He is called lucky

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
I call this ill tempered dog lucky
He's lucky I was in a good mood
And did not shoot him
Strutting down my street and gets ill tempered at me
IMG_0327.jpeg
IMG_0327.jpegIMG_0328.jpegIMG_0341.png

A dog baring it’s teeth and growling is no different than a perp pulling a knife or gun, putting them down is at your discretion. The first time a dog did that I might let it go. The second time that dog had better be fast, like faster than 1200FPS fast. If a dog threatens me, what would it do to a kid? If it tried to bite me, like Noem’s dog did, it would all be over.

I was 15 or 16 when the folks assigned me to put down or family dog. He had bitten his second kid in two separate incidents. The kids were teasing the dog. Putting down the kids would have solved the problem but putting down the dog kept the Troopers out of it. This was a big dog and a life threat to an adult, and it had bitten kids twice. I could have taken it to the pound where strangers would put it down. It deserved family.

A dog baring it’s teeth and growling is no different than a perp pulling a knife or gun, putting them down is at your discretion. The first time a dog did that I might let it go. The second time that dog had better be fast, like faster than 1200FPS fast. If a dog threatens me, what would it do to a kid? If it tried to bite me, like Noem’s dog did, it would all be over.

I was 15 or 16 when the folks assigned me to put down or family dog. He had bitten his second kid in two separate incidents. The kids were teasing the dog. Putting down the kids would have solved the problem but putting down the dog kept the Troopers out of it. This was a big dog and a life threat to an adult, and it had bitten kids twice. I could have taken it to the pound where strangers would put it down. It deserved family.
Unless I am on his land/home, even a dog has the right to stand his ground, on his ground.
The street is a hound of a different color.

Unless I am on his land/home, even a dog has the right to stand his ground, on his ground.
The street is a hound of a different color.
The neighborhood kids were playing, my young brothers included. I liked that dog but biting can’t be allowed, especially not with a bunch of playing kids.

I’ve only known 1 aussie that was aggressive. We’ve had several since childhood and all good dispositions.
I have worked with MANY, great obedience dogs! Before obedience classes, many were biters! Aussies are actually from Spain, brought to Australia to keep sheep and goats on their own !! They were not there to kill predators, rather make a decision to move them! They had to be aggressive with their herd to make them go where they would be safe! They are natural "nippers", and they don't see humans as Alphas! So the dog Frodo encounters is loose on its own, making it's own decisions! That does not make for a good Aussie!!

I like that you can joke about it. I didn't post in the thread because I know some dogs do need to be put down for having an ill-tempered nature that can't be corrected.
Really...their owners needed to be put down. Once a dog "is ruined" like that...it's a death sentence for them. I find that shameful. If dogs didn't domesticate we humans...we'd still be sitting up all night around the fire with a sharp stick peering off into the night. EDIT: look at what I wrote...down there.

I’ve only known 1 aussie that was aggressive. We’ve had several since childhood and all good dispositions.
DW had two of them as a child & they were great pets & farm animals, kelp fox, coons, deer, rats & snake at bay.

Really...their owners needed to be put down. Once a dog "is ruined" like that...it's a death sentence for them. I find that shameful. If dogs didn't domesticate we humans...we'd still be sitting up all night around the fire with a sharp stick peering off into the night. EDIT: look at what I wrote...down there.
Yes, and that dog in Frodo's picture should not be out wandering the roads, somebody IS going to end up shooting him! Irresponsible owners make for bad dogs! The owner of that Aussie has no idea where that dog is!! We dealt with a guy in our area for years who neglected his dogs. Many were shot by other people in the area, two killed by the Angus cows across the road from me (those mammas are protective), four killed by my donkey, and many hit by cars and killed by coyotes! Some people SHOULD NOT have animals!

This does really frustrate me. We live on 5 acres, in a "subdivision" with 5-10 acre lots. When we first moved out here there was nobody on either side of us or behind us and my dog stayed loose alot. She's a great farm dog and LOVES to be outside. The problem was that she didn't understand property boundaries so when neighbors begin moving in around us, she thought all the land belonged to HER.

