Hello

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Hi everyone - I used to belong to a forum years ago and this one had similar vibes, so thought I'd take the plunge and join in. I'm not U.S. based (hope that's ok?) but have travelled around it a bit. I keep hens, bees, grow veg and try to live lightly. Looking forward to the chat :)

Last edited:
Hello from GA, pull up a bucket to the bonfire and grab a cold one and a moon pie!

Are you the Magpie I know from another forum? you're both Irish.

Had to ask :)
Welcome anyway! What's the situation over there?
Personally - 'On the fence' is probably the best way to describe it. On top of the effects of the war in Ukraine and the pandemic, we have issues with Britain leaving the EU - Brexit as its called here. I would be wary about the future simply because I don't believe the war will end soon, and I see grain shortages due to lack of planting but refuse to let it overwhelm me. We'll cross that bridge etc... Prices have gone up about 30% since the start of the year across the board. No shortages in the supermarkets, but some limitations. A product could be missing for a month and then reappear. I noticed before the pandemic certain items - middle-of-the-range products, were disappearing. I have always kept a good stock of food as I live rurally. The winter here will be the finishing of a lot of people, and to be honest I'm not sure if they realise it. As an example, home heating oil for 200 litres was, last year, between €190 and €220. I priced it yesterday out of curiosity and it was €380. The elderly especially cannot afford that kind of increase. And it's not winter yet; prices will rise. Electricity is going up another 10% in August and one of the gas companies 27%. Anyone with sense will ride it out, but sense is limited also!

Welcome from the state of montana. We live on the slopes of the rocky mountains. I agree winter is going to be a crisis for some people.
Natural gas which is used for heating is doubling in price and electricity is also going up. We have become a destination for people fleeing the west coast and lawlessness so property values have doubled which will raise our property taxes.
Our schools use a lot of diesel for their buses in our sparsely populated area so I expect to see higher emergency taxes for the school bussing.
Our household has ample wood for heating and our own well with alternate solar pumping. So far it has been a wet spring and our garden (and the weeds) are growing well.
Looking for a few others who need a safe space to live for a while and are willing to work and help with security.

A warm welcome from Aaska!

At least you answered a question from Magus, which tells me you're not some spambot, lol. Greetings from Alamogordo, New Mexico! I have many relatives in England, since my eldest brother (now deceased, but one of seven) married an English gal and lived near Forest Hill for decades. South of the City of London, but one could see the entire city to the north from the back yard. :cool:

Hello and welcome from out in the woods of S.W. Oregon where our gaurds for the north side of our property are mountain lions and bear. You've found a very good place to come, good people with all kinds of prepper info, many that live what they preach.

Welcome aboard.
welcome.jpg

Welcome from the state of montana. We live on the slopes of the rocky mountains. I agree winter is going to be a crisis for some people.
Natural gas which is used for heating is doubling in price and electricity is also going up. We have become a destination for people fleeing the west coast and lawlessness so property values have doubled which will raise our property taxes.
Our schools use a lot of diesel for their buses in our sparsely populated area so I expect to see higher emergency taxes for the school bussing.
Our household has ample wood for heating and our own well with alternate solar pumping. So far it has been a wet spring and our garden (and the weeds) are growing well.
Looking for a few others who need a safe space to live for a while and are willing to work and help with security.
When we lived in the States we planned to move to Montana. People have a need for space and wilderness at the moment. Over here there's been a big push to the west coast, especially now remote working is a possibility. Folks want a better quality of life and four hours in city traffic whilst you pay for childcare isn't it.

Hi everyone - I used to belong to a forum years ago and this one had similar vibes, so thought I'd take the plunge and join in. I'm not U.S. based (hope that's ok?) but have travelled around it a bit. I keep hens, bees, grow veg and try to live lightly. Looking forward to the chat :)

Thanks everyone!
It's great seeing where everyone's from; brings back great memories from visits to some of the states. Best trip was to Alaska about 8 years ago. I read alot, and most of it centres on American homesteading/ off grid, culture etc. If there's a book thread I'll pop up some of my favs.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri; right in the middle of the USA. Good to have you with us. It is always interesting to hear different perspective from another part of the world.

Thanks everyone!
It's great seeing where everyone's from; brings back great memories from visits to some of the states. Best trip was to Alaska about 8 years ago. I read alot, and most of it centres on American homesteading/ off grid, culture etc. If there's a book thread I'll pop up some of my favs.
Welcome from Iowa!

There are some literary threads here, including a section for our member's own writings. Have a look!

Latest posts

Back