD's, which do not get you high.

This week at a dog park, there was discussion about different health problems for dogs. One person said she would give some of her dog's CBD to another regular, because it worked so well for her dog. One person said she could see the effect within an hour on her dog.

But as a native of South Dakota, where the voters approved both medical and recreational last year, and the governor has said no to both, I just shake my head. Let's hope when Kristi Noem is running for president, as is her aspiration, that someone else will be elected to take her place and finally allow this to come to pass. Kristi Noem has done damage to supporters of her party. Former supporters have gone the other way. Someone I know now calls her Krispy Gnome.

@backlash It's another name for Chamomile Tea. Maybe someone thought an exotic sounding name will sell more of it? I don't drink it, lots of website will tell you about it.
The guy I talked to picks the plants in fields and brews tea.
I thought it was something else but I guess I was wrong.
Thanks

My two large pots of Solomon's Seal has come up. Almost 2" tall in one day. I looked yesterday and they weren't up yet.

I have cfs, makes me sedentary. I farm so I have sudden periods of hard physical labor. This means I strain ligaments and tendons all the time. Solomon's Seal is great for this, relieves pain, inflammation and speeds healing... I take it often in warm months.

Sseal 21mar22.JPG

What about Solomon's Plume (Maianthemum racemosum) ??

Seeds, mostly for herbs & nectar plants.

��
Product​
Quantity​
Price​
Shipping:​
Henbit, Red (Lamium purpureum), packet of 100 seeds, organic​
1​
$3.95​
Borage (Borago officinalis) seeds, organic - 5g​
  • Choose a Quantity:
    5g
1​
$19.55​
Amaranth, Golden Giant (Amaranthus cruentus) seeds, organic - 1g​
  • Choose a Quantity:
    1g
1​
$5.00​
Bean, Mohawk Pole (Phaseolus vulgaris) seeds, organic - Packet​
  • Choose a Quantity:
    Packet
1​
$3.95​
Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus), packet of 50 seeds​
1​
$4.95​
Lovage (Levisticum officinale) seeds, organic - Packet​
  • Choose a Quantity:
    Packet
1​
$3.95​
Lime Balm (Melissa officinalis ssp. altissima), packet of 30 seeds, organic​
1​
$3.95​
Subtotal:​
$45.30​
If you have a better source, be glad to have the link, I know you harvest from God's Garden a lot.
I did not order anything on that page, t was just the last page I was on.

Latest posts

Back