HIGH PRIORITY PREPPING PRIORITIES....????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is, are they stupid? or evil?

Because I think they do actually know the problems....these people are high educated. They have done the math. I think they know full well its impossible to scale up. I think the real plan is just to scale down everything else.

Which I admit, may be inevitable anyway just from simple laws of thermodynamics, but of course, if everyone sees it coming at the same time, It's us that have the advantage, rather than them.
I assess they are mostly stupid.

There are very few technically qualified people at the most senior levels of government........and their motivation is all about how to get re-elected by a populous that becomes less well educated (on average and in aggregate) every year.

That makes a certain amount of sense but if that is the case they should have put everyone on blood thinners ( or prescribed aspirin) for at least a short amount of time after taking the vaccine. Plus didn't lung problems kill most people from covid? It would be interesting to know if my cousin would also have had a stroke if she had not had the vaccine and gotten covid. To me it seems like younger people should not have gotten the vaccine period. After all mostly ( percentage wise) old people in nursing homes died from the actual covid.
It probably would have helped those people, the problem was, they didn't figure out the vaccine caused blood clots right away, because it was incredibly rare and only the J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines where found to cause them.

Blood thinners seem to help people with severe covid a lot, but again, it took time to figure that out. A lot of what happened was a best guess at a rapidly changing situation.....filtered through politics. Remember, this was the fastest vaccine ever made....and it was still way too slow to actually stop the virus. Our technology is not nearly up to the task of handling a emerging virus in a useful timeframe yet.

The idea of giving the vaccine to young people, was to keep them from getting the virus, and spreading it.

Of course it turned out, the virus almost immediatly mutated so that it was able to spread from vaccinated or previous infected people so that plan failed too.

In the end, although a individual could do a lot to effect if they got covid or not, society itself handled it no better than if it had done nothing.

In the end, although a individual could do a lot to effect if they got covid or not, society itself handled it no better than if it had done nothing.

Which really makes me wonder if 'public health' is even really possible at all. I'm not sure humans as a whole, have enough self control for it to matter how much we 'know' about health...because there is a big disconnect between what we know, and what we do. We all know 100% effective ways of preventing drug deaths, DUI deaths, accidental pregnancies, accidental shootings...etc.....yet these things happen hundreds of thousands, even millions of times a year. We have a weird paradox where knowledge can be 100% effective, and useless at the same time.

Which I think brings us back to prepping......maybe the number one priority, is simply deciding not to be self destructive.

this may be the way to go but gas mileage would be my concern as many jeeps i seen get crappy mpg.

jkhalftop1.jpg
I think a lot of that is due to all the mods people do to jeeps these days bigger tires and all. I have a 95 wrangler all stock 4cylender and get about 25 mpg. A buddy of mine has the same year and every thing but he’s lifted it and put bigger tires on it and gets 13-14

Which I think brings us back to prepping......maybe the number one priority, is simply deciding not to be self destructive.
And even if you do everything right, you are still going to die in the end..
plus there is such a thing as bad luck or whatever you wish to call it
Some people get hit by a falling tree, lightening, or drunk driver , most people don't
We never got covid and had the first 2 vaccines. Stopped after all the bad news about the vaccine came out.

I think a lot of that is due to all the mods people do to jeeps these days bigger tires and all. I have a 95 wrangler all stock 4cylender and get about 25 mpg. A buddy of mine has the same year and every thing but he’s lifted it and put bigger tires on it and gets 13-14
great info @Bluetick21 thanks for sharing your mileage. i agree about the stock thing..i hate vehicles that change the tire stuff etc and jack ups. the vehicle was not designed for all that crap. had a co worker jack a dodge truck up. it put pressure on bearings in transfer case and transmission and it blew those bearings out regular.

Last edited:
Okay, 20 years ago a guy I knew showed me a graph of how much gasoline the US burns each year, to switch all that "oil" to clean electricity you would need to build 100 nuc plants per year for decades. The idea of using solar panels is a nice dream, but to have enough power from them you would need to cover twice the space of the rooftops of every house in the US and you would need a similar number (10s or 100s of 1000s) of Natural Gas turbines to cover the shortfalls at night... All of these Utopian ideas from the greenies can work on a small scale as long as there are hidden stable resources shoring them up, but to scale them up to cover everything is beyond anything they can imagine. It is easier for them to preach the Green Religion than it is for them to acknowledge that there are problems with their plans..... Until you acknowledge a problem you cannot solve it.

The car industry is investing billions on EV plants, they are selling them at a loss (even with Govt supports), and they are trying to make it up with volume, what could possibly go wrong?
In 2019, the US burned through 146.29 billion barrels of gasoline.
The estimated fuel economy of the country in 2019 was 24.9mpg.
That works out to 3.64 x 10^12 miles.

