Help... Ear Hematoma

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of pics... I dealt with this ages ago with another dog... don't remember what I did.

Ear Hematoma a (3) sm.JPG
Ear Hematoma a (5)sm .JPG

Dr. Pol just lances them with a scalpel blade, drains the blood, then squirts in hydrogen peroxide.
Better have a real sharp knife, or razor blade.
I tried that with a stray cat that was walking sideways about 45 yr ago, too broke for vet so I held its ear up, took razor tried to cut it ,second time it worked, but I was sitting there with half its ear in myhand, and didn't see that cat again for a couple weeks, but it was fine just missing a ear. Sometimes we have to work with what we have.

Make sure the dog doesn't bite you though. Poor dog and they are almost like family.

Dr. Pol just lances them with a scalpel blade, drains the blood, then squirts in hydrogen peroxide.

i would go to the lowest point and put a slit so it drains..that way it wont rot from inside.

after it drains i would use a syringe and flush it with iodine or betodine or something.

I think I had a vet do it and watched. I remember seeing it done but this was so long ago I really don't remember details. I found a couple you tub vids on the subject. I may watch them later tonight.

I have some fresh herbs to draw out any infection, speed healing. Keeping them on him would be almost impossible unless I bandaged his whole head and tied his paws together.

Tomorrow the only vet close by is closed, I called and got their recording. I don't want to wait until monday...

drain it...flush it...spray a dab of blue stuff on it(at drain hole)..it will be better by monday i bet.

i aint no vet nor offering advice...its what i would do with it if it was mine.

That blue stuff is awesome. In my best Rod Stewart voice....

Imagine if you will, a german shepherd crossed with a golden retriever. The build and markings of a shepherd but the blond coloring of the golden retriever.

Now imagine that dog covered with blue polka dots.

That's what happens when he protects his property from 4 invading mongrels and grandma is the doctor. We never did see any of those dogs again. Guess they should have not been chasing the cows. He hated any uninvited dogs on the property.

2021-01-01 01.20.52.jpg
The blue stuff is called blue coat sold by several makers.
First put a muzzle on the dog or improvise a muzzle. Don't risk it the dog doesn't know what's happening.
Then rub iodine or alcohol on the ear well and let it dry to prep the area.
Using a sterile scalpel or cleaned sharp blade lance it at the bottom.
Rinse the drained pocket with a salt water solution and maybe iodine. Salt water will help kill bacteria by dehydrating it. (1/2 teaspoon salt per cup of water. Boil covered a few min to sterilized the solution, cool then apply)

If you choose to do this don't bandage the wound let it drain and keep your pet from picking at it.
***I am not a vet and going to a vet is the ideal choice** but I totally understand cost aspect.

I would try to give some type of pain relief. Get another person to help hold your dog and keep it as calm as possible.

I'll add a pic of my can of blu kote but there are several manufacturers.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Sound advice! I'm pretty sure I know what happened. The puppy is finally tall enough, I saw him nipping at the big dogs ears this week. The big dog is very patient and lets the puppy get a way with it.

The puppy might have opened a vein or artery in the ear, figure that's what happened.

That dog is so big I guess I'll call a few neighbors in the morning and get someone to help me hold him. I'll lance it, drain it and give it some medicine.
Make sure you sterilize the knife,blade first.when I was a kid mama would burn end of needle to strilize it for our splinters or whatever. It would turn red.Be ready for the dog to shake that puss all over.

@Peanut
My friend Doc , is very adapt at veternary work also.
I talked to him about it.
He said that happens from an injury or trauma to the ear.
He said if the ear is bent, roll up paper towels into a cone shape , tape it in the ear next to hematoma , to straighten ear. No surgery necessary.
Leave it this way for 10 to 20 days , it will go away, but takes a while.

Jim

I finally got someone at the vet clinic in town on the phone. Said - not an emergency, will be fine until Monday. Bring him in then.

First thing this morning I called two cousins and a neighbor. All the menfolk are in the woods hunting today. Darn...

My dog is to big for me to hold by myself and lance the ear safely. I could hold him or lance the ear but not both at the same time. Afraid I'd hurt him or make the situation worse. He weighs about 110lbs.

So, I guess I'll wait.

I finally got someone at the vet clinic in town on the phone. Said - not an emergency, will be fine until Monday. Bring him in then.

First thing this morning I called two cousins and a neighbor. All the menfolk are in the woods hunting today. Darn...

