Holiday dinner for the Biden economic train wreck.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Two cans of Walmart great value turkey and gravy 8.00$
1 package of sliced turkey sandwich meat. 4.00$
Shred and combine with the canned gravy and meat and put on a low simmer.

2 boxes of stove top stuffing, add 1 can each of cream of chicken and cream of celery soup, and 2 cans of water, any extra onion and celery, combine in a large skillet and bake until the top browns. 4.00$ all

1 box of instant mashed potatoes, make what you need. 2$

1 large can of pumpkin, add 1/2 cup of brown sugar per can, 1 cup of small marshmallows, 1 package of crushed Graham crackers per can, glaze in maple syrup and bake until the top gets crispy looking. 5$ all.

1 can of cranberry sauce. 1.50$

Feeds four for approximately 25$

FJB!

...put on a low simmer.

...bake until the top browns.

...make what you need.

...bake until the top gets crispy looking.

Yeah, but since he's Banned Gas Ovens / Stoves, Propane Stoves, White-Gas Stoves, Kerosene-stoves.. and even Wood Stoves... I'm kinda Hyucked aren't I? 🤓

Oh wait! Maybe I can use my Shotgun on reeeeeealy-slow mode? 🤔 (he Said 'that's All ya need', soooo...🤭

jd

Who ever posted this is likely on the money for a lot of people..
A turkey hot dog and fixins..

Attachments

• Turkey Hotdog.jpg
    Turkey Hotdog.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 0
Feeds four for approximately 25$

FJB!
If you lived closer I would invite you for dinner....

I got 2 turkeys here for $.98 a pound at walmart, the little one was maybe $12, big one $19
frozen broccolie for casserole $3
potatoes from garden free
sweet potatoes from Aldi ( whole bag) about $2.50
green beans for casserole free ( frozen, from garden)
gravey package $1 or so, I make my own and add that
pumpkin pie homemade from a pumpkin ( a can of sweetened condensed milk, not sure how much had it for a while)
total cost not much more than $25 and will feed 5 people and a baby ( I am making the big turkey if they come)

Nice! And here I thought I was being frugal! I'm doing the baked ham with apple slices this year, baking the last of the squash and my infamous crab meat stuffing, My aunt and uncle are doing the other half of dinner, we'll be meeting up at the picnic tables in their yard and do dinner by the bonfire. :)

Yeah, but since he's Banned Gas Ovens / Stoves, Propane Stoves, White-Gas Stoves, Kerosene-stoves.. and even Wood Stoves... I'm kinda Hyucked aren't I? 🤓

Oh wait! Maybe I can use my Shotgun on reeeeeealy-slow mode? 🤔 (he Said 'that's All ya need', soooo...🤭

jd
Hmmm. pour a big shot of this on it and spark it up! HUH... I might be onto something!
59-595814_bacardi-151-deg-rum-750ml-bacardi-151.png

Hmmm. pour a big shot of this on it and spark it up! HUH... I might be onto something!
View attachment 119825
Uuuugh. That's good rum, I used to drink it in my younger days. I was at a friends house one night, within walking distance from mine and proceeded to empty the bottle, which I did. It was winter time and all I remember about the walk home was I made snow angel after snow angel all the way home. It's a miracle I didn't get alkyhol poisoning.

It's been discontinued, but there are others.
Didn't know that, I hardly drink anymore, a couple cold beers in the summer and the occasional two fingers of 12 year old scotch.

I had the first two beers since Xmas last week, life was in suck mode and I was in the mood to make clamato.

Ingredients​

• 1 Key lime or ReaLime® (to taste)
  • 4 oz. Clamato® Original
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 dashes habanero pepper sauce
  • 1 12-oz. bottle of beer
  • Ice
  • 1 lime wheel
  • Tajín®

Instructions​

• Run lime across rim of mug.
  • Dip mug in Tajín to coat evenly.
  • Add ice.
  • Add lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, and habanero pepper sauce.
  • Fill with Clamato and beer.
  • Garnish with a lime wheel.
Servings: 1
michelada.jpg

Nice! And here I thought I was being frugal! I'm doing the baked ham with apple slices this year, baking the last of the squash and my infamous crab meat stuffing, My aunt and uncle are doing the other half of dinner, we'll be meeting up at the picnic tables in their yard and do dinner by the bonfire. :)
How about the recipe for your stuffing. That sounds interesring

Uuuugh. That's good rum, I used to drink it in my younger days. I was at a friends house one night, within walking distance from mine and proceeded to empty the bottle, which I did. It was winter time and all I remember about the walk home was I made snow angel after snow angel all the way home. It's a miracle I didn't get alkyhol poisoning.
Been there done that. How do young men survive to be adults???

How about the recipe for your stuffing. That sounds interesring
Here's the fancy version, Serves 4
2 boxes of chicken flavor stove top stuffing.
1/2 cup of diced celery, 1/4 cup of diced green onions, wilt in 1/4 cup of melted butter.
2 packages of crab delight chunks, finely diced.
1/2 cup of crushed cashews or pecans.
1 large can of mushroom chunks, well drained.
1 can of cream of chicken soup.
1 can of cream of celery soup.
4 cans of hot water.
4 eggs well beaten.
Combine in a large mixing bowl.
Garnish with onion slices or onion rings.
place in a large, pre heated cast iron pan and bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes, let sit, covered in a clean towel for twenty minutes.

Alternatively, add two extra eggs and fry in a well greased skillet to make patties.

I think I'll make the patty version later.

Zingy lemon butter sauce:
In a double boiler, melt 1/2 a stick of butter.
add 1/8th tablespoon of finely grated red pepper and a pinch of black.
a large pinch of sea salt.
1/4 cup of lemon juice. keep stirred as it cools back to a semi-solid.