2019 energy production in the US was 29.4 x 10^6 GWh.

If we swap in a Ford Mach E as “the average US consumer EV”, it needs 292 kWh to go 1000 miles. It would have used 1.06 x 10^6 GWh of electricity in 2019. (bc It’s a cross over EV. use a Hummer for the worst case scenario, or a Tesla3 for the best case)

1.06 / 29.4 = 0.036

So in simple terms, if all the miles driven by consumer vehicles in 2019 were done by Mach Es, we would need 4% more electricity production. Even if you throw in 20% losses between the power plant and the EV battery that’s still only a 4.5% increase.

People act like production needs to double overnight and that’s simply not true. Hell the current grid could handle 50% overnight adoption if charging happened over 8 hours every night at home, instead of waiting days or a week and then demanding 300 mile charge in 5 minutes.

People act like production needs to double overnight and that’s simply not true. Hell the current grid could handle 50% overnight adoption if charging happened over 8 hours every night at home, instead of waiting days or a week and then demanding 300 mile charge in 5 minutes.

I'm just thinking about how often I need to fill up my truck....per day.....when I'm using it.

A truck I bought for $3000........

EVs are not a drag and drop replacement.....they would be a complete lifestyle change. One I'm not even sure I could do if I wanted.

I think we would be better off using electricity to make synthetic gasoline than charging batteries. Batteries are such a terrible energy storage media for vehicles its hard to view it as anything but a dead end technology.

So in simple terms, if all the miles driven by consumer vehicles in 2019 were done by Mach Es, we would need 4% more electricity production. Even if you throw in 20% losses between the power plant and the EV battery that’s still only a 4.5% increase.
This seems too good to be true.....27% of total current US energy consumption is for transportation.

According to this....its a 20-50% increase in production that is needed. I'm not awake enough yet to say where you went wrong with your math....but its a pretty stark difference.

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-m...parison, it would,kWh of electricity in 2019.

This seems too good to be true.....27% of total current US energy consumption is for transportation.

According to this....its a 20-50% increase in production that is needed. I'm not awake enough yet to say where you went wrong with your math....but its a pretty stark difference.

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-m...parison, it would,kWh of electricity in 2019.
Could be source data. I didn’t see a citation for where they got theres, and mine isn’t perfect by any means. Another source I trust came up with 25% last year so I probably got low ball numbers somewhere.

Also maybe a difference between total transportation vs just consumer vehicles? My example was purely for consumer non-commercial transportation. Out of my rear, I could see commercial vehicles making up another 20%.

Last edited:
I'm just thinking about how often I need to fill up my truck....per day.....when I'm using it.

A truck I bought for $3000........

EVs are not a drag and drop replacement.....they would be a complete lifestyle change. One I'm not even sure I could do if I wanted.

I think we would be better off using electricity to make synthetic gasoline than charging batteries. Batteries are such a terrible energy storage media for vehicles its hard to view it as anything but a dead end technology.
They’re not 1 size fits all. Just like a Chevy Spark, Corvette, and Silverado meet different needs. Plug in hybrid is going to be the long term intermediate future, and actually included in the “ban ICE“ roadmap. Relatively small battery packs that give 30-50 miles of electric range, which is perfect for a huge segment of the population. Then an ICE for those times when more is needed.
Compare the F150 powertrains for a good comparison of capability and use cases. The Powerboost (hybrid but not plug-in) gets better mpg than the small 2.7L, but has capability closer to the 3.5L.

Last edited:
I disagree. I have taken all of my Covid shots, including all the boosters (as well as influenza, pneumonia, and even singles), as has Dawn. Neither of us (ages 78 and 66) has ever had a stroke, or even heart palpitations.

But, since 2018, I have been losing my hair; now I look like a medieval monk. That balding head is NOT evidence for Covid vaccinations causality; neither is an isolated report of a stroke...

... any more than my expanding waistline is caused by Dawn's getting that KitchenAid lift-bowl mixer for her pie-crusts LOL!
Each shot made me progressively sicker. Done with covid vacs.

I'm still amazed at the level of complete lack of acceptance at the damage the vaccines have caused
Not surprising; there are people who believe that the vaccine is a modern cure-all with neither contraindications nor side-effects. There are also people who believe that vaccines (at least some of them) are seriously flawed, and the chances are excellent that a patient will suffer some sort of serious side-effect -- up to and including death.

They are both wrong; the obvious answer, as my colleague Mr. Aerindel so succinctly states, is that both sides are somewhat right.

It is disappointing that, despite what we know today, that most people have some sort of black-vs.-white view of life. It 's a macrocosm of the entire vaccine debate; you're all either all good or all bad.

