HIGH PRIORITY PREPPING PRIORITIES....????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't try and answer for Elkhound. Just throw in what I know.

There hasn't been any new refineries but in years. Government regulations have made that near impossible. Everytime there is a hurricane in some areas those refineries get shutdown. Fire or explosion same thing. Even freezing weather in Texas a year or two back. What happens, production drops, prices shoot up, supplies dwindle. With all these factors in play, why wouldn't more refineries be built.
Same with crude production, why take known reserves out of the equation to cause shortages and higher prices?
Its about control.

I have never heard of a new refinery being built anywhere, so that part if most likely true, but just assume for a minute the oil companies and .gov know there is only a limited supply of oil left. Why bother spending millions or more to build a new refinery that will be obsolete in a relatively short amount of time?
What if they all know for sure the oil is running out, and they are doing everything they can to reduce usage until some good alternative is found?
I think maybe nobody in charge has a good solution to the current problems and none of the politicians ever tell anyone the truth because they would not get reelected, so we will never know until it happens ( oil runs out) which most likely none of us on this list will be alive but our kids and grandkids might be
I wonder what this planet is going to be like in 50 years if it's still there

I wonder what this planet is going to be like in 50 years if it's still there
i have been wanting to do a thread about what others think or see in future as a post industrial society looks like and describe what that looks like. i will do it eventually..but right now i have an appointment with a mtn this afternoon...lol..sweat,stink and get in shape ! its my #1 long term prep for now.

its not peak oil..its man made peak refinement...meaning no new refineries been built since the 70's here...oil people like it and want it that way...to keep prices high and all of us under there thumb....a handful getting richer bleeding us dry daily for the most basic and largest bulk volume of basics in a modern society.

hope they choke on it !
Oil companies are in business to make a profit. I'm okay with that. If they don't make a profit they go out of business and we have no oil. Three years ago gas at the pump was way lower than it is today. The oil companies are no responsible for the XL Pipeline being stopped on day one, oil exploration stopped, increased regulation of oil companies and refineries, other pipelines being shut down, Nordstream 1 &2 being blown up, dams being decommissioned, inflation. These and more are reasons for increased energy prices going up. These are democrat policies.

The democrats may be choking on it but so are we. Several years ago I ran into a guy at the airport complaining about the evil oil companies. I pointed out that he held investments in oil companies. He denied having oil stocks. "You're a teacher aren't you?" "Yes, what does that have to do with it?" "Your retirement plan holds oil stocks." He went ballistic. When he figured out that we were on the same plane he about blew a gasket. He made sure to sit far as possible from me on the plane. He saw me at baggage claim and could barely hold back his anger. We both evidently kept our cars at the same parking lot. When he saw me get on his shuttle that was all he could take. He decided to wait for the next shuttle. At this point I hadn't spoken a word to him in over two hours. I never used foul language or an angry tone.

.but right now i have an appointment with a mtn this afternoon...lol..sweat,stink and get in shape ! its my #1 long term prep for now.
You go kick that mountains "ASS".

To those who don't really know "elkhound", I'll disclose he is one of a small handful of those who long ago mastered, then moved beyond the fundamentals of prepping, to embracing the physical punishment needed to stealthily and painfully glide up mountains, like the just barely perceptible rising of morning fog.

A long absent core of prepping is mastering physical pain, emotional anguish of becoming "fog". Physical endurance might trump prepping supplies.

Oil companies are in business to make a profit. I'm okay with that. If they don't make a profit they go out of business and we have no oil. Three years ago gas at the pump was way lower than it is today. The oil companies are no responsible for the XL Pipeline being stopped on day one, oil exploration stopped, increased regulation of oil companies and refineries, other pipelines being shut down, Nordstream 1 &2 being blown up, dams being decommissioned, inflation. These and more are reasons for increased energy prices going up. These are democrat policies.

The democrats may be choking on it but so are we. Several years ago I ran into a guy at the airport complaining about the evil oil companies. I pointed out that he held investments in oil companies. He denied having oil stocks. "You're a teacher aren't you?" "Yes, what does that have to do with it?" "Your retirement plan holds oil stocks." He went ballistic. When he figured out that we were on the same plane he about blew a gasket. He made sure to sit far as possible from me on the plane. He saw me at baggage claim and could barely hold back his anger. We both evidently kept our cars at the same parking lot. When he saw me get on his shuttle that was all he could take. He decided to wait for the next shuttle. At this point I hadn't spoken a word to him in over two hours. I never used foul language or an angry tone.
profits are ok...but killings are something else..record profits with lowest production and supposed highest producing costs ever in history...its bullship..the math doesnt workout...no to mention all the subsides and much more tax breaks and so much much more they get.

