Has anyone ever.....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a jello cool whip pie in the freezer? I was making a jello, cool whip, berry pie, made too much. So luckily I had an extra graham cracker crust, made two pies! I don't think that stuff will freeze nicely! So should I freeze one, or should we just go hog wild and eat them both?
I will be very surprised if "cool whip" survives. I haven't tried it, but our cats won't touch cool whip, and I kinda took that as a hint.

Seems to be some kind of whipped oil stuff, and freezing will most likely kill it dead.

Not sure about Jello either, it's a colloid, and most likely will join the cool whip in "death"

As a generality, emulsions and colloids don't take kindly to freezing.

BUT, I been wrong before, ask Lori :D

I will be very surprised if "cool whip" survives. I haven't tried it, but our cats won't touch cool whip, and I kinda took that as a hint.

Seems to be some kind of whipped oil stuff, and freezing will most likely kill it dead.

Not sure about Jello either, it's a colloid, and most likely will join the cool whip in "death"

As a generality, emulsions and colloids don't take kindly to freezing.

BUT, I been wrong before, ask Lori :D
It is kept in the freezer at the grocery stores. I don't use it very often because it is a food made from chemicals that I don't know about. I really prefer to use real cream, but there are many recipes out there that call for Cool Whip. I have tried to substitute real whipped cream for Cool Whip. It is not so easy to make it work.

Honestly @Pearl, I would need to know how the jello was used in the recipe to respond if it could go into the freezer. If jello was mixed into the cool whip as a flavoring, I would imagine it would be safe to freeze. Assuming like this recipe?

https://thesoccermomblog.com/jello-pie/
1701651128009.png

As much as my girlish figure says eat them both, we keep Cool Whip in the freezer with no ill effects, and Weedy is right, the grocery stores keep Cool Whip in the freezer. IMHO freezing one will not be a problem.

Honestly @Pearl, I would need to know how the jello was used in the recipe to respond if it could go into the freezer. If jello was mixed into the cool whip as a flavoring, I would imagine it would be safe to freeze. Assuming like this recipe?

https://thesoccermomblog.com/jello-pie/View attachment 120730
I dissolved the jello in a cup of boiling water, then stirred in 2/3 cup of ice cold water. Mixed it with two tubs of cool whip, dumped that into two graham cracker crusts! I worry about the jello not freezing well! Will probably freeze one just to find out how it goes!! Oh, also mixed in a cup of diced berries ( previously frozen!)

I dissolved the jello in a cup of boiling water, then stirred in 2/3 cup of ice cold water. Mixed it with two tubs of cool whip, dumped that into two graham cracker crusts! I worry about the jello not freezing well! Will probably freeze one just to find out how it goes!! Oh, also mixed in a cup of diced berries ( previously frozen!)
I wouldn't think you should have a problem. Let us know how it goes if you do try iy out.

Well, the fruit, bought frozen, is sweetened , yuck! Too sweet for me (apparently I am sweet enough on my own🙄🙄🙄)! I will freeze one, glad Hubby has a sweet tooth! 🍨
You will be a pioneer :). in frozen cool whip pies :)

I can understand pies, but I do like real whipped cream. I have never heard of anyone putting it on ice cream. Is it a special kind of ice cream dessert?
When I was on the tugs real whipped cream was impractical. Once a week shopping, if I was lucky and limited space. Cool whip if I had it and dream whip if I didn't or if I forgot to take it out of the freezer.

I've used whipped cream, Cool Whip, and DreamWhip to top ice cream, pudding, pies, waffles, etc. Adds to the taste and eye appeal.

What? You can't eat two pies? Amateur!

I make a pie that sounds similar in construction. I put it into the freezer after making it. But I have not put it in there for days in an attempt to freeze it solid. But it's been in there overnight and comes out fine the next day. It is a graham cracker crust, and the filling is Cool Whip, plus key lime flavored yogurt, plus key lime sugar free jello.

If you want to see the actual recipe to check if it's similar to what you made, just Google for "weight watchers key lime pie recipe". It's actually quite good, super easy to make, not not high in calories. Key Lime Pie.

The pies DIED with the fridge!! I'll never make that over sweet crap again! So it's only a dream now, just a bad memory!! ☹️🤔🍨
Dah dah da dah ( simulated game over sound).

Ben

Latest posts

Back