My dog is to big for me to hold by myself and lance the ear safely. I could hold him or lance the ear but not both at the same time. Afraid I'd hurt him or make the situation worse. He weighs about 110lbs.

So, I guess I'll wait.

Best choice if you can get him to vet.

Yeah I wouldn't cut at it if you can go to a vet and maybe your dog won't need it lanced after.....even better. Let us know what the vet says or does! Be interesting to learn what is proper for that specific situation.

An idea came to me last night as a way to treat Joe's ear.

1. Yarrow is a blood mover, it's great for varicose veins, stagnant blood in a bad bruise or wound etc. It's a plant I've used many times to treat myself and critters.

2. Plantain, it will draw infection and inflammation from an injury, abscess etc.

I went and gathered a few leaves of plantain. My yarrow is in pots on my porch, grabbed a few sprigs of it.

I finely chopped them but needed some way to get them to stay on the dogs ear. Then it occurred to me, Preparation H. It's sticky and a dog won't lick it. I tested it. The puppy licked Joe's good ear where I wiped some preparation H. The look on his face was pretty funny, but he didn't lick it again. Also preparation H reduces inflammation, a two fer!

So, I made a paste of Yarrow, Plantain and Preparation H and got a good coat on the big dogs ear. I'm sure it'll help, just a matter of how much.

Ear Hema (1) sm.jpg
Ear Hema (2) sm.jpg
Ear Hema (3) sm.jpg
Ear Hema (4) sm.jpg
Ear Hema (5) sm.jpg
Ear Hema (6) sm.jpg

An idea came to me last night as a way to treat Joe's ear.

1. Yarrow is a blood mover, it's great for varicose veins, stagnant blood in a bad bruise or wound etc. It's a plant I've used many times to treat myself and critters.

2. Plantain, it will draw infection and inflammation from an injury, abscess etc.

I went and gathered a few leaves of plantain. My yarrow is in pots on my porch, grabbed a few sprigs of it.

I finely chopped them but needed some way to get them to stay on the dogs ear. Then it occurred to me, Preparation H. It's sticky and a dog won't lick it. I tested it. The puppy licked Joe's good ear where I wiped some preparation H. The look on his face was pretty funny, but he didn't lick it again. Also preparation H reduces inflammation, a two fer!

So, I made a paste of Yarrow, Plantain and Preparation H and got a good coat on the big dogs ear. I'm sure it'll help, just a matter of how much.

View attachment 56151View attachment 56152View attachment 56153View attachment 56154View attachment 56155View attachment 56156
Good luck! Will the ointment stay damp or doesn't that matter? For the skin to absorb it I was thinking it might be easier if it stays moist. Although you could always add a few drops of vitamin E oil or any cooking oil to the mix if you needed it damp......if it dries out (which I'm not sure of)

Anyways thanks for the update I'm intrested to hear what happens.

@Peanut, I got your PM, but I will answer here, too.

What I would do…

Determine if it is a true hematoma or infection, which might not be easy to do. Regardless of whether it is an infection or hematoma, the affected area may feel warmer to the touch than surrounding areas. An infection may spread, though. Keeping an eye on body temperature with a thermometer may be a good idea.

If it is a hematoma, the danger of a large one may be dangerous because it may cause enough pressure on blood vessels to restrict blood flow. In that case, the vet’s advice in phideaux's post will help to prevent blood stagnation, etc. Good advice there!

Making a DIY “cone” or collar will help in keeping the medication in place and also to keep everything else intact. Check out the link below for some good DIY ideas.

Speaking of medication: Peanut, we are kindred spirits, me and you! Your choice of herbs are the same as I would pick. And, the Prep H is an awesome idea on so many levels, including its astringent properties and as a vehicle to hold the poultice in place. (I will be stealing this wonderful idea!)

EDITED TO ADD: Other herbs just popped into my mind: Prickly Ash bark in the poultice would be good to help stimulate and increase blood flow. So would thyme and rosemary. Thyme would be my top choice because of its antiseptic, antifungal, and anti-just-about everything that is harmful properties.

If it is a true infection, additional herbs and things would be in order, which would be a subject for a different post. :)

Additionally, I would probably apply warm poultices to help dilate blood vessels and improve circulation which will help to reduce pain, clear away inflammation and wound waste.

It might also be helpful to increase protein in the diet to speed rebuilding of damaged tissue: eggs and cottage cheese would be my choices. Especially eggs since they are a nearly perfect food that contain a wide variety of nutrients. Be careful not to overdo it so you don’t tax the kidneys.

