HELP FRODO! I GOOFED!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I went to put some leather dressing on my new rifle sling to waterproof it, but they were out of my brand, so the guy talked me into "Belt dressing" This crap is like spray adhesive or something! How do I get it off my sling? Alcohol isn't touching it!

Spray acrillic?
Damn, Wrap the sling around a pole and pull back and forth in a steady firm motion
The goal here is to wear the coat off of the sling
After you have worked the leather then access the damage
You most likely will have to restain and oil
Get some mink oil and run it in real good after you have saddle soaped and washed

That stuff turned it hard didn’t it?

No, it's "belt dressing" or was supposed to be. it was supposed to condition and waterproof leather, BUT it's like I polished the thing in corn syrup! I think I have a tin of mink oil somewhere. I may end up putting cooking oil on it, my 30$ sling is a mess!

Did he actually sell you automotive belt dressing?
Try leatehr condtioner. ther eis plenty sold for automtive appliations.
Even though the expensive can quickly add up.
And return whatever they sold you for money back. :)

Literally Sprayon. LOL food grade my butt!
sprayon.jpg

SP608 FOOD GRADE BELT DRESSING​

Sprayon SP608 Food Grade Belt Dressing is ideal for industrial, automotive and food processing applications. Highly-processed ingredients ensure increased RPM & horsepower, while reducing slippage. Will not glaze, collect dirt or dust. SP608 is effective in the prevention of dry or air rot. This formulation conditions belts while increasing pulling power.

Crap is for a fan belt not a rifle sling​

Well, the sling can be used on your lawn mower and you know the belt will not xlip

Belt dressing can be a makeshift flamethrower. Go outside with your handy little bong, er, cigarette lighter and spray the belt dressing through the flame. It should shoot a pinpoint flame about 6 or 8 feet. We used to use it for burning ant colonies out of cracks in concrete. Could come in handy for other purposes in a pinch. Or so I hear, anyway...

It's gone. I read a post by a guy who made the same mistake.
Now it feels slimy though, but that will wipe off.

My local leather guy is retiring and selling out but he never will open his damn doors!
On a side note, PAM makes a decent-looking leather dye...

I use Neetsfoot oil to treat my older dry leather, you can get it at an Ace hardware.
I blend a 20% neetsfoot
to80% bees wax for a leather dressing and waterproofing.
Use a hair dryer or heat gun to get it to really soak in then as Frodo says take a dry rag and buff the crap out of it.

How do you oil a neet's foot? Durr hurr hurr...
Really though, that sounds like a solid recipe! will it mix with vegetable-based oils? My Mauser has a WW2-era sling on it I mixed some out of date vitamin E and cooking oil into, it shows a few cracks, but is very supple and strong.

That cavernous hole in your avatar looks mighty familiar... I just had a gunsmith bead blast mine to kill the shine. it's ugly as sin now, but nothing reflects and I'll likely go to my grave with it. My fake ivory grips with the Dixie skull really stand out now!
SB pistol.png

That cavernous hole in your avatar looks mighty familiar... I just had a gunsmith bead blast mine to kill the shine. it's ugly as sin now, but nothing reflects and I'll likely go to my grave with it. My fake ivory grips with the Dixie skull really stand out now!
View attachment 119395
That Boy is missing his gun
He calls me twice a day.

I tried lookin up what a Neet was it was kinda like findin a Nauga fer the hide.
Turns out the Neets foot oil comes from the shin bones of cattle.

Latest posts

Back