Examples: All "Democrats/liberals" are communists. All "Republican/conservatives" are fascists. Guns? "If you don't want one, then don't get one", say some. "Abortions? If you don't want one, then don't get one", say others.

We Americans -- probably more than any other civilized nation on Earth -- tend to look at people who disagree with us as the Enemy. If you vote for your guy and I vote for mine, then not only am I wrong, but I'm evil! We tend to think that anyone who disagrees with us is probably either the Devil incarnate, or at least a complete traitor, fool, and probably has bad breath.

Here's my idea (although it's somewhat difficult for us to do): Do real research; not by listening to online trolls such as Morning Joe of Tucker Carlson. Both of them are professional liars who are smart enough to know how to get you to agree with them: just tell you (and me) what we want to hear.

If you can assume that just because Anderson Cooper or Jeanine Pirro quack their mischief knowing that we're too stupid to see their taurine excrement, then turn them both off for a week or so and look at all sides of the question.

Of course, this takes us out of our comfort zone, and we might have to accept that (ghasp!!) we need to re-evaluate our cherished beliefs -- if we're really doing our research.

You want truth, or you want comfort and schadenfreude? It's your choice.

Last edited:
To some point I agree with you. But I form my opinions without the help of tv windbags regardless of the topic. As far as the vax's go, they didn't stop or even slow down the vid. They did however seriously injure or kill many folks. Not all but many, including some members of this site, or members of their family.
I know you disagree and that's fine. Likely not the only topic. And that's ok too.

We Americans -- probably more than any other civilized nation on Earth -- tend to look at people who disagree with us as the Enemy. If you vote for your guy and I vote for mine, then not only am I wrong, but I'm evil! We tend to think that anyone who disagrees with us is probably either the Devil incarnate, or at least a complete traitor, fool, and probably has bad breath.

I think it's just human nature.

I feel I am 'rational' in most things, but I need to have something to mindlessly hate just as much as anyone else. I've picked Russians. I try to let it all out on Russians so I can be more objective about other things.

@Old Whatshisname, I agree with much of what you say. A person does need to do his or her own research, but that is often difficult and/or time-consuming. What I have learned by doing my own research into some topics has been eye-opening: the news media, on the left and the right, are full of ****. This breeds contempt and distrust.

This is like anything else online nowadays, you can't really know what is fact and what is political propaganda. Are the numbers true? Or are they manipulated statistics? It's like the amount of oil left on the planet. You can get into discussions about it, but nobody can actually proof 100% that THEIR numbers are the correct ones. I have seen several that say we will run out of oil in the next 50 years if nothing changes, but then others say there is way more there. I think maybe only the top scientists working for .gov and the oil companies know the real truth. Everyone has an agenda and everyone can post whatever on the internet

I think it's just human nature.

I feel I am 'rational' in most things, but I need to have something to mindlessly hate just as much as anyone else. I've picked Russians. I try to let it all out on Russians so I can be more objective about other things.
Leave the poor Russians be....lol they can't even take over one small little country...it's not China either.....

The real evil imo is the elite that runs the western world

It is almost as though some sophisticated misinformation program has been used on the US public to create division (and a divided house must fall).......so who could do such a thing to 335 million people?
We have met the enemy and he is us --Pogo

My grandmother gave me advice that is applicable in all areas. You can't be used unless you let them use you.

This is like anything else online nowadays, you can't really know what is fact and what is political propaganda. Are the numbers true? Or are they manipulated statistics? It's like the amount of oil left on the planet. You can get into discussions about it, but nobody can actually proof 100% that THEIR numbers are the correct ones. I have seen several that say we will run out of oil in the next 50 years if nothing changes, but then others say there is way more there. I think maybe only the top scientists working for .gov and the oil companies know the real truth. Everyone has an agenda and everyone can post whatever on the internet

Yep. I heard the term "Post-truth world" and I have to agree.

It used to be there where 'facts' and knowing them was power.

Now, all facts are so suspect, they border on uselessness in any interaction with other people.

The only people who will belive your facts, are people who already share your beliefs. And its only getting worse.

I read a sci-fi book a few years ago about a near future America that was so radically divided by misinformation, that different political parties had different MAPS.....because some people believed that a certain city had been destroyed by a nuclear bomb, and some people did not, following a fairly simple hoax....but one that a great many people believed.

The internet was essentially non-existant, because it got to the point where there where thousands of fake pieces of information for every one fact with no way to easily tell them apart, so people stopped using it in anything like its current form.

I'm not sure we are very far from that point.

It used to be you couldn't trust people online, because for all you knew that girl you where talking to was some 40 year old guy named chuck.

That almost seems quaint at this point, when the person you are talking to could be a Russian AI and not even a person of any kind.

Last edited:
The people that cry "peak oil" have their own private jets and/or are driving an agenda. The only reason we have a shortage of oil is because the democraps shut down whole areas.

