Hello from an off-grid homestead in Australia

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmy-Lou

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hello!

I’m new to the forum so thought I should introduce myself. I’m a wife, mother of 4 and we are in the process of setting up our off-grid mix farm, or as you guys would call it, homestead.

We currently live in 30ft yurt, and one day hope to build a bigger home as it’s a bit of a squeeze. But it serves the purpose of being a good little home that was incredibly fast to build. We have a small solar system, generator, gas fridge, wood oven for cooking and heating and a 10,000L header tank which gravity feeds our home. Though we need more tanks one day. It’s on the list. It’s a long list.

We have a small (but growing!) heard of boer goats that are guarded by our Anatolian shepherd, 5 cows and a bunch of chickens. Some for meat and some for eggs. I have some garden areas for herbs and veggies, but we are working on fencing so that’s a work in progress. As are most things around here!

I feel like homesteading from a self sufficient viewpoint is perhaps more common in America, so I’m looking forward to browsing and learning what others are doing.

I love to write and share about our family’s life and progress HERE if you’re interested. :)

AF3BC641-2E19-4BEA-B15D-A29BE6D1A23D.jpeg

Attachments

• C77533F6-1EF9-4F90-ACAF-2DEB299FCDD4.jpeg
    C77533F6-1EF9-4F90-ACAF-2DEB299FCDD4.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CDC3A850-7593-4DCC-9AED-0BEE751E4A0E.jpeg
    CDC3A850-7593-4DCC-9AED-0BEE751E4A0E.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
Welcome from New York!

I like your blog!
Aw thanks Amish Heart. I hope one day our children will look back and appreciate their somewhat unusual life while we get established here with fondness. We moved 2000kms interstate a few years ago. I’m unsure how many miles that is.

Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Oregon. We started off grid for the first 4 years. The Fouch family was my inspiration. They are a family of 5 that started out in Idaho in a yurt. If you ever have time check out their YouTube channel. They are no longer posting but there are about 5 years worth. Love your blog. https://m.youtube.com/c/FouchomaticOffGrid/playlists
Edit: stupid spell check not couch family they never do nuthin.

Last edited:
Greetings from Alamogordo, New Mexico! Friends have been to Australia & New Zealand, but I've never made it down there, much as I wanted to go... just wasn't in the cards, I reckon. But as an expert lifelong small craft sailor (Laser & Minifish & other larger craft), I know y'all have some killer sailing down there... dunno if you're anywhere near the coast, I'll have to read up later, I'm on my way to go adult BMX riding on this glorious fall morning! Cheers!!! :cool:

Hello and a warm welcome from the other side of the equator in S.W. Oregon. We had neighbors that were raising Anatolians for pups to sell, the bitch was an animal I wanted nothing to do with, she was born with a real bad attitude, the male and I got along. The neighbors had to move about ten miles away and at their new place that bitch cause the guys wife to trip and she broke her leg, they ended up selling the dogs, they were getting out and causing a lot of problems with their new neighbors. Anyway, all the best to you and your family.

Welcome from the deep south! I live on the farm where I was born. I think walking barefoot through pastures, fields and woods as a kid... inoculates them from the idiocy that plagues much of the world. Look forward to updates about your farm.
How lovely to be able to live in the farm where you were born. There is definitely something about living with nature and the natural cycles of life and death that helps develop a different mindset.

North GA bids thee greetings and salutations with a plate of BBQ and a cold RC cola and a moon pie y'all.
Thanks! I have never had nor seen moon pie. I shall have to google!

Welcome from Oregon. We started off grid for the first 4 years. The Couch family was my inspiration. They are a family of 5 that stated out in Idaho in a yurt. If you ever have time check out their YouTube channel. They are no longer posting but there are about 5 years worth. Love your blog. https://m.youtube.com/c/FouchomaticOffGrid/playlists
Oh thanks for the link, I'm not sure I have heard of them so I look forward to checking them out I appreciate the recommendation! I do look forward to putting a full size house on the property one day, the yurt is a great little home but the kitchen and pantry situation are not ideal for a family our size wanting to grow and process our own food.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Hello and a warm welcome from the other side of the equator in S.W. Oregon. We had neighbors that were raising Anatolians for pups to sell, the bitch was an animal I wanted nothing to do with, she was born with a real bad attitude, the male and I got along. The neighbors had to move about ten miles away and at their new place that bitch cause the guys wife to trip and she broke her leg, they ended up selling the dogs, they were getting out and causing a lot of problems with their new neighbors. Anyway, all the best to you and your family.
That's unfortunate. They are a big dog that's for sure. Hagrid is a lovely fellow, who loves people and is a wonderful protector of his goats. We have a serious problem with wild dogs in this area and since having him for the past two years we haven't had a problem. He's great with people and children, though I have no doubt would get serious if either was under threat. It's unfortunate they were breeding from an aggressive animal, that's not ideal for the well-being of the breed.

Thanks for the welcome!

Greetings from Alamogordo, New Mexico! Friends have been to Australia & New Zealand, but I've never made it down there, much as I wanted to go... just wasn't in the cards, I reckon. But as an expert lifelong small craft sailor (Laser & Minifish & other larger craft), I know y'all have some killer sailing down there... dunno if you're anywhere near the coast, I'll have to read up later, I'm on my way to go adult BMX riding on this glorious fall morning! Cheers!!! :cool:
It is a long way from where you are, sometimes that's the way things land isn't it? There are many places I would like to go, but who knows if I will get there. We are about an hour from the ocean. We go to the beach a lot in the summer, but we don't sail. We don't have the know-how and no friends with a boat! Originally we are river people, having both grown up on the River Murray. Enjoy your BMX riding. I suppose now you have been and come back, different time zones!

Latest posts

Back