Soooo..... WE promptly built an appropriate yard fence... then expanded it to a "barnyard" fence, made just to keep her in and other people's dogs out. I respect my neighbors, and I love my dogs. I don't want either hurt.

Good fences make good neighbors... and all that.
20180126_164642.jpg

This does really frustrate me. We live on 5 acres, in a "subdivision" with 5-10 acre lots. When we first moved out here there was nobody on either side of us or behind us and my dog stayed loose alot. She's a great farm dog and LOVES to be outside. The problem was that she didn't understand property boundaries so when neighbors begin moving in around us, she thought all the land belonged to HER.

Soooo..... WE promptly built an appropriate yard fence... then expanded it to a "barnyard" fence, made just to keep her in and other people's dogs out. I respect my neighbors, and I love my dogs. I don't want either hurt.

Good fences make good neighbors... and all that.
View attachment 129302
The county I live in has an animal containment law! Very necessary!!

I’ve had 2 pups in the last 20yrs. The rest were adults when I got them. Adults learn boundaries quicker than pups. Wolf packs have boundaries, it’s in their genes, something dogs instinctively understand. I have about 100aces. I want my dogs patrolling the entire property.

With a new dog I walk the boundary 3 times a week for a couple months. I mark my territory, make sure the dogs see me marking the boundary just like a wolf pack would do. Most do great at respecting the boundary. Sometimes they stray but not far, generally they do well. A couple loved to chase deer, tough to break them of that, took a couple years but I succeeded. Have to be firm and consistent.

I worked with SEEING EAR DOGS!!♥️ All hand signals!! Bear knows all the hand signals!!
I was impressed by the dogs being used to clear Hamos tunnels. Cool them going ahead with cameras but the impressive ones worked closely with their handlers. Dogs would walk backwards watching their handlers back! Very cool to watch. All on hand signals.

Ben

I was impressed by the dogs being used to clear Hamos tunnels. Cool them going ahead with cameras but the impressive ones worked closely with their handlers. Dogs would walk backwards watching their handlers back! Very cool to watch. All on hand signals.

Ben
Dogs are SO AMAZING!! Most people don't give them enough credit!! 🤔😃

Dogs actually learn hand signals quicker than voice. Their natural communication amongst themselves is largely non-verbal and they react and respond to the smallest signals between themselves. Most people are clueless to dog "language" and can't understand when XYZ happens because they miss the signals.

I take a Fox Hound named Bernard to the park a couple days a week. He has the biggest smile I have ever seen on a dog. You see all of his teeth! One day he walked up to a man and gave him a great big smile. The man said, "He showed me his teeth!" I said, "Doesn't he have the biggest smile you've ever seen on a dog?" "Oh, that was a smile?" "Yes, that was a smile. And you can see all of his teeth when he smiles!"

Bernard only gets upset with unneutered male dogs but gets extremely excited about garbage trucks and city buses. I have tried many times to get a photo of that smile, but he is too animated for me to get one.

I take a Fox Hound named Bernard to the park a couple days a week. He has the biggest smile I have ever seen on a dog. You see all of his teeth! One day he walked up to a man and gave him a great big smile. The man said, "He showed me his teeth!" I said, "Doesn't he have the biggest smile you've ever seen on a dog?" "Oh, that was a smile?" "Yes, that was a smile. And you can see all of his teeth when he smiles!"

Bernard only gets upset with unneutered male dogs but gets extremely excited about garbage trucks and city buses. I have tried many times to get a photo of that smile, but he is too animated for me to get one.
My brother just got a rescue dog that smiles. She will smile on command. The vet even said it’s normal and a sign of submission.

I have a dog that smiles, but it's more like a huge grin rather than a showing teeth smile. I think it's so cool and easy to get pics of when she lays her head on my pillow... sometimes it's a constant smile. :)

Latest posts

Back