Hate deadbeat horse boarders...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody wants a horse until They get one . Most are in over Their head from day one . I'll stick with chickens and My Redbone Hound .
For sure a lot of work. They can be hard to take care of. My mother wanted one for many years and after I left home she got one. It was too much for her. the horse was big, headstrong, questions one should ask is, who is going to take care of their hooves, can I lift the saddle and get it on, am I familiar with the types of illnesses this animal can get and how to treat them, how to train your animal, how to stable it, what to feet, etc, etc. How many hours do I want to spend per week taking care of a large animal. Dad always called them "hay burners". I read somewhere that taking care of one horse is like taking care of 5 dogs. Do you feel up to taking care of 5 dogs and all their equipment? Yea, she said it was lonely riding alone, so what did she do but get another horse so someone could go with her. This did not last long and she sold them. The best part of the whole deal is someone gave her a goat and we just loved that old goat.
I would recommend that anyone thinking of getting a horse should go volunteer for 40 hours minimum at a stable and then see how they feel about it. Just my 2 cents worth.

How many hours do I want to spend per week taking care of a large animal. Dad always called them "hay burners". I read somewhere that taking care of one horse is like taking care of 5 dogs.

It's why we do mostly "self board". They have to basically supply their own feed, hay, shavings, etc. I just do the work of feeding, watering, turning them in, in the morning. We typically do evening feeding, turn out, etc., but most of the time, one of the boarders does this for us, just because we're getting home later in the evening. It isn't too bad.

Takes me about an hour in the morning (for 9 horses). About the same time in the evening, if we have to do it, but often we don't.

For sure a lot of work. They can be hard to take care of. My mother wanted one for many years and after I left home she got one. It was too much for her. the horse was big, headstrong, questions one should ask is, who is going to take care of their hooves, can I lift the saddle and get it on, am I familiar with the types of illnesses this animal can get and how to treat them, how to train your animal, how to stable it, what to feet, etc, etc. How many hours do I want to spend per week taking care of a large animal. Dad always called them "hay burners". I read somewhere that taking care of one horse is like taking care of 5 dogs. Do you feel up to taking care of 5 dogs and all their equipment? Yea, she said it was lonely riding alone, so what did she do but get another horse so someone could go with her. This did not last long and she sold them. The best part of the whole deal is someone gave her a goat and we just loved that old goat.
I would recommend that anyone thinking of getting a horse should go volunteer for 40 hours minimum at a stable and then see how they feel about it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Hunny called our donkeys "hay burners" but I sure did love them and their personalities. Wish he never sold them. . .

am I familiar with the types of illnesses this animal can get and how to treat them, how to train your animal, how to stable it, what to feet

Learned it all over the past few years. I can even take a horse's pulse with a stethoscope, give shots, minor hoof care, etc. And I train the boarder horses somewhat, in going to their stalls on their own, so I don't have to lead them one by one.

Funny part is, I never wanted 'em. It's the wife's thing. But really, it's too much work for her, with her health issues. She can (and does) ride though, and it makes her happy (and does wonders for her back), so I'm good with it.

I have thought about getting something like a Choctaw pony. Genetically they are only one step removed from the Mustangs, from the same Spanish stock, but unlike the Mustangs they were continuously domesticated for centuries. They were bred to be basically family pets, pack horses, as well as naturally gated riding horses. They were not war horses as the Choctaws believed horses made too much racket, making it impossible to be stealthy, so Choctaws always went on foot on the warpath.

They were ridden hundreds of miles on extended hunting expeditions to the Great Plains to haul buffalo meat and hides back to Mississippi. They are surefooted, very hardy, don't need shoes and can thrive on range grass. Unlike some ponies, they have a very sweet disposition. The only problem is like the Mustang, they were targeted for extermination by the government, so there aren't many left.

Traditionally they were never fenced, stabled or tied up. They had a bell around their neck so they could be located. They usually didn't stray very far.

http://www.summerduckwood.net/History-of-the-Choctaw-Horses.html

Last edited:
Everybody wants a horse until They get one . Most are in over Their head from day one . I'll stick with chickens and My Redbone Hound .

Better have infrastructure in place (barn/stable/land/fencing) and the resources along with mobility to transport (grain/hay/horse) and of course money otherwise one is in trouble before they get the horse.

Better have infrastructure in place (barn/stable/land/fencing) and the resources along with mobility to transport (grain/hay/horse) and of course money otherwise one is in trouble before they get the horse.

Hence why people board with us. We have all that, they just have to pay a monthly fee (which is actually pretty cheap). There's enough places that deliver hay though. (though I'd have not having a truck!)

Most overlooked aspect. Water.

You really want a spigot at each stall (or at least between each), or else you are creating a LOT of work for yourself. Once we started using more stalls, I ran water lines to those that didn't have it.

In addition to all the above, one of the most important things that a person needs to know about keeping a horse is how to take care of their feet. I don't mean shoeing, but how to trim their hooves. And what to look for in hoof care, i.e. founder, cracks, splits or lamness. Any horse owner should know basic vet care too. Like how and when to worm the horse, how to give a shot, proper fly control etc. Even something as simple as picking out the right salt/mineral block. What minerals are lacking in the pasture in your area?
Anyone can buy a horse and throw it out on pasture, but that horse deserves to be cared for properly. Everytime I drive down south for supplies I pass by a small field, maybe 10 acres in size, with several horses. In this "pasture" there isn't a tree or shelter for the horses to get out of the sun. There isn't a blade of grass either, just dust and dirt. Last time I drove by this place it was 103 degs and the horses were all trying to stand in the shade of a single power pole.

then you will just have to take the good with the bad,,,as for myself I don't need a bunch of strangers hanging around no matter how much they are spending

PEOPLE ARE MORE TROUBLE THAN ANY ANIMAL
I don't like people at my place, I get real suspicious, wonder what the heck they are here for. Have my gun handy too. If you come down my drive and I don't know you then we got a problem. I don't even like it if a vehicle drives by slow. I check them out. give them the old stare down. I SEE YOU MISTER

In addition to all the above, one of the most important things that a person needs to know about keeping a horse is how to take care of their feet. I don't mean shoeing, but how to trim their hooves. And what to look for in hoof care, i.e. founder, cracks, splits or lamness. Any horse owner should know basic vet care too. Like how and when to worm the horse, how to give a shot, proper fly control etc. Even something as simple as picking out the right salt/mineral block. What minerals are lacking in the pasture in your area?
Anyone can buy a horse and throw it out on pasture, but that horse deserves to be cared for properly. Everytime I drive down south for supplies I pass by a small field, maybe 10 acres in size, with several horses. In this "pasture" there isn't a tree or shelter for the horses to get out of the sun. There isn't a blade of grass either, just dust and dirt. Last time I drove by this place it was 103 degs and the horses were all trying to stand in the shade of a single power pole.
That kind of crap ticks me off.

Hence why people board with us. We have all that, they just have to pay a monthly fee (which is actually pretty cheap). There's enough places that deliver hay though. (though I'd have not having a truck!)

Most overlooked aspect. Water.

You really want a spigot at each stall (or at least between each), or else you are creating a LOT of work for yourself. Once we started using more stalls, I ran water lines to those that didn't have it.
I remember my sister forgot to turn off the spigot to the trough and flooded the field, I do mean the field. Oh, the work. Just the thought of cleaning the trough.

I remember my sister forgot to turn off the spigot to the trough and flooded the field, I do mean the field. Oh, the work. Just the thought of cleaning the trough.

Done that a few times, hehe

Latest posts

Back