You don't hear the oil companies crying peak oil. The oil companies keep looking for, and finding, more oil. The oil companies keep developing new and better oil extraction technology. They are even able to go back and rework old wells. I think that the people saying that we have hundreds of years of fuel are right. That is with just the oil, gas, and coal that we have currently located. There are massive deposits of methane that we haven't even started to tap.

its not peak oil..its man made peak refinement...meaning no new refineries been built since the 70's here...oil people like it and want it that way...to keep prices high and all of us under there thumb....a handful getting richer bleeding us dry daily for the most basic and largest bulk volume of basics in a modern society.

hope they choke on it !

Last edited:
http://www.worldometers.info/oil/#:...rves,levels and excluding unproven reserves).
here is a good example, posted this before
truth or lie?
Where are you getting your info from if you don't believe these numbers? And how do you know your numbers are any better?

( and no, obviously I can't prove any of those numbers but it would make sense that there is a limited amount of resources on the planet to me, and more and more people mean less and less of them. You burn oil, it's gone)

its not peak oil..its man made peak refinement...meaning no new refineries been built since the 70's here...oil people like it and want it that way...to keep prices high and all of us under there thumb....a handful getting richer bleeding us dry daily for the most basic and largest bulk volume of basics in a modern society.

hope the choke on it !

I would like to know where you get your information from. Seriously. How do you know that what you believe is true? ( NOT trying to start an argument)

I want to say one more thing on the disinformation thing: if someone holds a believe they personally cannot prove in any way for a very long time, even if someone else had the proof and showed it to them, they would try anything they could to not believe it and make any excuse in the world to say it is not true. This is the way humanity is. They don't ever want to be wrong and let go of something they believe in.
So it is very easy to post things online and tons of people will believe it, because it fits into their world view
( this goes for all people not just liberals)

I would like to know where you get your information from. Seriously. How do you know that what you believe is true? ( NOT trying to start an argument)
I won't try and answer for Elkhound. Just throw in what I know.

There hasn't been any new refineries but in years. Government regulations have made that near impossible. Everytime there is a hurricane in some areas those refineries get shutdown. Fire or explosion same thing. Even freezing weather in Texas a year or two back. What happens, production drops, prices shoot up, supplies dwindle. With all these factors in play, why wouldn't more refineries be built.
Same with crude production, why take known reserves out of the equation to cause shortages and higher prices?
Its about control.

It is almost as though some sophisticated misinformation program has been used on the US public to create division (and a divided house must fall).......so who could do such a thing to 335 million people?
For most folks, the disdain they have for Russia comes from what our news media and politicians have told us. I don't really think Igor and Svetlana hate the U.S. so much...people are people just trying to live.

The real evil imo is the elite that runs the western world
It goes beyond the Western world, and they're not elite; they're sewer-dwellers.

I won't try and answer for Elkhound. Just throw in what I know.

There hasn't been any new refineries but in years. Government regulations have made that near impossible. Everytime there is a hurricane in some areas those refineries get shutdown. Fire or explosion same thing. Even freezing weather in Texas a year or two back. What happens, production drops, prices shoot up, supplies dwindle. With all these factors in play, why wouldn't more refineries be built.
Same with crude production, why take known reserves out of the equation to cause shortages and higher prices?
Its about control.
yep..one was built in texas recently and came on line but theres not been a significant one built since 76. this has been subject of papers and news for decades.

they love shutdowns and so much more to jack prices up. our fuel costs would be so low if not for sanctions against Venezuela..at one point something like 60some percent we burned was from there...but..nooo. we dont like folks in charge so we sanction them. i dont care what they do with the money..we need the resource to have an industrial society if we are going to keep it going.

sanctions are against rules of bible handed down for life by YHWH. if you dont like something and dont want to buy or spend your money at a place..then dont but dont be deciding for me and stop me from buying from who or what i want to.

its like Pearl telling me not to buy apples from Backpacker...lol..yea right...so she blocks the road going to his farm preventing me from the apples i want. we dont mind buying oil from middle east and you tell me we shouldnt buy from Venezuela...pfffttttt...go tell that crap to a kindergartner..i aint having none of it..i want cheap oil..this country would function better with and be more productive if gas was $1-1.50 like it should be. i dont care if its Ukraine,Russian,African or from purple martians..pump that oil...expand refining and more holding capacity around the country.

i am setting up for long term stuff on many levels and i am adjusting my life going into my older years to live cheaper and be more centrally located to things i will be doing and wont be doing. designing new small home with that and aging in spot in mind too.because you cant get anything hired out here anymore.

fleecing of american society !...dang i may rant later yall...lol

sorry @Pearl you had to be the bad girl in my fiction example....lol

Latest posts

Back