Holiday dinner for the Biden economic train wreck.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can remember mom grinding turkey and chicken meat up with a food grinder clamped to the edge of the counter or table. She would add in some pickles or whatever to make sandwich spread.......great memories. and tasty and delicious.
--- ---
There was a guy who had the family farm next to my old farm place.. He, his children, and grand children, male and female the whole family all hunted Canadian geese in season.. They would roast the breast meat, grind, freeze and pressure can.. He would make a ground meat, mayo, pickle relish, and a bit of garlic powder (?) seasoning sandwich spread.. He would bring that to the local sports club meetings... It was JUST WONDERFUL....

Frozen turkeys here were on sale for 49 cents a pound.
Over the past week we bought four, cooked them, sliced up the meat and put it into one gallon ziplock bags. Flattened out, they take up very little space in the freezer, all four take up way less space than just one uncooked bird.
Then we took all the remaining debris and fed it to the chickens.

Did you know that chickens love the remains of a fried chicken dinner?
They will strip the bones clean faster than it takes me to type this.

Ya know, I always Wondered how some 'Fast-Food Chicken' places could 'rationalize' having a Chicken as their Mascot.. ie:

1546_logo_1_0.jpg
🤔

..well, I guess... There it Is. 🤓

jd

I find it very ironic.
Chickens are some of the nastiest, most brutal livestock on earth! If two of them get in a fight or escape a possum, its own family will peck the wound until it bleeds to death, and they will eat their own eggs as well if one cracks.

Chickens are Metal, somebody tell DEATHKLOK!

I find it very ironic.
I refuse to turn my hens into cannibals! The leftover chicken goes to the dogs only
chickens do eat anything just about
they are so funny to watch when I come with leftovers, I call them, they all come running to the fence and then all grab as much food as possible and run off with it to eat it , gone in 2 seconds!

I got another .98 cent turkey yesterday while the last ( we have plenty freezer space)
wished I had some way of grinding it up but tried that with one of those grinders you attach to a table. It just didn't work. It kept moving around and not grinding anything right

Does anyone have a good recipe for "Turkey loaf"? I haven't had decent turkey loaf since the 80's!
I had never even heard of this before, so I had to go searching for recipes. There are some out there. This is a good idea, turkey, stuffing and cranberries made into a loaf.

https://tasty.co/recipe/turkey-and-stuffing-meatloaf
Turkey And Stuffing Meatloaf
Presented by McCormick October 05, 2020
Ingredients for 6 servings
MEATLOAF
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
1 ½ cups unseasoned stuffing mix
¾ cup chicken stock
1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
½ cup celery, finely diced
½ cup carrot, finely diced
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 ¼ teaspoons Sage, divided
1 ½ lb ground turkey
1 large egg, beaten

CRANBERRY GLAZE
½ cup jellied whole-berry cranberry sauce
¼ cup ketchup
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
½ teaspoon kosher salt

Preparation
1 Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9 x 5-inch (22 x 12 cm) loaf pan with butter and line the pan with a piece of parchment paper, leaving overhang on the 2 long sides.

2 Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon ground sage. Cook for 4–5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.

3 While the vegetables cool, stir together the stuffing mix and chicken stock in a medium bowl.. Let sit for 15 minutes, until the stuffing mix is soggy and has absorbed all of the liquid

4 Once the vegetables have cooled, add the soaked stuffing mix, ground turkey, remaining teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, remaining ¾ teaspoon ground sage, and the egg. Mix until well combined. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan, pressing down to smooth the top.

5 Bake the turkey and stuffing loaf for 25 minutes.

6 While the meatloaf loaf bakes, make the glaze:

In a medium bowl, mix together the cranberry sauce, ketchup, and mustard.

7 Pour the glaze over the meatloaf, then return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until the internal temperature 165°F (75°C).

8 Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then use the parchment to carefully lift out the meatloaf and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch-thick slices and serve immediately.

Latest posts

Back