Hand "STRENGTHENERS".........????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0096.jpeg

My son cut his fingers off using a chopsaw three years ago and underwent therapy after they reattached most. His physio gave him some soft plasticine to use initially, and he practised with pegs and lego for finger strength as time went on. There's an item knitters use also which is meant to be good., but there are exercises for free on YouTube. The exercise items (like scissors you squeeze?) are what I guess you mean, and they are good, but it depends on the initial injury, you wouldn't want to make the problem worse!

I have a set of grip strengtheners.
The old fashioned kind, two round handles connected by a coil spring.
It is a set of four, 50#, 100#, 150# and 200#.

I spent one week with the 50#, doing two sets of 15 reps with each hand 4 or 5 times per day.
I'm using the 100# now.

50 years ago i drove a lumber delivery truck that had no power steering, my forearms looked like Popeye.
I'd like to get back to that.

I use the form football that I got at the fair, now.
I also have a device that counts when you close it completely so you will know that you are doing it right.
But the best hand grip strengtheners In the world is milking a Guernsey cow twice a day, seven days a week. That would be 2 1/2 gallons a morning & evening, rain or shine, cold or hot. I had cable like muscles in my fore arms & upper arm.
Class mate would ask how I got arm muscles & I would tell them milking cows & chopping wood. They did not believe me.
No one does that in the twentieth century.

Last edited:
One of the best things is something you can make yourself out of things you probably already have. It strengthens the forearms and hands.

You need a rod about 18 -24" long. A piece of an old wooden broomstick is perfect.

A plastic gallon milk jug, the kind with a handle.

Some heavy string or twine, several feet long. This can be trimmed to whatever length you desire later.

Some water or sand.

Tie the twine around the center of the rod very tightly. It may help to put a little notch in it. Then tie the other end to the milk jug. Fill the jug with water. 1/2 full = 4 pounds. Full = 8 pounds. Adjust for lighter or heavier depending on your own strength.

Hold the rod in your hands, one hand on each side of the string. Stretch your arms out in front of you. Now twist one wrist back toward you. Roll the other wrist forward and grasp the rod, then roll that wrist back. Keep repeating. This will wind the string around the rod and lift the jug. When the jug lifts all the way to the rod, unroll the string by using an opposite wrist motion. It'll wear out your forearms and hands, and if you keep your arms extended out in front of you it'll burn your front delt muscles too.

In the world of athletics and weightlifting, any "pulling" exercise strengthens the hands.

Deadlift and all deadlift variants
Pull-ups
All rowing variants
Plate pinches
Shrugs
Static holds
Static hangs ("Dead Hangs")

But my favorite is the Farmer's Carry (also called Farmer's Walk). Pick up two heavy things that have handles. In the gym you'd use dumbbells. At home you could use buckets full of water or dirt or whatever. Pick them up, stand tall with your shoulders back and your chest out. Then start walking. Walk until you can't hold on any more. Put them down, catch your breath, pick them up and walk back. Sounds simple, but when you've got 85 pounds in each hand you'll feel it real quick...

Latest posts

Back