america has become amercorp...corps control d.c. and do as they please.

its making basics hard to deal with like my post about the jack donkey dirty bastards that changed state law and allowed my local co -op electric that provided cheap power to be sold and now our electric is on a run away train price wise..pure corruption and greed and when one starts it then it just cascades..hell man in 94 in petersburg the meter maid checking parked cars on main street earned $20/hr. i like to know what she makes now....lol

i am to the point i dont give a blank and i wont do it or participate in the mess. i buy the least amount i can and have for several years.

they better not rely on old elkhound to stimulate the economy on any level...sitting it out for now...going to draw my ss at 62 to try and recoop what was taken over the years from my checks before i kick the bucket....4.5 years to go.

You go kick that mountains "ASS".

To those who don't really know "elkhound", I'll disclose he is one of a small handful of those who long ago mastered, then moved beyond the fundamentals of prepping, to embracing the physical punishment needed to stealthily and painfully glide up mountains, like the just barely perceptible rising of morning fog.

A long absent core of prepping is mastering physical pain, emotional anguish of becoming "fog". Physical endurance might trump prepping supplies.
i mashed it and it mashed me as well. it hit 80f..i had on long-sleeve sunshirt and my t-shirt. i was soaked through them and my slingpack was wet to..had to stop and wring out my head sweatband it wouldnt hold anymore water from me..wrung it out and motored on...i am gaining on it Sourdough !

p.s. i have a big field report for you later on...i got chores to do before dark.

i have been wanting to do a thread about what others think or see in future as a post industrial society looks like and describe what that looks like.

My house. It looks like my house....(or at least I think so, which is why I made it this way)

i have been wanting to do a thread about what others think or see in future as a post industrial society looks like and describe what that looks like. i will do it eventually..but right now i have an appointment with a mtn this afternoon...lol..sweat,stink and get in shape ! its my #1 long term prep for now.

I somehow misses this comment until Aerindel quoted it. That would make for an interesting thread. Like Aerindel, I have my thoughts too which has shaped my little piece of heaven on earth. Aerindel admittedly has my place beat as far as infrastructure. But I will save further comments for your thread when you start it.

profits are ok...but killings are something else..record profits with lowest production and supposed highest producing costs ever in history...its bullship..the math doesnt workout...no to mention all the subsides and much more tax breaks and so much much more they get.
You got that part right. Being a stockholder of evil oil companies, I can say that the years of $38/bbl oil and $1.69/gal gas had them on the ropes...
Then the magic dropped into the whitehouse🤪.
Trust me, with $100/bbl oil and $5/gal gas, they will make bank! :thumbs:
(Remember, my mantra: if they are taking tons of money from us, take some back from them)
Edit: BTW... the evil power company pays me 3x what I pay them every month. Don't get mad, get even! :waiting:

Last edited:
You got that part right. Being a stockholder of evil oil companies, I can say that the years of $38/bbl oil and $1.69/gal gas had them on the ropes...
Then the magic dropped into the whitehouse🤪.
Trust me, with $100/bbl oil and $5/gal gas, they will make bank! :thumbs:
(Remember, my mantra: if they are taking tons of money from us, take some back from them)
Edit: BTW... the evil power company pays me 3x what I pay them every month. Don't get mad, get even! :waiting:
Don't feel bad, husband has lots of stock from the evil defense contractor, Ukraine war is making us profits...

I have a question about oil: isn't it traded on the world market? So if a bbl of oil costs a certain amount in the US, won't it cost the same everywhere else also?
I don't know exactly how this works. Any idea?
I mean if the US does not allow new let's just say "oil infrastructure" , what is to stop other countries from producing all the oil they want and selling it? Or does our current government not allow oil from certain countries like Russia so price went up?

Don't feel bad, husband has lots of stock from the evil defense contractor, Ukraine war is making us profits...
I have a question about oil: isn't it traded on the world market? So if a bbl of oil costs a certain amount in the US, won't it cost the same everywhere else also?
I don't know exactly how this works. Any idea?
I mean if the US does not allow new let's just say "oil infrastructure" , what is to stop other countries from producing all the oil they want and selling it? Or does our current government not allow oil from certain countries like Russia so price went up?
The price is global, but don't forget to add 'shipping'.
The 'net' price is higher for us if we get it from overseas, and cheaper if we produce it locally.
Shutting down new drilling here was completely stupid. :mad:
Oil has been touching into the $82-zone today.:oops:

