Home invasion prep

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could use one. I know very little about guns and what they are each used for. I could use a good hunting rifle.
They aren't well-suited as a hunting rifle. You can't put a scope or red-dot on them.

My Mom called me once and asked to borrow a shotgun. She was worried about people breaking in. She had foolishly allowed a relative to stay with her for a few weeks and that girl had her bad news boyfriend over a couple times. Mom told her to find other arrangements. So I brought her my Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Ga. Mom had used a pump shotgun before and was familiar enough that I wasn't worried about her.
While she was gone one day someone broke in and the only thing they took was my shotgun. Why didn't I take her my old beat up Mossburg I will never know.
I bought her a 20 Ga. pump with an 18 inch barrel to replace my Remington.

While she was gone one day someone broke in and the only thing they took was my shotgun. Why didn't I take her my old beat up Mossburg I will never know.

A study was done some years ago about the habits and commonalities of burglars. It found that the 3 things burglars want is cash, gold/silver, and guns. All three of which are easily turned into cash. But if they are desperate enough they will take literally anything that they might be able to turn into cash. I learned in my time as an LEO that desperation really is the standard for what they take and what they don't. Besides, a guy walking down the road with a shotgun is one thing, a guy walking down the road with two is a whole other thing.

"Say hello to my little friend!!!"
An excellent choice for a lady for home defense.
Totally adequate for the job*.

*There likely will be a mess to clean up afterwards, but that's what mops are for.

My cousin asked about home defence guns and we settled on a 20Ga pump for her.

I keep a 12Ga pump and a couple of pistols handy for home defence. Doors and windows are locked unless they are open. The wife prefers her revolver. Neither of us sleeps very well so most of the time at least one of us is awake so a burglar had better not make any noise. Better doors and windows are on the list of improvements as are fire resistant exterior and roofing.

Any dog that barks at "strange things" is golden for home defense. Even a Chihuahua is effective. No home invader wants that noise...

Steel framed entry doors with strong deadbolts are great...

Ditch the sliding patio doors. They're very vulnerable...

Motion lights, bars on Windows, lockable gates, are all good...

Latest posts

Back