Herbal Medicine Books - Sheepdog recommends

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Master Book of Herbalism by my good friend and master herbalist Paul Beyerl.
Paul teaches college level master herbalism classes in Washington State. He has and maintains his own garden and prepares a large and varied herbal assortment for sale.

Paul Beyerl is a Wiccan priest and a licensed master herbalist. It is correct to say he is a witch and he believes in magic. That does not take anything away from his knowledge of herbs. His state license allows him to prescribe herbal remedies. I know the man and it would be wrong to dismiss him for his religious beliefs.

Paul Beyerl is a Wiccan priest and a licensed master herbalist. It is correct to say he is a witch and he believes in magic. That does not take anything away from his knowledge of herbs. His state license allows him to prescribe herbal remedies. I know the man and it would be wrong to dismiss him for his religious beliefs.

THAT is FUNNY! :)

@SheepDog: is this the book you are referring to?

41jt9tvMJaL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here is the Amazon.com book description of The Master Book of Herbalism, by Paul Beyerl:

"Outstanding in its completeness, The Master Book of Herbalism fulfills a need that has long been felt by students of the magickal arts. In his sincere and gentle manner, Paul brings over 15 years experience as he writes about: the medicinal use of herbs, including illustrations of plants easily found in the wild; history and religious lore with specific background information on individual herbs; herb gathering and storage the magickal way; the herbalist as a magickal practitioner; incenses, oils, amulets, elixirs, balms and fluid condensers including detailed information on how to create them; herbs and their relationship with gemstones, etc.; herbal links with astrology and the tarot; rituals; the use of herbs in seasonal festivals, initiations, handfastings, purifications, etc."

You say that he does not list his religious uses...yet the front cover is dominated by a religious symbol. To each his own, and no snowflakery involved, but anyone reading the book's description will see "herb gathering and storage the magickal way ... as a magickal praactitioner"... astrology, tarots, rituals and the use of herbs in seasonal festivals, initiations, handfastings, purifications, etc." isn't everyone's cup of tea.

It would get pretty tiresome to wade through all of that. Most herbalists want to learn about the plants, not religious props.

Thank you

The choice is yours. To dismiss a very good book because of a review written by a third party or because it has an ancient symbol of healing (used by the Hebrew and not the inverted pentagram of witchcraft) is accepting ignorance as good and right.
It reminds me of when people were burning books that were written in German during WWII. A neighbor ran out yelling for them to stop. He picked up a book and held it in his hands and when they tried to forcefully put it in the fire he said - "it is the Bible" and the people realized what they had done.

All throughout His life Jesus taught us love and acceptance. That is the path I try to follow, the path that He laid out for us. I recommend that you educate yourself before you place judgement where God's judgement belongs.

Of all the attributes love is the greatest, for if a man has faith to move mountains, without love he is as nothing.

You have no idea what the book contains. You have made up your mind without opening your eyes to see. That is your choice.

I base ALL of my Amazon book purchases on three (or four) things: 1) referrals from friends, 2) the publisher's own book description, 3) the three-star reviews, and 4) a browse into the book itself through Amazon's preview function.

Methinks you are getting a bit butthurt and making too much over the fact that not everyone will appreciate this particular book for their own personal reasons.

I am not injured at all. I will stand up for the truth and my friends. Just the way I am.

BACH Flower Therapy;Theory and Practice by Mechthild Scheffer from the works of Dr. Bach and translated to English.

Latest posts

Back