Last edited:
The price is global, but don't forget to add 'shipping'.
The 'net' price is higher for us if we get it from overseas, and cheaper if we produce it locally.
Shutting down new drilling here was completely stupid. :mad:
Oil has been touching into the $82-zone today.:oops:
I looked it up, said on several websites that the US gets most of its oil imports from Canada by far, second is Mexico. So the shipping shouldn't be that much. Alaska is further and shipping would cost more I would imagine
What else I don't understand is that the US also exports oil. Huh? How does that make sense? Why import someone else's oil and export your own? Are there differences between types of oil?
what else surprised me that lots of countries have a little bit of oil, even countries in Europe besides Norway, didn't know that
It also had a list of US States that produced the most oil, which included California. That really surprised me. Where is it coming from, the ocean? Surprised the government there hasn't shut it down

What else I don't understand is that the US also exports oil. Huh? How does that make sense? Why import someone else's oil and export your own? Are there differences between types of oil?
Yes, there are many different types of 'crude oil'. They are not the same.
From heavy, to light-sweet, crude.
Heavy to make diesel, light to make gasoline.
Everybody went nuts when they found out that we were pumping 'oil' out of the SPR and selling it.gaah
We were actually exchanging heavy, for light, because we needed to make gasoline more than diesel.
So yes, we were exporting and importing 'oil' at the same time.

For most folks, the disdain they have for Russia comes from what our news media and politicians have told us. I don't really think Igor and Svetlana hate the U.S. so much...people are people just trying to live.

I have actually spent quite a lot of time in Russia during the last decade (working).

I have met many Igors and Svetlanas.........and they do indeed mostly hate the US.

They have that hate because they have been subject to the same misinformation programs that have been used on the US public.

Misinformation is a cost-effective form of warfare that fits in well in a cold war environment.

People in the US need to understand that the cold war never ended........it just had a short cease fire.

I have actually spent quite a lot of time in Russia during the last decade (working).

I have met many Igors and Svetlanas.........and they do indeed mostly hate the US.

They have that hate because they have been subject to the same misinformation programs that have been used on the US public.

Misinformation is a cost-effective form of warfare that fits in well in a cold war environment.

People in the US need to understand that the cold war never ended........it just had a short cease fire.

I don't have your first hand experience, but everything I have read supports this. Putin is not some anomaly...he is a representative of his people.

The cruelty is not Putin’s. The rapes, murders, gouged eyes, hangings, and burned corpses aren’t special tactics employed by Russia’s leader. It is Russia as a whole.

„The majority of Russians are to blame,“ says Sinisalu.

They Aren’t Like Us

„They only respect force,“ says Jauniškis, „and if you answer theirs with your own, then you might even become friends.“ The principle is diametrically opposed to the suit-and-tie diplomacy and ordinary negotiations to which the West is accustomed.

„For Russia, both sides winning equals a loss,“ remarks an Estonian entrepreneur who has organized complex business transactions with Russians for decades. „They need for there to always be winners and losers, even when negotiating.“ And only they may come out on top.

„There, diplomacy is a sign of weakness,“ says Mežviets. „Russia only recognizes force. It’s hard for the West to understand, as Westerners hold different values and believe that others do as well.“

Jauniškis compares contemporary Russian society to the medieval Mongols. Though Lithuania once joined forces with Russian princes to counter the Mongolian hordes, he feels that Russia switched sides given the behavior of its officers and soldiers alike. „They’re animals,“ he frankly states.

„I don’t want to think so primitively; to believe such evil could truly exist in Russian society,“ Peeter tells me. „I’d like to believe something nobler. But it’s simply the truth.“

https://vsquare.org/baltic-counterin...y-war-history/

Depends oin location.
Some locations defense is critical.
Other not as much.

Others need to move to a retreat others are already there.

So between food/water/shelter its hard to pick one.
Defensive gear in combination with physical fitness or at least health are also critical.

I looked it up, said on several websites that the US gets most of its oil imports from Canada by far, second is Mexico. So the shipping shouldn't be that much. Alaska is further and shipping would cost more I would imagine
what else surprised me that lots of countries have a little bit of oil, even countries in Europe besides Norway, didn't know that
It also had a list of US States that produced the most oil, which included California. That really surprised me. Where is it coming from, the ocean? Surprised the government there hasn't shut it down
When we reduce production there is less oil on the market so prices go up. When we print trillions of dollars, while producing less we have inflation, and oil prices go up.

Some locations defense is critical.
Defense is ALWAYS critical.

How much work it is, depends.

