Hello From Alabama!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wmahoney

Friend
Neighbor
Hello,
My name is Willow, and me and my family have a 100 acre homestead in Roanoke, AL, where we have Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Kune Kune and American Guinea Pigs, chickens, guinea fowl, and quail. We are hoping to someday also have a Miniature Jersey cow, and maybe some horses as well😊
I found this community and thought it might be a good fit.
Thank y'all for already making me feel welcome!! ❤❤❤

Welcome from the west side of the state! But i know someone in Roanoke, or did. I used to buy crushed volcanic rock by the ton for my farm. I'd sell a few bags to offset some of my costs. Sold some to a lady on county road 630 in roanoke. Delivered a few hundred pounds, seems she had goats also. Funny, just remembered, once bought a great hereford bull just south of Heflin, near wedowee. So i'm familiar with your neighborhood! :)

Lots of good info here in old threads. Welcome to add some... post away.

Last edited:
Welcome from Winchester, Oklahoma. Glad you found your way here. I need pictures of your pigs!
Hello!
Here are some pictures of our pigs (I included one from when they were piglets)😊
Most of them are a mix between Kune Kune and American Guinea hogs, but we have some purebred.
We found that we really like the mix because they are not that big, and they are friendly enough to climb into their pen to feed them, while still providing a good amount of meat for a small family.

Attachments

• 678.jpg
    678.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • piglets.PNG
    piglets.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Welcome from the west side of the state! But i know someone in Roanoke, or did. I used to buy crushed volcanic rock by the ton for my farm. I'd sell a few bags to offset some of my costs. Sold some to a lady on county road 630 in roanoke. Funny, just remembered, bought a great hereford bull just south of Heflin once, near wedowee. So i'm familiar with your neighborhood! :)

Lots of good info here in old threads. Welcome to add some... post away.
That's Awesome!
We moved from Vermont a few years ago, and we absolutely love it here.
Definitely don't miss the long cold winters. We used to have to break ice to just to give water to our animals😂

Welcome from a city dweller in SW Michigan.

Ditto about knowledgeable people here with a good sense of humor. I've found plenty of good info I can use as I plan to retire in a less occupied area and strive to be self-sufficient or at least able to live off the grid for short periods of time. I get a laugh once in a while too. ;)

Hello,
My name is Willow, and me and my family have a 100 acre homestead in Roanoke, AL, where we have Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Kune Kune and American Guinea Pigs, chickens, guinea fowl, and quail. We are hoping to someday also have a Miniature Jersey cow, and maybe some horses as well😊
I found this community and thought it might be a good fit.
Thank y'all for already making me feel welcome!! ❤❤❤
I'm new, as well. Lots of good souls, here.......

Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from rural NE Florida.
It must have been a bit of a culture shock moving from Vermont to Alabama.
...Trying to see if she changed her blue shirts for Crimson ones? :D
Oh, and welcome from 'the real swamp'.
I grew up in Bama and spent the first half of my life there. Loved it😍.
But when I retired, I flew south for the winter of 'old age'.

Last edited:
...Trying to see if she changed her blue shirts for Crimson ones? :D
Just wondering how she’s liking grits, aka Georgia Ice Cream.

Grits are a gift from God.

Latest posts

Back