Last edited:
If you buy a turkey when they are on the best sale, you realize that the cost of the turkey per pound is as inexpensive as any meat you can buy. Even making up the sides to go with it can be less than processed possibilities, especially when you watch sales and buy things at the best price. It is an investment, but then you can have meals that are less and you don't need to buy food for other meals, because you have invested in meals, like food storage.

The thing to do, if you have the space, is to make up freezer meals with it. You can make a meal just as you would if you were hosting for others. Cook it all up, turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, whatever vegetable you want. and then dish it out into containers for the freezer. Yes, work, dishes, a mess to clean up the day you are cooking. But then you can have no mess meals for days.

I keep things in these containers that will all go into a microwave. You could wrap the meals in foil and then warm them up in an oven or on a wood stove.

Simmer the carcass for hours and make broth. I freeze it as well in amounts for batches of soup. A 32 or 64 ounce container works great. Broth can also be canned.

You can use containers that are left over from other things, wash them and reuse them. Build up a collection of these reusable containers. A client of mine makes up meals for her widowed father and he grabs them from his freezer and heats them up.

This is becoming a thing for people who are helping out someone who needs quick and easy, but good meals. A former colleague used to visit her now deceased elderly mother and fill her freezer with meals and soups while she was there, for her to heat up and eat when she was alone.

If you build up a collection of reusable containers, it helps with the costs.

We do this with our holiday meals: Ham and scalloped potatoes makes for a great freezer meal. Our traditional New Years meal: smothered steak, rice, gravy, greens, black-eyed peas, makes another great freezer meal. I also do this with soups. It helps me to have some variety day to day, as opposed to making up a meal and eating it for a few days and then getting sick of it. When I went to the headache clinic many years ago for migraines, doctor told me to avoid eating food that is more than three days old in the fridge. Freezer meals do the trick!

I have used canning jars in the freeze. I just don't fill them too full.
freezer meals.jpg
soup freezer meals.JPG

Last edited:
If you buy a turkey when they are on the best sale, you realize that the cost of the turkey per pound is as inexpensive as any meat you can buy. Even making up the sides to go with it can be less than processed possibilities, especially when you watch sales and buy things at the best price. It is an investment, but then you can have meals that are less and you don't need to buy food for other meals, because you have invested in meals, like food storage.

The thing to do, if you have the space, is to make up freezer meals with it. You can make a meal just as you would if you were hosting for others. Cook it all up, turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, whatever vegetable you want. and then dish it out into containers for the freezer. Yes, work, dishes, a mess to clean up the day you are cooking. But then you can have no mess meals for days.

I keep things in these containers that will all go into a microwave. You could wrap the meals in foil and then warm them up in an oven or on a wood stove.

Simmer the carcass for hours and make broth. I freeze it as well in amounts for batches of soup. A 32 or 64 ounce container works great. Broth can also be canned.

You can use containers that are left over from other things, wash them and reuse them. Build up a collection of these reusable containers. A client of mine makes up meals for her widowed father and he grabs them from his freezer and heats them up.

This is becoming a thing for people who are helping out someone who needs quick and easy, but good meals. A former colleague use to visit her now deceased elderly mother and fill her freezer with meals and soups while she was there, for her to heat up and eat when she was alone.

If you build up a collection of reusable containers, it helps with the costs.

We do this with our holiday meals: Ham and scalloped potatoes makes for a great freezer meal. Our traditional New Years meal: smothered steak, rice, gravy, greens, black-eyed peas, makes another great freezer meal. I also do this with soups. It helps me to have some variety day to day, as opposed to making up a meal and eating it for a few days and then getting sick of it. When I went to the headache clinic many years ago for migraines, doctor told me to avoid eating food that is more than three days old in the fridge. Freezer meals do the trick!

I have used canning jars in the freeze. I just don't fill them too full.
View attachment 119868View attachment 119869
Turkey should be cheaper, as it always has been!!

Turkey should be cheaper, as it always has been!!
Yes, but raising turkeys is an option. My grandmother used to raise turkeys on the ranch and let them free range. I should find the photo of her in the field with her turkeys. She would then take them to town and sell most of them to the butcher. She didn't have to butcher all of them, and this was likely before they had electricity on the ranch, so their refrigerator was propane run and couldn't hold dozens of turkeys.

They butchered their own chickens, pigs and cattle, so I'd bet they never had a lot of spare freezer space. Chickens were often butchered to eat at a meal the day of or the day before.

Last edited:
If you buy a turkey when they are on the best sale, you realize that the cost of the turkey per pound is as inexpensive as any meat you can buy.
I don't even make freezer meals, I just buy the turkeys and put them in the freezer
I would to learn how to make turkey lunchmeat out of them and it not tasting dried out

Sadly, some don't!
There is a thing in North Dakota, and maybe other places, that you have 21 alcoholic beverages on your 21st birthday. Some don't survive that.
Our no impulse controll legal guardianship till he was 18 narrcisist is enrolled in a "alive at 25" program at the end of the month......if he attends. Seems too many young fools do themselves or others in before 25YO especially if they drink and drive. Chances of him attending......50/50 The jail is full so unless they do something horrific or offend the social justice warrior attorneys they get a "stern talking to" and are turned free.

I don't even make freezer meals, I just buy the turkeys and put them in the freezer
I would to learn how to make turkey lunchmeat out of them and it not tasting dried out
I can remember mom grinding turkey and chicken meat up with a food grinder clamped to the edge of the counter or table. She would add in some pickles or whatever to make sandwich spread.......great memories. and tasty and delicious.

Back