Or better put:

"Security may be 10% of the problem, or 90% or anything between, but its always the FIRST 10% or FIRST 90% because without it, none of the rest of your plans are likely to happen"- Lieutenant colonel John Paul Vann,

I don't have your first hand experience, but everything I have read supports this. Putin is not some anomaly...he is a representative of his people.

https://vsquare.org/baltic-counterin...y-war-history/
Yes.....and to be fair to the average Russian, the current regime has amplified the hatred using propaganda.....because the tough life in Russia, being someone else's fault, is a convenient mindset.

10 minutes..dave is retired army..might be bits and pieces for you maybe not...mhh...chew up whats useful for you and spit the bones out...if nothing useful..well travel on.

10 minutes..dave is retired army..might be bits and pieces for you maybe not...mhh...chew up whats useful for you and spit the bones out...if nothing useful..well travel on.

OK........for starters, stores in Russia have never been "packed with US products. They are packed at best with Chinese and Russian products. There were some US branded products there (like Coke/Pepsi etc) but those were locally made under license. Even if genuine US made products could get to Russia, the average Russian could not afford them - they are just not paid well enough. Most middle aged to older Russians won't buy US branded products.

The US citizens that previously worked in the Russian offices of their US owned employer, have now almost all come home. They did this because being a foreigner in Russian is now somewhere between very uncomfortable and downright dangerous.

The borders could be shut at any time.......and most people don't want to work in such a place.

To put it in perspective, when younger Russians in Moscow previously went to McDonalds there, it was for a special meal......because almost none of them could afford to eat there regularly.

In the world of propaganda, there is even a term for people like the guy in the video and/or his "friend".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

Last edited:
Defense is ALWAYS critical.

How much work it is, depends.

Or better put:

"Security may be 10% of the problem, or 90% or anything between, but its always the FIRST 10% or FIRST 90% because without it, none of the rest of your plans are likely to happen"- Lieutenant colonel John Paul Vann,
That's probably true, but most of us , probably even you, don't have a small army or a RPG to shoot down a drone that will drop something on you
This is exactly why I have sort of stopped preparing for SHTF, no point, you can't win unless you are lucky or hide in the woods by yourself in a cave or something

here is our plan: fit in and take advantage of the regime, whatever it might be, as best as you can. All my German relatives in WWII except 1 grandpa survived by just keeping their heads down and doing what they were told

Last edited:
When we reduce production there is less oil on the market so prices go up. When we print trillions of dollars, while producing less we have inflation, and oil prices go up.
That makes total sense. But I still disagree with you on producing more oil in the US. I think we should save it and use everyone else's ( since it is sold on the world market) and then when everyone else runs out and there is oil wars, the US still have oil to run its military.
Creating trillions of $ however needs to stop. They don't even print them , it's just imaginary digital money.

That's probably true, but most of us , probably even you, don't have a small army or a RPG to shoot down a drone that will drop something on you

Most of us, don't have the problem of a being targeted by a small army or drone.

And no military has the resources to attack every homestead with a small army. The math does not support it. We have nothing a small army wants bad enough, to spend the resources to take it.

That makes total sense. But I still disagree with you on producing more oil in the US. I think we should save it and use everyone else's ( since it is sold on the world market) and then when everyone else runs out and there is oil wars, the US still have oil to run its military.
Completely agree.

Most of us, don't have the problem of a being targeted by a small army or drone.

And no military has the resources to attack every homestead with a small army. The math does not support it. We have nothing a small army wants bad enough, to spend the resources to take it.

Completely agree.
That's true, but think about what Stalin did to farmers when he got in power. Or Mao or other bad regimes . They often get their land taken and get removed by force. BUt you are right, probably both of us don't have enough to make it worth it for them We have crappy steep mountain pasture, old equipment, no proper utilities and a old house
But, depending on who gets in power, they could turn this into some nature only area, and raise our taxes so we can't pay them, and then remove us by force because we can't pay them...
I don't worry about "city hordes" coming here to get us or the random crackhead , I worry about the real threats ( authorities). Most of them time bad things happened to people anywhere it was because of their governments, think about it.
I think the best thing you can do if you feel like that is starting to happen, is get out of the country asap. I keep my passport updated just in case

I worry about the real threats ( authorities). Most of them time bad things happened to people anywhere it was because of their governments, think about it.
Most people don't have 2A, or a country like ours.

I'm not saying its not a problem. But our authorities are pretty weak compared to Mao or Stalin,The amount of work and expense to root out everyone like you or me would be monumental. I think they would have there hands full just trying to keep the cities under control.

Latest posts

Back