Speaking of kidneys, it might be a great idea to encourage your furbaby to drink more than the usual amount of water to help the healing process and to move things along.

Maybe scramble a raw egg, along with a dollop or two of cottage cheese (if he likes it), and adding enough water to make a soupy mix. Also maybe make a soupy mix with low-sodium bone broth and chopped meats.

13 Simple DIY Dog E-Cones Everyone Could Make | Pet Side

Last edited:
@Grizzleyette___Adams Its not infected, been watching very close for that. There is no heat or skin discoloration. However, I am worried it might become infected.

I'd have already had him at the vet if it weren't a 3 day holiday weekend. Everyone is closed, even the vet emergency care clinic in the big town. The only place that is open is the Mississippi State School of Veterinary Medicine at the college and it's over 2hrs drive away. They have an excellent emergency dept for critters.

Unless there is some drastic change for the worse it'll be Monday morning when he sees the vet. Wish I could do better for him. :(

@Peanut how is Joe doing?

I mentioned it passing in the "doing today" thread, forgot to update here, thanks for the reminder.

My poultice of yarrow and plantain reduced the hematoma by half by monday morning. What was left was starting to harden so I carted him to the vet that morning.

They kept him over night and did the surgery. I picked him up yesterday. He's doing fine, not a happy camper but they gave him pain meds I have to give 2x a day. They usually knock him out for about 3hrs, then he wakes up grumpy.

The price was cheap, $103 which included surgery, a rabies shot, a bath and grooming, toenails trimmed. Saturday he had dragged up part of a deer carcass and reeked.

The girl who gave him a bath help me get him into the cage on my truck. She said "what on gods green earth has he been rolling in?" "You been burying bodies in your back yard?"... It was funny. And most importantly he no longer stinks like rotten flesh.

I've started to despise deer hunters... every winter it's the same... They kill a deer but don't want coyotes around where they are hunting. They pick out some side road out here in the country to dump entrails, hide etc... Usually near my house then Joe drags it up in the yard a few nights later when it's good and stinky. I have to cart it off with the front end loader and bury it. Mean while my dog stinks for the next 2 or 3 days..

Last edited:
Dang Peanut......I wish we had a vet like that near us. That's super cheap! Nice!:) The grooming alone around here likely would have cost that much.

We adopted a dog that had a scrunched up ear. The vet told us it's very common for dogs to have ear hematomas that burst and don't get the proper treatment. After it happens and heals, there's nothing to worry about, although that disfigurement is permanent. He was emaciated and not well socialized when we got him, so I don't think whomever had him before us took care of him at all. He needed surgery when we adopted him for a seperate issue. One of the best dogs we ever had! The sweetest little dude.......well behaved and absolutely ❤ lap time and snuggles.

So glad to hear everything is well with your pup!🐶

Noticed my old sheppard has a good sized ear hematoma this afternoon. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The net says take him for surgery? Seems pricey.
If he's shaking his head or beating at it with his paw, it will remain or continue. Might look up lancing it yourself, this is what many wrestlers do (cauliflower ear). Otherwise the procedure the vet will do is anesthesia (most of the cost of sx) lance it, put single stitches about every 3/4" for area of the hematoma (aka hema-tomato). If you lance it, it might not heal as flat, but would heal assuming just as with surgery (sx) that you can keep him from shaking his head or beating it with his paw. Just my observation: worked in a vet clinic for 6 years.

Today I got curious as to what exactly is in Prep H, so I checked the label and did a little research… Prep H is now a permanent member of my farm animal medical kit.

Prep H…

It's two active ingredients are Phenylephrine hcl and witch hazel.

Its inactive ingredients include Aloe barbadensis or Aloe Vera and Vitamin E

Phenylephrine hcl is a decongestant used in Sudafed. It’s used for the temporary relief of stuffy nose, sinus, and ear symptoms caused by the common cold, flu, allergies, or other breathing illnesses (e.g., sinusitis, bronchitis).

Witch hazel (aka Hamamelis virginiana) It's most famous for being a potent astringent, a drying agent. It also helps relieve pain from toothaches or teething in infants, prevent infection after oral surgery, and fight bleeding and inflammation from mouth sores. It also relieves topical burning and itching.

The main reason I used it is because 1) it’s sticky 2) a dog won’t lick it off, it must taste really bad.

Latest posts

Back