Having a remote location

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've looked at our remote cabin as not just a hunting, recreation cabin but as a bugout place. It's also in the middle of the woods so out of sight.
Currently we fly in via bush plane but I've made the trip on atv. It's not easy as several bridges need to be built. And it's off the trail system. I am familiar with the local vegetation n how to use it medicinally or for food. And planting other perennials such as rhubarb n raspberries. We have a sandpoint well in the cabin and a pond out front. And a hand pump water purifier. A few generators n enough fuel for a year. Gas lamps. Kerosene lamps. Tool shed to repair things. Chainsaws Guns ammo, wild game and a salmon stream with trout n grayling year round. And how to harvest n process them proficiently. Nearest other 2 cabins are over a mile.
I know there's enough stuff to get by. I enjoy going out for a couple months in a row so I have a bit of a clue. And I know what it's like to be by yourself for a few months in the woods. Gotta say I love that part. Always need more practice.
We also have a bunch of dehydrated food in cans. Several medical kits.
The other folks out here are probably a pretty self sufficient type of folks. And good to have as neighbors if the shtf
If there ever is a shtf scenario I'm taking my family there

Attachments

• 302CA014-1DCA-48C3-8E2C-ECEFED273056.jpeg
    302CA014-1DCA-48C3-8E2C-ECEFED273056.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 25
  • EF5CA638-AB6A-4BAE-A86C-B159961C7E06.jpeg
    EF5CA638-AB6A-4BAE-A86C-B159961C7E06.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 24
  • F8DEDF6E-2C29-49E6-82AE-D16A0C92F4CF.jpeg
    F8DEDF6E-2C29-49E6-82AE-D16A0C92F4CF.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 21
Great pictures. Have you had any issues with theft while you are away? There are so many advantages to having a remote locations and I wish I had a viable completely remote fly in only location, and theft while I would be away would be one of my worries. When I am away from my place, I do every I can to minimize my time away for this reason, but theft has not been an issue in my area unlike some other areas such as on the Parks highway.

Great pictures. Have you had any issues with theft while you are away? There are so many advantages to having a remote locations and I wish I had a viable completely remote fly in only location, and theft while I would be away would be one of my worries. When I am away from my place, I do every I can to minimize my time away for this reason, but theft has not been an issue in my area unlike some other areas such as on the Parks highway.

Been OK so far. I used to worry, still do a bit but there's not a lot of drug addicts out there. And the other locals have a grape vine as you know. And I'd rather have the worry of loosing rather than not have.
Good luck man. What a great summer huh

Nice spot brother. We have a similar situation on an interior Ak river. We are susceptible to extreme high water (cabin was homesteaded in the 60's so it's been there through our record floods with no problem) and also extreme low water such as is going on right now. We have a boat designed for this kind of river, but I don't like to press my luck. Alaska has some sweet spots as long as you can handle the extremes.
"The good guys aren't coming"

Looks like a beautiful place, and an ideal set up. How long do you have to hunker down for Winter? I don't think I would care to much for Alaska Winters. I would rather be near beach.

Yeppers Musket, busting jet drive amongst a bunch of other break downs. Hopefully upriver. But going down river without power and sweepers hanging over the river is not much fun but exciting though. Getting swamped is not good and boating remote rivers can get dangerous but worth the reward.
No hunkering down for winter. I enjoy being out. I have the best long underwear I can find n good outerwear. We also do lots of winter activities snogo, ice fishing. Practice trapping. Or just working outside. Generally settle if colder that minus 20 or so

Latest posts

Back