Halloween, what do you do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is SO CUTE! Love your blonde curls😊
Thank you. My hair is super straight and has never held a curl for long. The previous photo shows me after being out and about. I can tell just by the hair. My mom worked hard for those curls in my hair. After she was gone, I wore a lot of braids and pony tails, and then had my hair cut pretty short. That was not my doing, to have short hair. I wore my hair pretty long for many years and it was down to my waist as a young woman.

This photo must have been before I put on the hat and before we went out the door. The curls say it all.

Halloween, curly hair.jpg

When I was little, Halloween was one of my most favorite holidays. I didn't realize what was behind it all. As I grew up and had kids, I really never gave it much thought and took the kids trick or treating, like I did as a kid. In the last few years, it has become more obvious what this 'holiday' is predicated upon. Now that I am awake to the evil behind it, I'm no longer a participant. I celebrate the fall harvest and autumn, but I'm no longer going to 'go dark' with Halloween. No skeletons, RIP stones, spiders, fake blood, gore, etc.

1635344343191.png

When I was little, Halloween was one of my most favorite holidays. I didn't realize what was behind it all. As I grew up and had kids, I really never gave it much thought and took the kids trick or treating, like I did as a kid. In the last few years, it has become more obvious what this 'holiday' is predicated upon. Now that I am awake to the evil behind it, I'm no longer a participant. I celebrate the fall harvest and autumn, but I'm no longer going to 'go dark' with Halloween. No skeletons, RIP stones, spiders, fake blood, gore, etc.

View attachment 74526
So many people do not get this at all. Some people saw me as a crackpot not wanting to lead a classroom of students on Halloween. Remember that other post from a couple years ago about some schools not wanting Halloween? We cannot worship on both sides of the aisle. One school that I worked in had several Jehovah's Witnesses and they do not do Halloween, birthdays, or several other holidays. That made it easier for us as a school to do a Harvest Festival, as opposed to Halloween. Costumes alone are too much for teachers to deal with and then there were children who needed help with makeup.

We normally sit outside on the bench. Probably won't this year, the last two years has been pretty sparse with Trick or Treaters. Last year we didn't have anyone come to the house.

All of these trunk or treat and associated things has effectively killed it. Combine that with communities setting "certain" hours, days etc hasn't helped.

It was pretty simple when I was a kid.. Put on costume, wait until dusk, grab bag and go knock on doors.

We normally sit outside on the bench. Probably won't this year, the last two years has been pretty sparse with Trick or Treaters. Last year we didn't have anyone come to the house.

All of these trunk or treat and associated things has effectively killed it. Combine that with communities setting "certain" hours, days etc hasn't helped.

It was pretty simple when I was a kid.. Put on costume, wait until dusk, grab bag and go knock on doors.
And back then you could be 9 years old, out on the street, and not worry about pervs snatching you up or poison in the candy or whatever. The worst that could happen was the junior high bully would push you down and take your candy. And hopefully you had a big brother or cousin who could handle that for you until you got big enough to handle it yourself...

And back then you could be 9 years old, out on the street, and not worry about pervs snatching you up or poison in the candy or whatever. The worst that could happen was the junior high bully would push you down and take your candy. And hopefully you had a big brother or cousin who could handle that for you until you got big enough to handle it yourself...

True, but precautions can be taken to prevent that. It just seems the more we progress the more we regress.

So many people do not get this at all. Some people saw me as a crackpot not wanting to lead a classroom of students on Halloween. Remember that other post from a couple years ago about some schools not wanting Halloween? We cannot worship on both sides of the aisle. One school that I worked in had several Jehovah's Witnesses and they do not do Halloween, birthdays, or several other holidays. That made it easier for us as a school to do a Harvest Festival, as opposed to Halloween. Costumes alone are too much for teachers to deal with and then there were children who needed help with makeup.
Every Jehovah I know celebrates birthdays and Christmas - they just call it by a different name :rolleyes: They don't celebrate Christmas but have "gift day" instead - yea okay. A rose by any other name. . . (I know some very nice JW's. I just think it's a lie for them to claim such things.) I don't actually like those sorts of "parties" at school either.
We will treat it as we do any other evening at home. We are far enough out, we don't get trick or treaters. We had apple cidering last weekend which was way more fun than dressing up and going door to door.

Every Jehovah I know celebrates birthdays and Christmas - they just call it by a different name :rolleyes: They don't celebrate Christmas but have "gift day" instead - yea okay. A rose by any other name. . . (I know some very nice JW's. I just think it's a lie for them to claim such things.) I don't actually like those sorts of "parties" at school either.
We will treat it as we do any other evening at home. We are far enough out, we don't get trick or treaters. We had apple cidering last weekend which was way more fun than dressing up and going door to door.
I am pretty close to a JW and the only holiday I celebrate is Thanksgiving.

See here

https://biblehub.com/isaiah/1-14.htm
And here

https://biblehub.com/amos/5-21.htm
It is just what I feel is right for me.

Ben

View attachment 74526
Good ol' Anton, always good for a laugh.
Hallowmass (Halloween/All saints) Is a Pagan holiday, 100% most of us believe that in one fashion or another the veil between worlds gets thinner and its easier for spirits to get here and vice versa (Voidian and some Wicca.) And depending on the stars you get a main line to whatever realm of spirits you wish to commune with, be they ancestors, the elder spirits, Daemon or even fallen angels. for you Christian friends, this applies to dead friends, relatives and angels as well. it would be a lovely excuse for a prayer meeting really.

Dang it! I forgot to get a bottle of red wine! (SIGH.)

I was against Halloween for a few years too, @angie_nrs and I didn't want my kids doing Halloween stuff. We didn't go trick or treating.
Our one weird tradition is Asian or Chinese food, homemade or take out, on Halloween.

Last edited:
I just snagged a piece of Halloween candy from a bowl at a business that I deal with. That was really nice. Trying to figure out what to wear on Halloween, why settle for one piece of candy when I can get bags full.

I do not believe Halloween has anything to do with the devil.
I do not believe Christmas has anything to do with GOD.
It is your faith or believe that give a thing it power, that is not to say there is no devil or no GOD.
Just that most people have done the holidays as fun not faith.
However, I will be out for dinner tomorrow night, not giving out candy.
My family is meeting to eat together, another one of those faith things.

Just remembered, we used to go out Trick-or-Drinking. A bunch of us would dress up, take our own glass, and go visit mutual friends for one drink, and then off to the next house.

Just remembered, we used to go out Trick-or-Drinking. A bunch of us would dress up, take our own glass, and go visit mutual friends for one drink, and then off to the next house.
Did you drink what they had on hand or was it a request before hand on what you liked?

Sounds like a party waiting to happen!

"We are giving out beer and fried chicken embryo sandwiches."
What movie was that from?

Did you drink what they had on hand or was it a request before hand on what you liked?
We showed up unexpected, took what was offered, chatted, had a short party, and moved to the next friend. Mostly we were the younger group that worked in one field and hung out together. We basically visited the older generation in the same field. We kept the visits to no more than a half an hour, so as not to impose ourselves on them too much. Offers of a second drink were not accepted. We picked people that we thought would appreciate being included but we were careful not to overstay our welcome. That was the one night of the year that unexpected visitors were expected. We were just a bit older than most door knockers.

Latest posts

Back